Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

I always though of Oklahoma as middle America, salt of the earth, loyal American types? What is with this? Banning the American flag? How is waving the flag going to make any American angry?

ANOTHER school bans students from bringing American flags to football game | EAGnews.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 01:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
LOL.

You need to talk to bawac about how "liberal" Oklahoma is.

We're the Reddest of the Red, in terms of skin tone and socio-politically.

At least in Owasso (not the case of South Carolina) sounds like they don't want the students blocking everyone's view. They need to let them bring them in, run on the field at halftime with it, and then put them away.

Problem solved.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I always though of Oklahoma as middle America, salt of the earth, loyal American types? What is with this? Banning the American flag? How is waving the flag going to make any American angry?

ANOTHER school bans students from bringing American flags to football game | EAGnews.org
Well, Oklahoma conservatives think it's far more important to watch every moment of a football game without having to live with taking a chance with the American flag blocking the view for one moment.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:

I don't know, I wouldn't go so far at to say the entire state is liberal because one high school athletic director would not allow the students to bring in American flags. And who said the flag was banned because it might make an American angry?

Why don't you wait and see what reason the AD gives as to why he would not allow flags? Maybe it was a ban on flags in general, as in the Confederate flag, so they ended up banning all flags.

Whatever the reason, I don't think anyone is going to believe the entire state of OK went liberal.

Last edited by _redbird_; 08-31-2016 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
My OP was intended to be a little bit of a joke. OK is one of the last states I would figure to go liberal. But like Texas, I'm sure there's some liberalism, like in the schools govt. etc.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
My OP was intended to be a little bit of a joke. OK is one of the last states I would figure to go liberal. But like Texas, I'm sure there's some liberalism, like in the schools govt. etc.
You are right, I am sure there are people who would be called liberal. I am sick of the way people say the word liberal the way white people use to say the N word. All that blame game is sickening.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:17 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
The flags weren't kicked, out, the students had the flags on metal poles. The school didn't want metal poles in the crowd.

Dumb right wing overreaction to half true news can end now. (but it likely won't)

Old 09-01-2016, 10:48 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
I can say with some certainty, that Oklahoma has not now, nor has ever been, a liberal state. I don't see it becoming "liberal" in the future.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You are right, I am sure there are people who would be called liberal. I am sick of the way people say the word liberal the way white people use to say the N word. All that blame game is sickening.
Amen.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:56 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:

1. I don't think that they "banned the American Flag". It's the FLAG POLLS that were of concern. At a foot ball game.

2. I am a liberal progressive Christian and a "salt of the earth, loyal American type" who contributes to charities that help veterans, sends greeting cards to soldiers at Walter Reed at Christmas time, and has a house festooned with American flag buntings. I live in Ohio. A pretty moderate state, and I am happy here.

3. My dad, a former Marine, Koran conflict vet, and a Republican - old school type, does not question my loyalty to America, nor does he question weather or not I or anyone who disagrees with him is a "loyal American". Why should you? I have a nephew in the US Navy right now, and two other relatives in the Air Force.

4. Loyal Americans live is Massachusetts and Mississippi, North Carolina and Nebraska, Hawaii and Alaska. Florida, Michigan, Texas, Minnesota, Maine, California, Indiana, New York, and Oregon.

And Oklahoma and Ohio.

And in the rest of the states I did not mention. There is no one region, party, or state, that "corners the market" on loyalty and patriotism. People display their patriotism in a variety of ways.

Peaceful protest, and being critical of our country at times is part of that. As is flag waving, buntings and parades.

"This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land".... Woody Guthrie. Come to think of it, wasn't he from Oklahoma?

America is big enough for both of us, and all of us. And Christianity is not a "state religion". State mandated religions were one of the reasons why people came to America. To practice the religion of their choice - or no religion at all.

Last edited by sheena12; 09-01-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma