U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,983,054 times

Advertisements

I should have qualified what I stated. To my knowledge, no such anti-gay legislation had passed. But I'm one who pays much more attention to the anti-abortion initiatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 01:58 AM

18,101 posts, read 14,387,578 times
The law will be amended to apply only where abortions are provided: Oklahoma lawmaker abandons anti-abortion bathroom signs law | News OK

Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 AM

14,699 posts, read 441,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Maybe they should put the signs up on dumpsters. But seriously, how pathetic is this society when they have NO ABORTIONS signs in the bathroom. Are there that many women having abortions in Oklahoma's restrooms?
Do you remember the advertisement poster for abortion clinics plastered all over the London tube?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 AM

18,180 posts, read 8,172,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
Many sponsored by one, odious woman. And they were all defeated! I think that's worth a lot.
I can think of better but unpublishable adjectives. Fortunately term limits caught up with her, and it should be every Oklahomans sincere hope that she never considers a run for higher office.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 5,069,964 times
The way it usually seems to work with these ridiculous laws is they propose them and then the national media picks up on them. Oklahoma becomes the laughing-stock of the nation and then in embarrassment, the lawmaker pulls them, usually on reason that they weren't going to do what was intended.

Why not just stop proposing them in the first place and save Oklahoma the negative PR? This is a state that is viewed as one of the worst by most of the country and it doesn't need any more negative national media attention.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:36 PM

15,686 posts, read 14,175,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The law will be amended to apply only where abortions are provided: Oklahoma lawmaker abandons anti-abortion bathroom signs law | News OK
Kinda like putting anti-gun signs in a gun store. Yea, that'll work.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 861,894 times
Being prolife, I'm against abortion. Be pro Constitution, I'm against forced signage on private businesses concerning abortion.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:48 PM

3,452 posts, read 2,451,262 times
So typical of OKlahoma- Wasting money they can't really afford to waste, on this type of stuff. Why do so many OKies and Okie elected officials insist on shoving their religious and uptight morals down everyone elses throats? I thought conservatives were against government intruding on people's personal lives? Okies always squawk about "personal freedom" and "keep gubmint out of MY business" But yet insist on inflicting their brand of morality on everyone. But at the same time, let 200,000 go without health coverage just to stick to Obama.
Against abortion? don't have one then. Simple as that.
I think abortion is a terrible choice, but that's just it-it's a choice.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 AM

18,101 posts, read 14,387,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
So typical of OKlahoma- Wasting money they can't really afford to waste, on this type of stuff. Why do so many OKies and Okie elected officials insist on shoving their religious and uptight morals down everyone elses throats? I thought conservatives were against government intruding on people's personal lives? Okies always squawk about "personal freedom" and "keep gubmint out of MY business" But yet insist on inflicting their brand of morality on everyone. But at the same time, let 200,000 go without health coverage just to stick to Obama.
Against abortion? don't have one then. Simple as that.
I think abortion is a terrible choice, but that's just it-it's a choice.
The majority of Okies vote like the political issues they hold dearest to their hearts are to be pro God, pro Gun, anti Gay, anti Abortion and lower taxes. Other issues, such as better jobs and education, take back seats at best. If you were to ask them why they vote for candidates against their best interests, it would only make them mad, because those are their best interests. In turn, it leads to incumbent Republicans getting reelected. That and the fact that there are 7 additional Republican legislators at the State Capitol for next session only make them believe they must be doing something right for the voters. I fear the economic calamities and/or vast corruption exposed it would first need to take place before the majority of voters would turn against Republican legislators at voting time. It would be nice to have more than a few Republican legislators who can govern like guns, gays and abortion aren't of such grave importance. It would also be nice, if they wouldn't govern public education like they send their children and grandchildren to private schools and universities.

For the historical background to explain the situation, many highly conservative Christians were drawn to Oklahoma when it opened to settlement. They wanted to get away from the hell of liberal states as close by as Missouri. So one of the first orders of business to attend to when Oklahoma became a state in 1907 was to ban alcohol. And today, that represents what Oklahoma has inherited, while still struggling to allow sales of beer and wine in groceries and convenience stores. Nearly two dozen of 77 counties still haven't legalized liquor by the drink.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 5,069,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The majority of Okies vote like the political issues they hold dearest to their hearts are to be pro God, pro Gun, anti Gay, anti Abortion and lower taxes. Other issues, such as better jobs and education, take back seats at best. If you were to ask them why they vote for candidates against their best interests, it would only make them mad, because those are their best interests. In turn, it leads to incumbent Republicans getting reelected. That and the fact that there are 7 additional Republican legislators at the State Capitol for next session only make them believe they must be doing something right for the voters. I fear the economic calamities and/or vast corruption exposed it would first need to take place before the majority of voters would turn against Republican legislators at voting time. It would be nice to have more than a few Republican legislators who can govern like guns, gays and abortion aren't of such grave importance. It would also be nice, if they wouldn't govern public education like they send their children and grandchildren to private schools and universities.

For the historical background to explain the situation, many highly conservative Christians were drawn to Oklahoma when it opened to settlement. They wanted to get away from the hell of liberal states as close by as Missouri. So one of the first orders of business to attend to when Oklahoma became a state in 1907 was to ban alcohol. And today, that represents what Oklahoma has inherited, while still struggling to allow sales of beer and wine in groceries and convenience stores. Nearly two dozen of 77 counties still haven't legalized liquor by the drink.
This is completely true.

There is somewhat of a generational divide in Oklahoma. Most Millennials here, while still more conservative than younger people in most of the country, support a libertarian approach as opposed to the religious moralist approach that dominates 23rd and Lincoln. Younger Oklahomans for the most part want to do away with the draconian liquor laws as well as legalize marijuana. Most of them believe homosexuality is sin and a shameful behavior but aren't as against gay rights as the older generation. For instance, a good friend of mine is very anti-gay but still supports gay marriage and gay rights because in a free country, they deserve the same rights as everyone else.

Hopefully change comes to Oklahoma whenever power shifts from the baby boomers to the younger generation. Unfortunately, the state is probably about 20-30 years from that happening. Much like Oklahoma was a bastion of religious fundamentalism in early statehood and attracted fundamentalists from all over to settle here, today, the near tyrannical policies of the Baptist church-controlled government is driving a lot of younger people with more progressive views away from the state. I don't blame them either. Things aren't changing in Oklahoma in the near future and we only get one life to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma