U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,658,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Oklahoma congress is very strong against abortion, however, which I like.

Why? If you don't like abortion don't have one. But don't make that decision for the rest of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,986,983 times
Because folks like me, and there's a lot of us, believe it's murder.

Our laws point to this truth more and more when a criminal is tried for double murder. When the woman is killed and, as a result, her unborn child dies too, the murderer is charged with committing double homicide, as it should be.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM

14,715 posts, read 453,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Why? If you don't like abortion don't have one. But don't make that decision for the rest of the population.
Decisions are not always an individual's choice in a democracy. The "rest of the population" was involved in the decision. You can share and promote your personal views. Is "if you don't like an abortion don't have one" a convincing argument?

Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM

18,125 posts, read 14,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Decisions are not always an individual's choice in a democracy. The "rest of the population" was involved in the decision. You can share and promote your personal views. Is "if you don't like an abortion don't have one" a convincing argument?
LOL, was the "rest of the population" involved with a couple's decision to take off their clothes and have sexual intercourse?

Old 01-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, was the "rest of the population" involved with a couple's decision to take off their clothes and have sexual intercourse?
You have to take your clothes off? Too cold right now in Oklahoma.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:07 PM

874 posts, read 1,433,856 times
Why can't you all keep your religious beliefs to yourselves? Why do you have to force them on others? My religion doesn't believe that abortion is murder, what makes yours better than mine?

Is it the fact that Baptists decided to use abortion in the late 70s as crass tool for political gain to protect segregated schools? The SBC originally praised the Roe v Wade decision.

Quote:
Conventional wisdom holds that the rise of the religious right as a political force to be reckoned with during the 1970s and 1980s was driven by conservative Christians’ intense opposition to the Supreme Court’s decision in Roe v. Wade. But Dartmouth College’s Randall Balmer writes that “the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny.” He notes that “it wasn’t until 1979 — a full six years after Roe — that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but …. because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.”

When Roe was first decided, most of the Southern evangelicals who today make up the backbone of the anti-abortion movement believed that abortion was a deeply personal issue in which government shouldn’t play a role. Some were hesitant to take a position on abortion because they saw it as a “Catholic issue,” and worried about the influence of Catholic teachings on American religious observance.

Shortly after the decision was handed down, The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,” read the January 31, 1973, piece by W. Barry Garrett, The Baptist Press’s Washington bureau chief.
When Southern Baptists Were Pro-Choice | BillMoyers.com

Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM

11,451 posts, read 5,076,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Why can't you all keep your religious beliefs to yourselves? Why do you have to force them on others? My religion doesn't believe that abortion is murder, what makes yours better than mine?

Is it the fact that Baptists decided to use abortion in the late 70s as crass tool for political gain to protect segregated schools? The SBC originally praised the Roe v Wade decision.

It was actually Jerry Falwell who brought this message to the masses. Falwell, and to a lesser extent Pat Robertson, is ultimately responsible for almost every aspect of our politics today. Before Falwell, most Christians believed that politics was a dirty game and no place for a real Christian. They believed that Christianity was a personal matter and not something to be enforced or promoted by the state. Falwell changed all that in the early 1980s. Falwell cemented the idea that a person's faith hangs on their position on abortion and homosexuality, as opposed to Jesus' teaching to love your neighbor as yourself. Today's Christianity is not Jesus' Christianity, it's Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson's.

Just think, if not for Jerry Falwell, there wouldn't be near as much opposition to LGBT rights. We would have never had George W. Bush as President and definitely wouldn't have Trump.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM

A car note is keeping you in this place?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post

Technology and the ability to see inside the womb has changed the perception of abortion greatly. With the technology we have now there is no more if this "mass of tissue" nonsense. It's hard to argue with science and verifiable data.

Also, one not need be religious to be Pro Life. I know atheists and those in the LGBTQ community who oppose abortion. A simple Google search will suffice.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,658,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Is "if you don't like an abortion don't have one" a convincing argument?
Absolutely. What happens to my body is between me and my doctor with the ultimate decision being mine. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma