Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Oklahoma for homeschoolers with tech jobs, no rich snobs, Bible Belt, Nazarene influence

Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,626 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked in different ways, shapes, and forms, but I have more than one question...so here goes..

We are from MN and I'm pretty sick of it here. The people aren't "nice". In fact, they are rude. They drive like jerks, I hold doors open for people and they don't even say thank you. It's sickening. Where we live, in Woodbury, its all a bunch of rich snobs. We live in the middle income area but are surrounded by snotty Woodburians. The schools here are ok, but there are no values being placed in the children. I actually homeschool my kids now. I have stood at the corner and waited for busses with my kids only to hear swear words and other rude comments coming out of the mouths of 7 year olds. I know that this is society and I can't change that, but there has to be something better than this!

I also hate the cold weather. It's cold and/or snowing from November or December until the end of March. We had 2 big snowstorms last year in March. Right now, its cold and snowy outside. I hate it. And I grew up here. I don't mind snow or cold...but -10 degrees (or worse sometimes) is not fun. They just passed a gas tax here too. The cost of living in MN is ridiculous.

Like I said, I homeschool. One thing I realized about OK is that they are accepting of homeschooling. i love that! Here in MN, I have to file paperwork every 3 months and jump through a bunch of hoops just to school my own kids. It's ridiculous. I feel like its my right to educate my children.

I also believe in God and would love to find a church that suites me. Here we have plenty of churches, but people are so fake. I don't know..maybe that is everywhere. So I guess my complaints about MN are they are rude, government is too controlling, and dishonest.

My husband is in computer networking. He currently is working for a bank dealing with issues on their servers & computers. I'm not good at describing his job..its more involved than that. However, I feel like he could get a better job as he is such a hard worker.

So my question is...1) What areas are more accepting of God fearing people, especially homeschoolers? 2) What area would be best to look for tech jobs and 3) Is OK friendly or are they snobby or what areas are more friendly than others? 4) What are the negatives of living in OK?

I was looking at Bethany...any other areas that would be better. Also, we currently have a 3 bedroom house built in 1993 that we paid about $275,000 for. Can someone compare the cost of a house in OK to that. Is it best to just move to OK before finding a job?? I heard it was hard to find a job because of being out of state. Ok, thanks!!

I realize there is no perfect anything, but i need a change of scenery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,387,750 times
OK is concidered part of the "Bible Belt".
Churches in Oklahoma - Yahoo! Search Results
Welcome to Oklahoma Churches
People are very friendly and helpful in OK.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 PM

533 posts, read 1,707,875 times
Bethany is a nice town and home of Southern Nazarene University and there is a Strong Nazarene influence there. I lived there when I was an infant or so I am told. There are many nice areas around Oklahoma City. There are lots of home schoolers here, too.

New homes seem to be typically in the $125 to $130 per square foot price range.

I wold try to find a job first. The unemployment rate is low but it depends a lot on your particular requirements. The natural gas and other energy businesses are strong here and the economy is more diversified.

Best wishes.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,947,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofMN View Post
Where we live, in Woodbury, its all a bunch of rich snobs. We live in the middle income area but are surrounded by snotty Woodburians.
So why did you move there? didn't you check it out before you decided to live like that?

Quote:
I actually homeschool my kids now.
Most of the churches have home school support groups. If you are an independent non-church affiliated Christian, you can find several non affiliated Christian groups as well.
Quote:
there has to be something better than this!
yep
Quote:
Right now, its cold and snowy outside. I hate it. And I grew up here.
do like I do....blame my parents......
Quote:
They just passed a gas tax here too.
All we do is pass gas...........
Quote:
One thing I realized about OK is that they are accepting of homeschooling.
A lot of areas encourage it.....
Quote:
I have to .......... jump through a bunch of hoops just to school my own kids.
Phys Ed?
Quote:
It's ridiculous. I feel like its my right to educate my children.
or not educate them........same right, different perspective
Quote:
I also believe in God and would love to find a church that suites me.
How about one that will excite you?
Quote:
Here we have plenty of churches, but people are so fake. I don't know..maybe that is everywhere.
It is

Quote:
However, I feel like he could get a better job as he is such a hard worker.
Better job, lower pay, better lifestyle....you decide if it is a fair trade.
Quote:
So my question is...1) What areas are more accepting of God fearing people, especially homeschoolers?
Most people are not that God fearing.....they adore Him to much to be fearful. A typical introduction/greeting here is "Hi, My name is Greg, are you new to the area? Have you found a church yet? We sure would like for you to visit ours when you have a chance." Then you get to talk...........
Quote:
2) What area would be best to look for tech jobs
Tulsa, OKC, are most likely....but a good business can be developed in small towns everywhere.
Quote:
3) Is OK friendly or are they snobby or what areas are more friendly than others?
I'm pretty cranky, but almost everyone else is nice. We have snobs, but we try not to let them get away with it. In fact, I think our snobs would be the nice people where you are.
Quote:
4) What are the negatives of living in OK?
Mostly people like me......but I stay at home most the time so you don't have to watch too closely. But if you see a gray Dodge pick up quad cab, you might want to keep your kids inside and tie your dog up.
Quote:
I was looking at Bethany...any other areas that would be better. Also, we currently have a 3 bedroom house built in 1993 that we paid about $275,000 for. Can someone compare the cost of a house in OK to that.
Right now in Bethany there is only one house near the $275,000 price range. It is listed for $280,000, is about 3100 sf, 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, three living rooms,and two dining rooms. It is still under construction. The School district is Putnam City.

There are currently 18 houses for sale that are three bedroom, two bath houses in Bethany. The average price is $108,488. The average size is 1467 sf, the average house was built in 1963, and has been on the market for 83 days.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,397,421 times
Hey GP!

You sold me!
(Your bad-sounding attitude is SO good!)

Can I talk you into going to the NH forum or
(any other forum) and selling my place,
so I can get to OK this year?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 PM

450 posts, read 2,051,923 times
Wink Some perspective, please. I lived in Minnesota for 35 years.

Ok, I think the cold winter is getting you down. I do agree with you that Minnesota is rather liberal and what you might call "secular progressive". I never found it to be "snobby", but you are clearly in a very "ritzy" area and don't fit in.

I am a Christian and rather conservative but am not militant about it. In fact, I may have had a hand in writing some of the books you use for home schooling--ABeka Books.

I think you should look into the Pryor area. I think Google is locating a big facility there and it is a nice location. Close enough to Tulsa and also near Grand Lake and Lake Hudson. There are lots of service-tourist-vacation jobs around Grand Lake and it will remind you of the best-part of Minnesota--the lakes and the woods. Do expect lower pay. But the cost-of-living is less.

Pryor is attracting lots of industry and Grove on Grand Lake is also growing.

There are plenty of good churches and most people are pretty conservative--they tote guns and can swear a blue-streak like cowboys and cowgirls when they are a mind to--in other words--honest and plain-speaking folks.

If you are in any way a "self-righteous" person or too judgmental you will not get along in Oklahoma. But if you are willing to be friendly and respectful of honest living you will fit in just fine. And the winters are alot warmer!

You have to come for a visit.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,602,645 times
1. I think all the areas in OK are accepting of God-fearing people and homeschoolers. I guess Bethany has a more "religious" reputation than other areas.

2. The best places to find work are the Tulsa and OKC metro areas, but don't overlook rural areas.

3. Oklahoma people are really friendly. The rural areas are the most friendly.

4. The biggest negative is the hot summer weather. You should visit in July or August to see if you could put up with the heat.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:43 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,947,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post

4. The biggest negative is the hot summer weather. You should visit in July or August to see if you could put up with the heat.
If you can't stand the heat, stay in the kitchen.....everyone has central air........

Old 03-01-2008, 08:44 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,776,719 times
As far as DH looking for a networking job -- my family is relocating to Mustang, OK from NJ. Our moving van left yesterday, and the kids, dog and I fly out tomorrow morning. My husband is a network administrator and he found it difficult to find a job while we were in NJ. We bought a house in Mustang at the end of January and he sent out his resume with the local address and phone number on it. The first day he sent his resume out like that he got a call, did a phone interview and was invited down for an in-person interview. He was hired the same day at the same pay he was making in NJ. Now I really think he just happened to be in the right place at the right time, but I do think having a local address would help his search.

If you want additional info on our relocation, dm me, or ask here. When we went to OK in January to look for a house we found the area to be VERY friendly. Also, the folks on this forum are awesome The help, advice and information I've gotten here has been wonderful.

Last edited by colleeng47; 03-01-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 12,574 times
Default Lawton is a good place

I lived in MN for 8 years, graduated from high school there. I loved it up there, except for the cold, big surprise. I've now been in Lawton 10 years (with quite a few in between). Acceptance down here depends on a few things, but the thing I like about Lawton is that it's so diverse. There are many different nationalities living here due to Fort Sill. Lawton is much more accepting of differences than many other places. If you're Baptist you're definitely coming to the right place. I know MN has a large Catholic population but it's a minority here. Lawton is actually the 4th largest city in the state and growing. As for homeschooling I know several people who do that and I've been told there's a group that supports each other and they do a lot of activities together. If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma