U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 AM
 
4,508 posts, read 2,279,305 times
Reputation: 9572

Advertisements

I emailed Amazon to let them know what I think. Their email back to me indicated the new tax policy is due to a "business agreement".


Quote:
Due to changes in our business relationships and activities, starting March 1, 2017, Amazon and its subsidiaries will be required to collect tax on orders shipped to destinations in the state of Oklahoma.

So...they stepped into this land mine willingly and with intent.


They should have told Oklahoma to "bite me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Jenks, Ok
874 posts, read 1,430,406 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I emailed Amazon to let them know what I think. Their email back to me indicated the new tax policy is due to a "business agreement".





So...they stepped into this land mine willingly and with intent.


They should have told Oklahoma to "bite me".
You know that tax has always been required legally. If you haven't been paying Oklahoma directly for out of state purchases on your taxes then you have been violating the law. Now Amazon is going to pay the required tax for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 12:01 PM
 
14,612 posts, read 397,370 times
Reputation: 22958
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Basically, amazon reliably replaces a lot of other stores with quality products, so if I have to pay sales tax, its still very worth it.

I've had that problem with Walmart. I only get pet food there now, and occasionally groceries. But since I buy those things, the nice helpful pictures pop up from my brousing history and I don't have to navigate their sometimes odd catagories.

I'd guess they'd charge tax on Kindle or not depending on the wording of the law and what it exempts.
Have you looked into chewy.com for pet supplies? It works for us. I call my orders in and brazenly ask for a discount. Got one all but one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:03 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 2,279,305 times
Reputation: 9572
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
You know that tax has always been required legally. If you haven't been paying Oklahoma directly for out of state purchases on your taxes then you have been violating the law. Now Amazon is going to pay the required tax for you.
Your silly argument doesn't hold water, so stop making a fool of yourself.


The sales tax is for purchases made in the state. Yes, I know my house is considered where the purchase is made, but that's not where the exchange of money is made.


Yes, I'm aware of your argument. I already paid income tax. If I can avoid paying further tax on the same money, I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Jenks, Ok
874 posts, read 1,430,406 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Your silly argument doesn't hold water, so stop making a fool of yourself.


The sales tax is for purchases made in the state. Yes, I know my house is considered where the purchase is made, but that's not where the exchange of money is made.


Yes, I'm aware of your argument. I already paid income tax. If I can avoid paying further tax on the same money, I will.
My "silly argument" is the law. You have been breaking it.

https://www.ok.gov/tax/Businesses/Ta...iness_Use_Tax/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Your silly argument doesn't hold water, so stop making a fool of yourself.


The sales tax is for purchases made in the state. Yes, I know my house is considered where the purchase is made, but that's not where the exchange of money is made.


Yes, I'm aware of your argument. I already paid income tax. If I can avoid paying further tax on the same money, I will.
A couple of times I have bought something sold by a company in Oklahoma. They did charge tax. They've been required to since the order was entirely within the state.

The thing about Amazon is i'm enrirely satisfied with their service and policy and have never had a problem when something turned out to be not as advertised or didn't show. They retrurned my money without a quibble. One reason why I don't buy much but groceries on Walmart's site is if there is a problems its not so simple. Or they require it to be part of a group of things coming to a minimum to get stuff like no shipping cost. (and their sites lacks the easy navigation of Amazon). Likewise, I had more than a few problems on ebay which were hard to resolve. This matters more to me than some sales tax.

I save a lot on Amazon simply because the prices are good to start with and likely wouldn't find better deals on less populated sites where the price is likely higher.

I'm also unclear about just how they will be charging tax. Will they be charging tax for OK only in Oklahoma, and not tax for others or whatever tax some other state charges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 2,279,305 times
Reputation: 9572
I agree that Amazon's customer service is better than any other that I've ever dealt with. Really, shopping on Amazon is perfect in just about every way. Like you said, nightbird, navigation is quick and easy.


I don't know if their new tax structure is nationwide or just some states. I think they already charge tax for states where they have a warehouse or distribution center. I'm sure they'll have to legally charge what Oklahoma tax is and not what some other state tax is.


It's a mess.


I routinely do business with one other out-of-state website that charges tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
 
Location: plano
6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
Reputation: 6275
I am a Costco fan. They are as good as Amazon in most ways except their prices tend to be lower. I do not know about sale tax in Oklahoma. But compare and see if those comparisons of price I read are accurate. I am no tax expert nor do I want to be, but some states charge sales tax for online purchases only if the seller has a location in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Jenks, Ok
874 posts, read 1,430,406 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I am a Costco fan. They are as good as Amazon in most ways except their prices tend to be lower. I do not know about sale tax in Oklahoma. But compare and see if those comparisons of price I read are accurate. I am no tax expert nor do I want to be, but some states charge sales tax for online purchases only if the seller has a location in the state.
I just got back from going to Costco on lunch in south Tulsa. So yes, they charge sales tax here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I agree that Amazon's customer service is better than any other that I've ever dealt with. Really, shopping on Amazon is perfect in just about every way. Like you said, nightbird, navigation is quick and easy.


I don't know if their new tax structure is nationwide or just some states. I think they already charge tax for states where they have a warehouse or distribution center. I'm sure they'll have to legally charge what Oklahoma tax is and not what some other state tax is.


It's a mess.


I routinely do business with one other out-of-state website that charges tax.
A while ago, I bought a phone from Amazon where the seller was in OKC. I was charged tax for that as it was the same state. I am curious how they figure this with the state. I doubt if the seller is in Maine they can collect sales tax for Oklahoma.

Mostly I buy food form Walmart, and I think it will even out as the other feature of this new bill is to not charge sales tax on food. I think this state is one of the few who do. I spend more on food then I do on stuff so one cost will go down and one will go up.

I wouldn't mind paying it if they promise and legally require the taxes to go ONLY to public schools too. I'm very glad my son is long grown up and the state he lives in had much higher rated publlic schools than this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top