U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,732,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Your silly argument doesn't hold water, so stop making a fool of yourself.

The sales tax is for purchases made in the state. Yes, I know my house is considered where the purchase is made, but that's not where the exchange of money is made.

Yes, I'm aware of your argument. I already paid income tax. If I can avoid paying further tax on the same money, I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM

14,612 posts, read 397,370 times
Reading the local paper - Amazon may be the least of all new taxes in Oklahoma. There are alternative options for toilet paper but medical attention and utilities are hard to replace.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Reading the local paper - Amazon may be the least of all new taxes in Oklahoma. There are alternative options for toilet paper but medical attention and utilities are hard to replace.
One of the adjustments proposed and which sounded likely is eliminating the tax on food. This would follow other states, like California, which has a fairly sales tax, but it does not tax basic needs like food. Then the small towns have been complaining that losing the tax on food would take a big chunk of their income.

The one good part of this new proposal is not taxing food, as food is not a luxury. This state has higher percentages of disease linked to bad diets and being overweight. The small towns need to look for a way to support themselves without damaging people's health.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:09 PM

I am all for not taxing food but medical appointments or power/gas/water? For some the suggested $20 increase in power bills will hurt. 250$ may be the Christmas budget or the difference on the dinner table.

As far as food is concerned - I do not see too many obese people (not trying to be personal - i.e. women size 20 and up). Good food is not cheap and it is not cheap anywhere. I offered over and over to show neighbors how to bake bread, cook meals which cover two or more days in under an hour, even called when I was at a store with teaser prices (3 red peppers 1$ - hello freezer), ... Lead the horse to water ...

Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,732,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What new taxes is considered? I did read about gas tax.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
What new taxes is considered? I did read about gas tax.
I don't remember any others specifically mentioned. But they are looking hard for more income. A couple of small towns have offically spoken out about it. The sales tax is the only income they have. But then, just the same, food is a basic need and especially in an area where incomes are low, the tax builds up the cost to where some simply may not be able to afford enough. That is wrong.

Most states have a gas tax. It's usually saved for repair of streets and alternate transportation so it does provide some payback. Most areas, it can be used for other than streets, though. If you pay a gas tax for road repair, then they need to use it to fix the roads.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 13,101,672 times
Just a wild thought based on what has occurred in other states;

Now that Amazon is collecting sales tax in Oklahoma, they could apply for some economic development program to keep a percentage (10-40%) of that sales tax for a specific period of time (3-10 years) in exchange for opening a distribution or administrative center in the state with a guarantee number of new employees.

I mean, it worked out that way in other states........

Old 02-11-2017, 01:00 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,992,313 times
Perhaps the reason Amazon started charging sales tax is because they signed an agreement to build an Amazon Warehouse in Oklahoma and that creates nexus ...meaning they're now an "Oklahoma business" for sales tax purposes. The same thing happened here in NC about 4 years ago. Eventually, they'll have warehouses in all 50 states and sales tax will be collected everywhere. After all, how far can those drones fly, if you want something delivered 2 hours after you ordered it?

Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM

https://www.ok.gov/tax/Businesses/Ta...fective_Dates/
Fallin Outlines New Tax Plan At State Of The State | WVIK
Oklahoma House passes bill to collect tax on Internet sales | News OK

Old 02-11-2017, 08:23 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,279,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Perhaps the reason Amazon started charging sales tax is because they signed an agreement to build an Amazon Warehouse in Oklahoma and that creates nexus ...meaning they're now an "Oklahoma business" for sales tax purposes. The same thing happened here in NC about 4 years ago. Eventually, they'll have warehouses in all 50 states and sales tax will be collected everywhere. After all, how far can those drones fly, if you want something delivered 2 hours after you ordered it?
If Amazon were opening any kind of center in Oklahoma, we'd be hearing about it non-stop.

I remember when AOL opened a large CS center here. They got unbelievable perks for doing so. They signed a contract with the state and when the contract was ready to expire, they shut down and moved to India.

The upside for the state was employees, much more income to spend, more state income tax paid, etc. It really was a win-win for both AOL and the state. And lots of people made very good money working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or