U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM

11,414 posts, read 5,038,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
They just recently started targeting specific areas. Before a couple of months ago, the sirens went off all over town regardless of where the tornado was and which direction it was headed, and it's a large area to cover. Now they are more specific. We'll see how it works. Since tornadoes are unpredictable, I dunno. If someone lives on the Moore/Oklahoma City border and the tornado is in Moore, are the sirens on the OKC side going to sound?

I'd be interested in seeing the map as to how it breaks down. How does it overlap?
I think its a step in the right direction. Oklahoma County is so large and there is no reason for sirens to go off up by Quail Springs Mall for something down by Lake Stanley Draper. Sounding sirens in the entire county every time there is a warning was causing people to ignore them.

With the current policy however, you know that if you do hear the sirens, its time to take cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 AM

1,404 posts, read 2,377,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Sounding sirens in the entire county every time there is a warning was causing people to ignore them
That's exactly what happened in Joplin, MO leading to the disaster there. Some people didn't take the sirens seriously when an EF5 was headed their way.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oFJEWluc4Uk

Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The coverage is pretty good unless it was like the last one that hit Moore. The thing formed around Newcastle and they just didn't have time to get the warning out. Anymore that is really the only thing to worry about. If they form anywhere in southwest Oklahoma usually there is plenty of time to track it and figure out what to do.

Just getting a few days advance warning helps you to know to be tuned into the weather on the days that are at risk.

When I was a kid, you pretty much didn't know they were on you until the tornado siren went off.
I remember that. I was watching something on tv when they broke in to the show. It looked huge and dark and you could see how it swirrled. The two news people were talking about the petting zoo and hoping it wasn't too bad. I still don't and never will feel 'comfortable with them, but take some comfort in the way storms go around Cushing. Now if only the quakes did too...

It's not huge, but still matters that all the doors on one side of my house lean exactly the same slant, and I'm sure will get worse with more little and bigger ones. And I can't afford earthquake insurence. I'm hopeful the movement to make the frakers pay for their quakes bears fruit, but in this current political climate it may not.

If I was to build or buy a new home here, I would want a storeroom which doubled as one of those reinforced safe rooms, giving both safety but not unusable space.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Research, ask questions. We found a very little known grant by the county we lived in in TX which paid 1/2.
I've ask, but I know this county doesn't offer anything like that or it would be mentioned. And this is a small town, and a very limited budget. They are trying to figure out how to help rebuild the part of downtown which was badly damage in the earthquake. At this point, they're still picking of debries which keeps falling and some of the buildings haven't been inspected yet to see if the are fixable.

The good thing about older small towns is that houses are much less expensive, and you can find older, smaller ones for those of us who want 600 to 700 sf max which are not condos or apartments. But the bad thing is the small cities are poor, and usually many residents are too. What needs to happen is a full state grant for repair of housing and stores, the amount based on income, with those with less getting more. Thus it would take the pressure off smaller already burdened cities and reach those in other areas where damage was just scattered.

Smaller and older are subject to more damage due to both quakes and tornados so some of the funding would come from any company allowed to drill and especially who does fraking in the state.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:45 AM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Nightbird - try FEMA

Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 AM

5,364 posts, read 4,724,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
So we all know Oklahoma gets a lot of tornadoes. In fact OK is one of the most tornado prone states. And unfortunately it also gets many of the worst kinds of twisters, the violent EF4 and EF5s. Just think 2013 Moore or 1999 Bridge Creek. It's hard to take shelter from one of those with no storm shelter. If you're in the bathtub when it hits an EF4 will cause the entire house to collapse onto you. An EF5 will take the whole house, the bathtub, and you along with it like this. Oklahoma has had 15 violent tornadoes (EF4 or EF5) strike the state since 1999. That's almost 1 a year. And if you don't know what one of those beasts look like just take a look at one of these videos.

2013 Moore, OK EF5

2011 El Reno, OK EF5

1999 Bridge Creek, OK EF5

Talk about scary!

So are you prepared? What are you going to do when that mile wide monster EF4 or EF5 comes barreling towards you? And tornado season is almost upon us now.
I had hoped to be moved before this tornado season. Not gonna happen, unfortunately. This state is just a wasteland. I hope to get out in 2017. If not, I have a tornado shelter 1/2 mile from my house.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,377,183 times
Quote:
And tornado season is almost upon us now.
It looks like Oklahoma might be getting some twisters today...

Storm Prediction Center Tornado Watch 86

Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
It looks like Oklahoma might be getting some twisters today...

Storm Prediction Center Tornado Watch 86
It's interesting that when I first moved here, the storms really freaked me out. We had some really loud and in some areas bad storms and I didn't relax until it was over. But my friend who moved here from Florida said the storms turn the other way, and its true, Cushing hasn't had a major one for decades. So I found a site where they show the radar and you can run it on your computer. I noticed how just below here where it gets hilly, the storms tend to follow the land. We get rain and loud noises, but in 8 years, no damage.

You wouldn't find me living in the areas which do have a lot of funnel clouds without a reliable safe plece to go with the four legged crew with me. And the laptop.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 AM

18,018 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's interesting that when I first moved here, the storms really freaked me out. We had some really loud and in some areas bad storms and I didn't relax until it was over. But my friend who moved here from Florida said the storms turn the other way, and its true, Cushing hasn't had a major one for decades. So I found a site where they show the radar and you can run it on your computer. I noticed how just below here where it gets hilly, the storms tend to follow the land. We get rain and loud noises, but in 8 years, no damage.

You wouldn't find me living in the areas which do have a lot of funnel clouds without a reliable safe plece to go with the four legged crew with me. And the laptop.
Interestingly enough, just a short drive from Cushing, a F4 tornado hit Drumright in 1974 and killed a dozen people.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 AM

11,414 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

It's kind of like NW OKC. It seems like NW OKC usually is shielded from the worst of it *knock on wood* and the southside, specifically Moore, takes the brunt of it. I think the hillier terrain of north OKC does have something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or