Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:12 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
God no. Tornadoes are tiny. Living in Oklahoma your odds of ever in your lifetime personally being hit by a tornado are infinitesimal. Much, much less than 1%.
That means I'm a "one percenter". Nichols Hills 1998. Thing went straight down our street. The guy who lived across the street had gone to Minnesota via air travel. When he left his car was in his driveway. When he came back the car was half in his garage and half in the driveway and his garage door was destroyed.

That thing was F2 or F3. It tore heck out of two or three streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That means I'm a "one percenter". Nichols Hills 1998. Thing went straight down our street. The guy who lived across the street had gone to Minnesota via air travel. When he left his car was in his driveway. When he came back the car was half in his garage and half in the driveway and his garage door was destroyed.

I think it's higher than 1% if you live in OKC, but swake is correct that tornadoes themselves are not as destructive as hurricanes. However, major hurricanes usually don't hit major cities but once every few decades. Miami had Andrew in 1992 and hasn't had a major one since. New Orleans had Katrina in 2005. Oklahoma City on the other hand gets hit by small tornadoes every year and usually experiences a big one 2-3 times per decade. Once you add in ice storms, hail damage, and severe thunderstorms, I would say it balances out. I would say the real difference is in hurricane zones most of the time you don't have to think about them. In tornado alley, it's always at the back of your mind.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,221,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Where you injured or your house damaged?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think it's higher than 1% if you live in OKC, but swake is correct that tornadoes themselves are not as destructive as hurricanes. However, major hurricanes usually don't hit major cities but once every few decades. Miami had Andrew in 1992 and hasn't had a major one since. New Orleans had Katrina in 2005. Oklahoma City on the other hand gets hit by small tornadoes every year and usually experiences a big one 2-3 times per decade. Once you add in ice storms, hail damage, and severe thunderstorms, I would say it balances out. I would say the real difference is in hurricane zones most of the time you don't have to think about them. In tornado alley, it's always at the back of your mind.
The Oklahoma City region has had 13 major tornadoes since 1890, about once per decade.
Since the 2013 storm four years ago the area has had 10 tornadoes with no deaths and 19 injuries.
In the last 20 years the OKC region even including the monster storm in 2013 the OKC region has had 29 deaths and 121 injuries from tornadoes. This is out of 1.4 million people. The danger of a tornado is no where close to say that of driving.
I'm not aware of any deaths from hail or ice storms.
https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-okc-table

I can't find the same data for Tulsa, but the numbers are much lower. This is for Tulsa County only not the whole of metro Tulsa and only since 1950. Tulsa County has had only 1 death in the last 20 years and 30 injuries.
Since 1950 27 people have been killed in Tulsa County, but that's out of 700,000 people over almost 70 years.

These are very low odds. Stop the fear mongering. The Flu has killed more people in Tulsa County this year so far than Tornadoes have killed in the last 40 years combined.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Where you injured or your house damaged?
No personal injuries or structural damage. Just uprooted trees. It just made me have a healthy respect for what they can do. That one was just F2-3. It pulled up some huge trees through there.

When I think back there have been three or four that have hit close by where I was living. I remember standing in the street as a little kid in the southern part of Enid in 1965 or 1966 watching one tear up North Enid.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:16 PM

Hurricane v Tornado

Tulsa was hit with its worst tornado in decades a couple of weeks ago. An 18 story building took a direct hit and may have to be torn down. A 15 story building next door was unhurt. Directly next door. Luckily there were no deaths.

Harvey is going to drop 25+ inches of rain on an area the size of South Carolina.

Last edited by swake; 08-25-2017 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Tell the folks in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma