Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:49 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Somewhere I have a rather *unflattering* pic that my hubby took right after we moved... boxes piled everywhere, we were sleeping anywhere we could... I will post it if I can find it. (I got the couch )

colleen, your move sounds like ours... Except we DROVE with one heart-broken teenager, one who tried to cheer her up, two cats, one turtle and a ton of luggage.

And we did have our first Tornado Warning within two weeks of arriving...

Glad you made it despite the airline's 'best' efforts! It's all uphill from here!
and if you'da waited 6 months, you'da had one heartbroken teenager and one good spirited one..

now youre gonna have 2 good-spirited teenagers.. wait.. jen isnt one anymore either, is she?! that kid is growin up.. i swear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Hey thanks everyone for the "cheer". I'm doing fine. I tend to look on these things as stories to tell my grandkids (like they would care ).

Anyway our furniture arrives tomorrow, and I just found out my car and truck have finally been picked up in NJ !.

As soon as I get my own computer up and running, I can send a pic of the house. -- And the pool. -- not the accidental one, the on-purpose one.

Well, I'm glad to be here (thanks for all the welcomes), the sun is shining, the air is warm and life is good.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
Soon you will have the necessities: furniture, truck, and computer!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Hi Colleen,

Sounds like the move from H*ll.

But... At least you got there...
Now since it's Spring, you may want to
invest in a sump-pump for that storm cellar.

Glad you made it...

Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM

169 posts, read 580,461 times
I know this is a late response Colleen, but I did wait until I had some time to read your moving story. I'm sitting here at my desk eating my lunch & darn near spit my pop out when I got to the part when the cops & fire dept. arrived at your house. That was hilarious! (And yes, we say pop here in Ohio)

Even with all of your snags & such along the way, it sounds like you had a good attitude & rolled with the punches. Those little things that gave you problems are good to know for anyone else whose planning on moving. I appreciate you taking time to let us know how things are going. You must be terribly busy.

Just think you're out of the nasty north eastern weather! Good for you!

Hope the kids are doing better!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
I know this is a late response Colleen, but I did wait until I had some time to read your moving story. I'm sitting here at my desk eating my lunch & darn near spit my pop out when I got to the part when the cops & fire dept. arrived at your house. That was hilarious! (And yes, we say pop here in Ohio)

Even with all of your snags & such along the way, it sounds like you had a good attitude & rolled with the punches. Those little things that gave you problems are good to know for anyone else whose planning on moving. I appreciate you taking time to let us know how things are going. You must be terribly busy.

Just think you're out of the nasty north eastern weather! Good for you!

Hope the kids are doing better!
They say "pop" in Mich, were I'm from too.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
They say "pop" in Mich, were I'm from too.
We always called it "pop" growing up in Hughes county as well. Have you ever seen the pop versus soda map? It says they call it "coke" there but we always called it "pop" or "soda-pop."

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM

169 posts, read 580,461 times
Default Good one!

Synopsis that map is great! I've never seen that one before. It's funny how this works out. Certain areas will be predominately one color, or name used, then all of a sudden some other name will pop-up ( oops) right smack dab in the middle!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
We always called it "pop" growing up in Hughes county as well. Have you ever seen the pop versus soda map? It says they call it "coke" there but we always called it "pop" or "soda-pop."
Odd. The map is right on for where I grew up - St Louis County, MO - where it was always soda or soda pop, but that is the one and only place I've lived that it was called soda, and it was the only place I've found that sold carbonated chocolate pop instead of a non-fizzy chocolate drink. Everywhere else was 'pop' no matter where or what the map says. In fact, in most of the places I've lived, if you asked for a soda, you'd get a club soda or seltzer, only. Some foods were different, too. In the STL area, a club sandwich was any three-decker sandwich, and you had to ask for whatever fillings you wanted. Other places, it was specific - a club had lettuce, tomato, turkey and ham only. I just discovered this past year that a reuben isn't always corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut. Here it can be roast beef instead, without the sauerkraut. I have no idea why they call it that, unless it's because it's on rye bread. And MO didn't have maple bars, in spite of being closer to the source of maple syrup. Used to be WA had butterhorns and bearclaws, both of which are scrumptious donutty things, only now they don't.

I miss the way things used to be, I think my years are attacking me.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I miss the way things used to be, I think my years are attacking me.
It's O.K. karibear http://bestsmileys.com/comfort/4.gif (broken link) we're all in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
Synopsis that map is great! I've never seen that one before. It's funny how this works out. Certain areas will be predominately one color, or name used, then all of a sudden some other name will pop-up ( oops) right smack dab in the middle!
We are in coke country... The hubby drinks only Coke and hates Pepsi.

A typical conversation in a restaurant goes something like this:

waitress: Would you like a coke with that?
hubby: Yes! *hopeful* Do you have Coke?
waitress: No we just have Pepsi...
hubby: Nevermind... I'll have tea... *sigh*

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma