Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,768,580 times

Advertisements

This is a long one, so if you're short on time, wait for another day.
The movers came Friday and took everything. They couldn't take the dryer because it's gas and they weren't allowed to disconnect a gas dryer. So I asked if they could tell my son Scott how to do it and have him disconnect it. They said sure, as long as they didn't touch it. Scott got a pair of pliers from one of the movers and started to shut the valve off and the value snapped off and fell on the floor. Now we have a snapped off valve and they still can't take the dryer because the valve is attached. They said we had to call PSE&G (the gas and electric company). I know they don't come out right away unless there's
a gas leak, so I called them and said my son snapped off the valve and we could smell gas. They said they would be out within the hour and everyone should leave the house. Well there really wasn't a leak, so they all just kept moving things out. Well, in about 10 minutes a fire truck and three police cars and a fire chief car (a total of 15 people) show up, sirens blasting. They proceed to block off traffic at both ends of the block. The firemen put on their gas masks and air tanks. Oh s**t.

Well, we have a volunteer fire department so of course we knew both firemen. We had to play dumb and pretend there was a leak. They were a little annoyed when they discovered no leak. I thought the police officer (who I also knew) was going to cry. He looked like he wanted a little excitement. Anyway, they checked everything over and then left. About 5 minutes later PSE&G came and replaced the entire valve (free of charge). So things moved on.

The next day was Anna's sweet 16 party and Scott was having some friends over the house for a going away party. So I was really busy getting all of that set up, dropping off extra boxes at the recycling center, etc. Anna had a really good time, the DJ was lousy (didn't interact with the kds at all), but played music that they liked.

The next day we went back to my house to get Scott. He and his GF Loni were clinging to each other like super glue. Crying, clinging, crying some more. It was a mess. Then all of his friends (boys included) started crying (could you tell they'd all been drinking?) We finally got the two lovers apart and Scott's friend Greg drove us (me, two teenagers, a dog, a VERY LARGE dog crate and six suitcases). He dropped us at the airport and he proceeded to hug me, Anna and Scott and started crying again.

Well, we get up to the check in counter and they tell us we can't take the dog because we were supposed to have a "Letter of Acclimmation" from her vet. This is a statement saying it is safe for her to fly in temperatures below 45 degrees. Of course they never told me this when I called to make the reservations. There was a woman ahead of us with a dog who had the same problem, they wouldn't let her dog go either. Scott's hungover and an emotional wreck, texting Loni back and forth, Anna and I are exhausted and the dog is freaking out. And, we have no ride home, and of course nowhere to sleep. Since it was Sunday, I couldn't get my vet on the phone and the emergency number he has on his answering machine couldn't help because they never saw our dog. So the ticket agent makes another reservation for us for the next day so we have time to get the letter from the vet. Then we have a major troop movement by van to a hotel near the airport (it took a while to find one who would take a dog).

Next morning, we're back at the airport before 9:00 (the flight's at 10:15). Right at 9 I call the vet and (thankfully) he agrees to write the note and fax it to them. We wait around until his office calls us at 9:15 to say it was done. We go up to the counter and the man goes to check for the fax and comes back and says the office is locked and the only person with a key is in a meeting. Scott's trying real hard at this point to not jump over the counter and strangle him. The agent proceeds to check us in, and eventually, the office is opened up and he gets the fax. We all troop over to the "animal" check in and get her settled and then run for security. It's now 9:55 and the line is about 50 people long. I go up to the guy in charge and BEG him to let us ahead of everyone else because our plane leaves in 20 minutes. Luckily, he does and we get to the plane within minutes of it leaving.

We had to change planes in Cincinnati. After a quick lunch, we start towards our gate to hear "Greene, party of three, please come to the Delta Gate A-14". We get up there and they tell us they don't think they have room for us on the plane. Meanwhile, the dog is on the plane and they're not taking her off. They said they were overbooked, but there was a couple of passengers missing and if they didn't show up they would let us on. If not, we would each get a $400 travel voucher and not arrive in Oklahoma until 10:00 at night. Not good.

However, the other passengers didn't come, we got tickets, and ran for another plane just before it took off.

But, we're here. Oh, one more thing. Our cars were supposed to be picked up Sunday the 2nd and shipped down to be delivered tuesday, but we didn't hear from anyone, kept getting voice mails, etc., I had to contract with another service who will pick them up tomorrow and have them here by next Friday. Meanwhile we're renting two cars. Just one more little glitch.

And to top it all off, the sirens went off Sunday night while we were still stranded in Philadelphia, but DH slept right through it here in Mustang. A good thing, too, because our storm cellar is flooded.

That's all for now folks (aren't you glad)

I'll be checking in on the library computer for the next few days until our stuff is delivered and the computer set up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,365,548 times
Well,,,,,,,colleeng47 , Welcome to Oklahoma! I hope things are starting to fall back into place by now.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:24 PM

330 posts, read 968,196 times
Oh man, sounds like a hellish trip. However, I still envy you because you're in OKLAHOMA! Oh, that's not a flooded storm cellar, my friend calls it a built-in swimming pool. I hope the teenagers will be alright, that stuff can be traumatic in life, well teenage life. Send us some pics of your Mustang house and the swimming pool!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,822,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
The movers came Friday and took everything. They couldn't take the dryer because it's gas and they weren't allowed to disconnect a gas dryer. So I asked if they could tell my son Scott how to do it and have him disconnect it. They said sure, as long as they didn't touch it. Scott got a pair of pliers from one of the movers and started to shut the valve off and the value snapped off and fell on the floor. Now we have a snapped off valve and they still can't take the dryer because the valve is attached. They said we had to call PSE&G (the gas and electric company). I know they don't come out right away unless there's
a gas leak, so I called them and said my son snapped off the valve and we could smell gas. They said they would be out within the hour and everyone should leave the house. Well there really wasn't a leak, so they all just kept moving things out. Well, in about 10 minutes a fire truck and three police cars and a fire chief car (a total of 15 people) show up, sirens blasting. They proceed to block off traffic at both ends of the block. The firemen put on their gas masks and air tanks. Oh s**t.

Well, we have a volunteer fire department so of course we knew both firemen. We had to play dumb and pretend there was a leak. They were a little annoyed when they discovered no leak. I thought the police officer (who I also knew) was going to cry. He looked like he wanted a little excitement. Anyway, they checked everything over and then left. About 5 minutes later PSE&G came and replaced the entire valve (free of charge). So things moved on.

The next day was Anna's sweet 16 party and Scott was having some friends over the house for a going away party. So I was really busy getting all of that set up, dropping off extra boxes at the recycling center, etc. Anna had a really good time, the DJ was lousy (didn't interact with the kds at all), but played music that they liked.

The next day we went back to my house to get Scott. He and his GF Loni were clinging to each other like super glue. Crying, clinging, crying some more. It was a mess. Then all of his friends (boys included) started crying (could you tell they'd all been drinking?) We finally got the two lovers apart and Scott's friend Greg drove us (me, two teenagers, a dog, a VERY LARGE dog crate and six suitcases). He dropped us at the airport and he proceeded to hug me, Anna and Scott and started crying again.

Well, we get up to the check in counter and they tell us we can't take the dog because we were supposed to have a "Letter of Acclimmation" from her vet. This is a statement saying it is safe for her to fly in temperatures below 45 degrees. Of course they never told me this when I called to make the reservations. There was a woman ahead of us with a dog who had the same problem, they wouldn't let her dog go either. Scott's hungover and an emotional wreck, texting Loni back and forth, Anna and I are exhausted and the dog is freaking out. And, we have no ride home, and of course nowhere to sleep. Since it was Sunday, I couldn't get my vet on the phone and the emergency number he has on his answering machine couldn't help because they never saw our dog. So the ticket agent makes another reservation for us for the next day so we have time to get the letter from the vet. Then we have a major troop movement by van to a hotel near the airport (it took a while to find one who would take a dog).

Next morning, we're back at the airport before 9:00 (the flight's at 10:15). Right at 9 I call the vet and (thankfully) he agrees to write the note and fax it to them. We wait around until his office calls us at 9:15 to say it was done. We go up to the counter and the man goes to check for the fax and comes back and says the office is locked and the only person with a key is in a meeting. Scott's trying real hard at this point to not jump over the counter and strangle him. The agent proceeds to check us in, and eventually, the office is opened up and he gets the fax. We all troop over to the "animal" check in and get her settled and then run for security. It's now 9:55 and the line is about 50 people long. I go up to the guy in charge and BEG him to let us ahead of everyone else because our plane leaves in 20 minutes. Luckily, he does and we get to the plane within minutes of it leaving.

We had to change planes in Cincinnati. After a quick lunch, we start towards our gate to hear "Greene, party of three, please come to the Delta Gate A-14". We get up there and they tell us they don't think they have room for us on the plane. Meanwhile, the dog is on the plane and they're not taking her off. They said they were overbooked, but there was a couple of passengers missing and if they didn't show up they would let us on. If not, we would each get a $400 travel voucher and not arrive in Oklahoma until 10:00 at night. Not good.

However, the other passengers didn't come, we got tickets, and ran for another plane just before it took off.

But, we're here. Oh, one more thing. Our cars were supposed to be picked up Sunday the 2nd and shipped down to be delivered tuesday, but we didn't hear from anyone, kept getting voice mails, etc., I had to contract with another service who will pick them up tomorrow and have them here by next Friday. Meanwhile we're renting two cars. Just one more little glitch.

And to top it all off, the sirens went off Sunday night while we were still stranded in Philadelphia, but DH slept right through it here in Mustang. A good thing, too, because our storm cellar is flooded.

I'll be checking in on the library computer for the next few days until our stuff is delivered and the computer set up.

Oh my gosh! I would have had a cow if all of that had happened! Kudos to you colleen for having the stamina to put up with all of that!

I'm sure your settling in period in Oklahoma will be much, much better.

And hey... Welcome to Oklahoma!!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,293,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post

ROFLMAO! That's the kind of thing that happens to me! I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one.

When we started the great exodus from Alaska, my sister rode along with me, while DH stayed and continued packing. I had a 28' RV that broke down in northern Saskachewan, and bought a pickup to finish the trip. Then, when it was fixed, she went back north with me to pick it up - btw, riding that far in a Grayhound bus sucks rotten eggs - and we got to northern Montana, where it finally died for the last and final time. She just looked at me and said "Are you really having fun?" I said "Yeah, until about 5 minutes ago when the engine seized up and started smoking, I was." Back on the Grayhound again. I just love adventures.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,472,744 times
Colleeng, you are a strong woman. Moving is always stressful, but your plate had extras on it. Whew. Now, you're here just in time for tornado season!!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,591,849 times
At least Colleen has a sense of humor about it all. I don't know if I could have put up with all that without throwing a big fit.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 PM

432 posts, read 666,935 times
Whew!

You did well, being able to write about all your troubles in such a temperate manner.

Now that you're there, I'm sure that you'll really enjoy life in OK.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,472,744 times
Now you can COLLAPSE in bed and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep like only an okie can.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,810,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Now you can COLLAPSE in bed and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep like only an okie can.
Somewhere I have a rather *unflattering* pic that my hubby took right after we moved... boxes piled everywhere, we were sleeping anywhere we could... I will post it if I can find it. (I got the couch )

colleen, your move sounds like ours... Except we DROVE with one heart-broken teenager, one who tried to cheer her up, two cats, one turtle and a ton of luggage.

And we did have our first Tornado Warning within two weeks of arriving...

Glad you made it despite the airline's 'best' efforts! It's all uphill from here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma