U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 727 times

Advertisements

Georgia mom of two girls (and one on the way) needing to move away from abusive situation. I've visited Oklahoma a few times and I really enjoyed it there.. Moore, to be specific
I have a monthly set income for now and not really bring picky since I'm trying to move as soon as possible. Public housing is even in consideration, but looking for area in Moore, Norman or OKC that's safe since I have family in these areas. I would like suggestions on safe public housing or low income areas to live, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,508,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLew83 View Post
Georgia mom of two girls (and one on the way) needing to move away from abusive situation. I've visited Oklahoma a few times and I really enjoyed it there.. Moore, to be specific
I have a monthly set income for now and not really bring picky since I'm trying to move as soon as possible. Public housing is even in consideration, but looking for area in Moore, Norman or OKC that's safe since I have family in these areas. I would like suggestions on safe public housing or low income areas to live, please
If you want to be somewhere safe, those areas are not it. Moore is hit by a EF5 tornado once every 5 years, and the rest of OK as well.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 PM

9,723 posts, read 12,823,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLew83 View Post

Since you are in a " Domestic Violence " situation contact public housing in Georgia , they can tell you all the details " that you need to know about public housing " in the state of Oklahoma.........

Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 AM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
As you have family in the areas you are looking at - contact them. They should be able to give you first hand information about their neighborhoods. Public housing/subsidized housing is the same all over which means application, qualification, waiting list.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 PM

18,016 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Oklahoma is broke, so don't expect much help from state government. Oklahoma is really more geared toward helping the already well off become more so. Poor people are left to sink or swim.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oklahoma is broke, so don't expect much help from state government. Oklahoma is really more geared toward helping the already well off become more so. Poor people are left to sink or swim.
Yes, sure seems like it.

If you live in another more expensive state and get any help from the state, don't *assume* you get any here. They chose not to be part of medicade expanstion, for instance. I was dropped over a small raise in disability. I was lucky this happened after the emergency I had. I also lost the twenty dollars worth of food stamps I had.

It seems complicated and I HATE complicated things having to do with money, but I'm actually looking forward in a month to go on medicare, just incase my luck and no big problems doesn't hold.

What is cheaper is housing, especially in smaller towns. My house is worth 15k, and most lists of the worth of houses don't even go that low. But its sturdy, small and what I wanted, and the last months in the apartment in California I knew just how much I hated apartments. I have chosen to trade the house I wish for with a quiet location, for the social stuff I sometimes turned to in socal. I didn't do it often so it wasn't a complete change, but I've found ways to live with the occasional moments I do.

If you do look for a cheaper place to live, and if you have a small amount of money to pay for housing, look up lower cost housing and check costs. The realator sites have some very cheap properties mostly in smaller towns. Use social media and ask about the area. Don't act blind. Just be warned it won't be like what your used to.

Consult someone official about the domestic violence situation as well, and get their advise. They are there for you for a reason.

Just remember that if you want cheaper you CAN find it, but the cost is likely in a different culture you have to get used to, and will both lose and gain from the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or