U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,723 posts, read 12,823,740 times
Reputation: 3820

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
2016 population estimates for cities/towns were just released on 26 May 2017.

Here is the state's 10 largest cities:

1. Oklahoma City - 638,367
+58,368 since 2010 Census (+10.1%)
+7,749 since 2015

2. Tulsa - 403,090
+11,184 since 2010 (+2.9%)
-15 since 2015

3. Norman - 122,180
+11,255 since 2010 (+10.1%)
+1,996 since 2015

4. Broken Arrow - 107,403
+8,553 since 2010 (+8.7%)
+871 since 2015

5. Lawton - 94,653
-2,214 since 2010 (-2.3%)
-1,658 since 2015

6. Edmond - 91,191
+9,786 since 2010 (+12.0%)
+1,200 since 2015

7. Moore - 61,415
+6,334 since 2010 (+11.5%)
+1,024 since 2015

8. Midwest City - 57,305
+2,934 since 2010 (+5.4%)
+117 since 2015

9. Enid - 51,004
+1,625 since 2010 (+3.3%)
-600 since 2015

10. Stillwater - 49,504
+3,816 since 2010 (+8.4%)
+671 since 2015



My hometown of Durant - 17,583
+1,727 since 2010 (+10.9%)
+266 since July 2015

The state's 2016 population estimate is 3,923,561.
+172,210 since 2010 (+4.6%)

2016 Census population estimates for every U.S. city, county, state (database) | cleveland.com
Tulsa Oklahoma over 400,000 Hallelujah , state of Oklahoma can realistically reach the golden number of four million people population , Tulsa Oklahoma still does not have 1 million people in it's metropolitan area too bad!!!

Last edited by Howest2008; 06-01-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Tulsa Oklahoma over 400,000 Hallelujah , state of Oklahoma can realistically reach the golden number of four million people population , Tulsa Oklahoma still does not have 1 million people in it's metropolitan area too bad!!!
How realistic 4 million is depends on how many people, such as yet more teachers, the bad, insane Republican political atmosphere runs off. If their incumbents are voted back in and a Republican governor is elected in 2018, then I think the population in Oklahoma will stay below 4 million in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
361 posts, read 210,565 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
2016 population estimates for cities/towns were just released on 26 May 2017.

Here is the state's 10 largest cities:

1. Oklahoma City - 638,367
+58,368 since 2010 Census (+10.1%)
+7,749 since 2015

2. Tulsa - 403,090
+11,184 since 2010 (+2.9%)
-15 since 2015

3. Norman - 122,180
+11,255 since 2010 (+10.1%)
+1,996 since 2015

4. Broken Arrow - 107,403
+8,553 since 2010 (+8.7%)
+871 since 2015

5. Lawton - 94,653
-2,214 since 2010 (-2.3%)
-1,658 since 2015

6. Edmond - 91,191
+9,786 since 2010 (+12.0%)
+1,200 since 2015

7. Moore - 61,415
+6,334 since 2010 (+11.5%)
+1,024 since 2015

8. Midwest City - 57,305
+2,934 since 2010 (+5.4%)
+117 since 2015

9. Enid - 51,004
+1,625 since 2010 (+3.3%)
-600 since 2015

10. Stillwater - 49,504
+3,816 since 2010 (+8.4%)
+671 since 2015



My hometown of Durant - 17,583
+1,727 since 2010 (+10.9%)
+266 since July 2015

The state's 2016 population estimate is 3,923,561.
+172,210 since 2010 (+4.6%)

2016 Census population estimates for every U.S. city, county, state (database) | cleveland.com
Nice gains in OKC! It's metro population is now bigger than KC right? Also is Durant's population increase due to its being near DFW or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,723 posts, read 12,823,740 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Nice gains in OKC! It's metro population is now bigger than KC right? Also is Durant's population increase due to its being near DFW or no?
Metropolitan Oklahoma City Oklahoma will not surpass Kansas City for the next 50 years that's a pipe dream .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,723 posts, read 12,823,740 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
How realistic 4 million is depends on how many people, such as yet more teachers, the bad, insane Republican political atmosphere runs off. If their incumbents are voted back in and a Republican governor is elected in 2018, then I think the population in Oklahoma will stay below 4 million in 2020.
You are absolutely correct Oklahoma will not top 4 million by 2020 and Republicans will not lose theirs domination of the state of Oklahoma for the next 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City
770 posts, read 782,019 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Nice gains in OKC! It's metro population is now bigger than KC right? Also is Durant's population increase due to its being near DFW or no?
As of 2016, metro KC is 2.105 million and metro OKC is 1.373 million. As for Durant, that's most likely a big factor, being only 90 miles from downtown Dallas. A few years ago, Bryan County was added to DFW's Combined Statistical Area.

Last edited by KayneMo; 06-04-2017 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City
770 posts, read 782,019 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You are absolutely correct Oklahoma will not top 4 million by 2020 and Republicans will not lose theirs domination of the state of Oklahoma for the next 40 years.
I don't know... Oklahoma needs to add about 19,000 every year until 2020 to meet 4 million, and the state has been adding an average of 28,700 every year since 2010. I think it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
As for Durant, that's most likely a big factor, being only 90 miles from downtown Dallas. A few years ago, Bryan County was added to DFW's Combined Statistical Area.
Very few people would want to move to Durant in order to drive 90 minutes to work every day to Dallas, while putting up with all that traffic. Instead, industry has been moving into Durant to a significant degree, including a large casino with hotel towers. Over 5,400 people work for the Choctaw Nation in Durant, which will soon open a huge new HQ building. New stores have been opening. Durant has been strongly rivaling Stillwater as the state's fastest growing city outside of Oklahoma City and Tulsa metros for quite some time.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-04-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I don't know... Oklahoma needs to add about 19,000 every year until 2020 to meet 4 million, and the state has been adding an average of 28,700 every year since 2010. I think it's possible.
Especially if oil doesn't dip below $40 a barrel and stays there. But as I already wrote, it will be a wonder if the asinine, vacant headed governing at the State Capitol does not make a lot of people move to a better run state as the next few years go by. A number of people aren't going to put up with sacrificing for the oil companies for years and years on end, for instance, school teachers.

A state, so unlike Oklahoma, that doesn't charge sales tax for food knows how to treat its citizens right, especially the poor ones.

To get an idea what it will be like in the near future in Oklahoma, my Republican State Senator, who won't face reelection until 2020, was quoted as saying, "We need to ensure Oklahoma's economy has stabilized before additional revenue reductions are enacted." This means resuming cutting the state income tax is still a prime desire by Republicans. They still cling to the disproved ideology, or idiocy, that cutting income taxes is guaranteed to bring economic prosperity to Oklahoma. Republicans can't accept the fact that desirable business and industry from the outside look at a bunch of other qualities a state offers besides taxation.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-04-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You are absolutely correct Oklahoma will not top 4 million by 2020 and Republicans will not lose their domination of the state of Oklahoma for the next 40 years.
For the time being, I'll have faith that Oklahoma will be able to elect a Democrat governor in 2018, just like Louisiana did in 2015. However, I wouldn't bet my life on it. One of the Republican candidates, Oklahoma City Mayor Cornett is popular in Oklahoma City with some Democrats liking him. At any rate, I think it will be an interesting governor's race to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top