U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM

81 posts, read 185,248 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to forums, and I tend to get wordy when I write, so thank you in advance for your patience.

That being said, if anyone would like to share their experience/2 cents about small towns in north eastern OK, it would be so much appreciated. We're a family of four in small town northern CA. I've lived in this rural area all my life, have hardly ever left my county. Things have changed rapidly here in the past 10-15 years. We're being encroached upon by San Fran. Bay Area and So. CA transplants. While I have no problem with people moving wherever they want to (after all, my dad moved here 35 years ago from somewhere else), we are seeing some negative changes to our community and no longer feel like we "belong" here as much as before. We own our home on almost an acre, but have no hope of owning the land we would love to have since house prices are so high now here. Property taxes are killing us, vehicle registration fees, we cannot even burn leaves in our own yard unless we call first to see if it's a burn day. (Maybe OK has burning restrictions too, I'm not sure.) I've been ready to leave for years but my husband is hesitant and we don't want to be stuck away from family and with no job or help. A positive to being here: our parents are all within 15 miles and we have a wonderful church family as well. However, if any of you are familiar with the recent CA court ruling against homeschool families, you may be able to understand why this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. We are devoted homeschoolers to our two children and want the freedom to remain that way. My understanding is that OK is very homeschool friendly.

With that lengthy introduction, here is a list of important qualities in a new hometown:

--10,000 or less
--Rural and open areas that are not all fenced off or strewn with NO TRESSPASSING signs (I don't want to be a trespasser but it seems like all the land here is bought up).
--Friendly people (I loved reading on this forum how people greet you in the stores. That is me - I smile at everyone I see and love to make small talk while in line, etc.)
--Simple, down-to-earth people. We are simple and basic people. We are not interested in movie theaters, theme parks, art galleries, video arcades, day spas. They are fun but not essential to us. A family hike in the woods and a picnic is our idea of fun.
--somewhere we can buy a 1200-1500 square foot home with outbuildings on 5+ acres for under $200,000 (is this possible?). I want to look out my window and not see any neighbors, but at the same time want to live in a friendly community where people stop by and we can feel free to do the same. We have nice neighbors now and everyone is always ready to help out.
--a homeschool-friendly community, with other homeschoolers or groups.
--at least 50 miles from a great big city.
--a church oriented community (we are evangelicals).
--a place where we will hopefully be welcomed. I know the CA stigma might be an issue, but truly we are not interested in changing our new hometown, but instead becoming a part of it just as it is. I have seen what can happen to a small, conservative town when people flock in and start making it like where they came from.

My husband is in the construction trades. He runs a small wood/gas/pellet company currently. I have no idea about job availability in OK. Would locals hire a contractor who just moved into the area to install their stove? How about property taxes? Vehicle registration fees? Smog checks? Would I be able to cut down an oak tree on my own property without getting a permit and special permission from the county? Any negatives we should be aware of? I'm a bit worried about tornadoes and the humidity, but I think it would be worth the risk for open spaces and a simpler lifestyle. So, thank you in advance for any opinions you offer, it will be eagerly read and appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 AM

10,292 posts, read 14,112,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Hi,

I'm new to forums, and I tend to get wordy when I write, so thank you in advance for your patience.

That being said, if anyone would like to share their experience/2 cents about small towns in north eastern OK, it would be so much appreciated. We're a family of four in small town northern CA. I've lived in this rural area all my life, have hardly ever left my county. Things have changed rapidly here in the past 10-15 years. We're being encroached upon by San Fran. Bay Area and So. CA transplants. While I have no problem with people moving wherever they want to (after all, my dad moved here 35 years ago from somewhere else), we are seeing some negative changes to our community and no longer feel like we "belong" here as much as before. We own our home on almost an acre, but have no hope of owning the land we would love to have since house prices are so high now here. Property taxes are killing us, vehicle registration fees, we cannot even burn leaves in our own yard unless we call first to see if it's a burn day. (Maybe OK has burning restrictions too, I'm not sure.) I've been ready to leave for years but my husband is hesitant and we don't want to be stuck away from family and with no job or help. A positive to being here: our parents are all within 15 miles and we have a wonderful church family as well. However, if any of you are familiar with the recent CA court ruling against homeschool families, you may be able to understand why this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. We are devoted homeschoolers to our two children and want the freedom to remain that way. My understanding is that OK is very homeschool friendly.

With that lengthy introduction, here is a list of important qualities in a new hometown:

--10,000 or less
--Rural and open areas that are not all fenced off or strewn with NO TRESSPASSING signs (I don't want to be a trespasser but it seems like all the land here is bought up).
--Friendly people (I loved reading on this forum how people greet you in the stores. That is me - I smile at everyone I see and love to make small talk while in line, etc.)
--Simple, down-to-earth people. We are simple and basic people. We are not interested in movie theaters, theme parks, art galleries, video arcades, day spas. They are fun but not essential to us. A family hike in the woods and a picnic is our idea of fun.
--somewhere we can buy a 1200-1500 square foot home with outbuildings on 5+ acres for under $200,000 (is this possible?). I want to look out my window and not see any neighbors, but at the same time want to live in a friendly community where people stop by and we can feel free to do the same. We have nice neighbors now and everyone is always ready to help out.
--a place where we will hopefully be welcomed. I know the CA stigma might be an issue, but truly we are not interested in changing our new hometown, but instead becoming a part of it just as it is. I have seen what can happen to a small, conservative town when people flock in and start making it like where they came from.

My husband is in the construction trades. He runs a small wood/gas/pellet company currently. I have no idea about job availability in OK. Would locals hire a contractor who just moved into the area to install their stove? How about property taxes? Vehicle registration fees? Smog checks? Would I be able to cut down an oak tree on my own property without getting a permit and special permission from the county? Any negatives we should be aware of? I'm a bit worried about tornadoes and the humidity, but I think it would be worth the risk for open spaces and a simpler lifestyle. So, thank you in advance for any opinions you offer, it will be eagerly read and appreciated!
Tulsa Oklahoma transplant currently living in Northern California , i'm on the verge of going to bed so let's make this brief. Northestern Oklahoma has just the place for you....and just between you and me the whole Tulsa Oklahoma area is flying under the radar...well maybe that's a blessing in disguise that some people don't know about it. I'm giving you two links tonight and I'll Get Back To You Tomorrow.

Cross Timbers Resort & Golf Course

Green Country Lakes

Welcome to Lake Tenkiller -- Lake Tenkiller

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM

702 posts, read 2,366,585 times
I don't know if NE Oklahoma fits your bill, how big of a city do you want to be close by? Tulsa is not a big city, unless 500,000 you consider a big city. Most land is owned and all fenced too, not sure you will find wide open areas too many places in the US now. If you get by those two issues then maybe NE Oklahoma is your place. Property taxes are very reasonable, especially compared to California. An example, a house with a value of approximately $220,000 on one acres will be around $2300/year in property taxes. Tagging your vehicle is very reasonable too, maximum is $93/year. You can burn all you want in the rural areas, unless the state has a burn ban on, which does occur more frequently now. Depending on the time of year, we have a serious problem with grass fires, usually in March before the dormant grass/weeds have had a chance to green up.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 AM

81 posts, read 185,248 times
Thank you for the responses, they are helpful. I wasn't clear in my first post about burning restrictions. In my county in CA, the restrictions I'm talking about are not for a high fire danger, which I completely support, but for "air quality restrictions." It might be cold, cloudy, and damp, and we still don't have permission to burn. Also, from briansgi's info, property taxes are about the same here.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,482,823 times
Hi simplewife&mom, Welcome to the forum! We are in SW OK so I will let the others answer your questions about the area you are looking into, but I wanted you to know that we 'transplanted' here 4 years ago from Central CA.

You will find everything you mentioned here as well as clean, fresh air and beautiful blue skies!! You will be giving up the Sierra Nevada Mts. but if you were in the Valley (like us) you never saw them anymore anyway!

Our "Oklahoma Pictures" thread is FULL of pics to give you an idea of how things look, and you can dig up any of my old posts to see how ridiculously happy we are here!

Our only regret?? That we didn't make the move 20 years ago when our kids were still young!

Best of luck...

Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,127,169 times
You might want to locate near one of our state parks or wildlife refuges. Here's a link for example. There is a lot of public land in OK that will not be all crowded with people, except some on the big summer holiday weekends.
Oklahoma Refuges

I'm not from NE Oklahoma, but in a rural area you should be able to get a house with 5+ acres for about $200,000. You might want to think about just living close to a small town, outside the city limits, so you have more freedom.

For example, I looked on the internet and found a brick house, 1479 sq feet, 3 bed 2 bath on 20 acres near Meeker, OK for $157,900. Meeker is more in central OK and might be too close to OKC for you.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM

7,525 posts, read 15,959,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
--10,000 or less

I know a place not far from me that had a 2400 sf doublewide (pretty new) on 40 acres, with a large barn (steel sided pole barn) with a roping arena, fenced and cross fenced, that sold last summer for about $120,000. (I was sorry to see it sell.....I owned the tax lien on it and in October of this year I would have had it for $800)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: