U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,959 times

Advertisements

Hello good people

I am a 22 year old college student coming up on my graduation and when I finish I plan on packing up my car and moving down to oklahoma.

I have been spending my summers in the Ponca City and Ada areas of oklahoma for the past few years but I've never gotten to experience what winter is like, how is the driving and will I need snow tires?

I'm also trying to figure out where I want to live before I get down there. I will be a legal assistant and I don't know which city would be better suited for my career.

If you have any advice to bestow I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Get on all available job sites, use your social media from FB to LinkedIn, directly apply at legal offices (martindale.com is almost a calling list:>), let friends/family in OK know you are looking for a job.

You will not need winter tires. Everything basically shuts down when the weather gets bad.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 AM

771 posts, read 782,019 times
According the Bureau of Labor Statistics for May 2016:

Paralegals & Legal Assistants

OKC Metro
Employment: 1,350
Annual Mean Wage: $47,840

Tulsa Metro
Employment: 780
Annual Mean Wage: $42,640

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes232011.htm

Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM

18,018 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Driving isn't bad and not too over congested and will get better when the road construction season is over this fall. Don't know if you want a metro or small town, but best to stay out of declining small towns, such as Ponca City. If a small town, best to get within an hour's drive of Oklahoma City or Tulsa so as not to be too far to get away from the boredom from time to time.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 5,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Driving isn't bad and not too over congested and will get better when the road construction season is over this fall. Don't know if you want a metro or small town, but best to stay out of declining small towns, such as Ponca City. If a small town, best to get within an hour's drive of Oklahoma City or Tulsa so as not to be too far to get away from the boredom from time to time.
Thank you for your answer!!

I think I would prefer to stay within 30 minutes of OKC or Tulsa metro areas. I have friends that live in Edmond, Ponca City, and Ada/Sulphur so those are the areas that I know the best.

I'll need to find somewhat cheap rent preferably less than $700 a month until I can afford the down payment on a home. I'm a single liberal 22 year old and I know Oklahoma might not be completely suited to me but I feel like that is where I'm meant to be. Are there any medium sized suburbs/cities outside of the Tulsa and OKC metro areas that you would recommend? I was considering Broken Arrow for when I start looking to buy but I don't know if I would fit in well with that community.

If you have anymore advice I would really love to hear it!

Thank you again

Old 06-19-2017, 03:40 PM

771 posts, read 782,019 times
^ I'm single, liberal, 26 years old and live near downtown OKC and love it. My rent is a tad over $700.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 AM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Work out something with your friends to stay with them until you have a job. Check into an extended stay hotel (read up on OK law regarding hotel tax; there is something about over 30 continuous days it is not considered hotel but rent and takes a chunk off the bill; negotiate) which is likely to run under your budget for 30 days. Take your time finding the right apartment - long commutes get old very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or