U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:33 AM

32,741 posts, read 18,192,622 times

Advertisements

Although I love the scissortail bird, I do not care for the new plates. I am glad the scissortail is making a come back in this part of the state. They are beautiful birds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:09 PM

9,723 posts, read 12,828,285 times
Default Here are my Favorites

Old 07-06-2017, 04:38 PM

18,129 posts, read 8,151,880 times
Wish I'd known about this... we should start seeing them very soon.

http://kfor.com/2017/07/05/new-bison...ahoma-drivers/

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-06-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 PM

6,998 posts, read 2,814,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The new general issue features the State bird with a blue on white motif, and is becoming more common month by month. It is kind of bland, but clean. Thoughts?

New Oklahoma License Plates Make Their Debut - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
I'm sorry, but It looks like an advertisement for a travel website. Do they seriously think, people are going to see it and think, wow nice license plate. I think I'm going to check out that Travel Oklahoma website. Using license plates for advertising space for the state is a really dumb idea, I think. I would be very surprised if even one person sees that license plate, and decides to visit Oklahoma because of it. So they are just mucking up the license plates with advertisement for nothing.

I also don't get this trend for putting the state shapes in the middle of license plates. It looks like they are ripping that off from the Texas license plates, and I wish Texas would just go back to putting the star between the numbers. I think most of us know the shapes of the states without seeing them on license plates.

I have to give it a thumbs down. If I saw that license plate for the first time, and hadn't read this thread, I would never relate it to being an Oklahoma plate. I live in an area where I see a lot of different license plates, and that one would look like just another boring generic plate, that I would have no idea where it was from.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:09 AM

18,033 posts, read 14,346,167 times
Going back to an old license plate with OK! on it would be okay with me.

Putting state shapes on plates goes back decades.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Wish I'd known about this... we should start seeing them very soon.

New bison license plate in production for Oklahoma drivers | KFOR.com
I am thinking about ordering one, since the red color of the tag would look good with the copper red color of my car.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 AM

6,998 posts, read 2,814,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Going back to an old license plate with OK! on it would be okay with me.

Putting state shapes on plates goes back decades.
Good point. I actually looked at pictures of the old OK license plates before I posted that, but I didn't recognize that shape. Even in that picture it doesn't look like the shape of Oklahoma to me. I guess one good point for the new plate is that the Oklahoma shape is actually recognizable.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 PM

131 posts, read 81,043 times
I miss the old days...

Old 07-10-2017, 03:52 PM

Oklahoma was more ok in 1978.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 PM

5,216 posts, read 9,344,565 times
Loved the comments section in the article the OP posted.

Quote:
Why is there a finger pointing at the bird's anus under "explore" Oklahoma? Stupid design and no thank you.
I think he was referring to the middle finger in the report. The Democrats will win in Oklahoma's state races in the next election barring a GOP-boogie man like Sharia Law. $5 increase in registration fee (tax increase) to fund this ugly plate? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I miss the old Texas plate. New one is so dull and uninspired. Wow, nothing says Texas more than black and white.
I still have the 2009 plate on my car. I thought I was going to replace it this year since plates are replaced every 7 years, but I just Googled it and it turns out that according to TxDMV.gov:

Quote:
As of November 1, 2016, the State of Texas will no longer automatically replace your plates after 7 years. However, you may still apply at your county tax office for replacement plates if the license plate needs to be replaced for cosmetic or readability reasons.
Looks like I'm going to keep my plates for a little while longer! The 2009 design was replaced with the current black-and-white minimalist 1960's-era look mostly due to efforts from Texas law enforcement unions forwarding their officer's complaints about legibility from a distance.

Around the same time, the Eurozone was hooting for austerity. This plate is austere and sent the message that austerity is coming to Texas. (But one could say that the '60s look is also back in thanks to the Mad Men AMC TV series. The style in men's suits has been unchanged for 5 years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or