Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 AM

118 posts, read 289,887 times

Advertisements

What is this about the kids in 8th grade have to pass a test in order to get their drivers license. My son was telling me about this, he's 14 in the 8th grade. I have never heard anything about this. What kind of test is it anyway. Is the school's trying to tell me if my son should drive or not, he is my son, it's up to me, they don't even take time to teach the kid's. Much less teach them how to drive. I've been letting him learn to drive since he was 12. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, about the school's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:36 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
This is the first I've heard of this. Is this suppose to be something new? We didn't live here when my kids were in the 8th grade, but we moved here a few years ago when my youngest was in the 10th grade and had just turned 15. He didn't have to take any kind of test before he could get a drivers license but the drivers license tests, written and driving. He already had his learners permit from our old state.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM

I glad to see you respond, I've inquired about this, a little, from a couple of teacher's I know, they tell me yes its true. But I really don't know. It's got me kind of upset. I want to hear what others have to say, before I jump to conclusion about this. Anyone have any facts about this, or where to find out.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM

I just did a quick Google search, and it is just an 8th grade reading proficiency test. I guess they want to make sure they can read so they can read the drivers license handbook and the street signs.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Sounds like a great law to me.

If you can't read at an 8th grade level there should be penalties until you can.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I always wondered how people could drive if they can't read. We rented a car in France a couple of years ago, and it was hard to navigate when you had no idea what any of the signs said.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 18,429 times
I know this has already been answered, but I thought I might as well provide some insight.

If you fail the test, you are unable to get a driver's license until you are 18. I'm a sophomore in high school, and I had a friend that failed it, and he can't get his license. So yeah. It's real.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks for you reply taylordyoung, this is a dumb law letting the State decide wheather your son or daughter should drive or not, I'm 56, and look at some old people on the road, that can't see the signs, much less read them, these signs are more to identify what you are to do, very few are for reading. And Mexicans who drive cant even read english, much less other foreigners that are in this country. This is a stupit law, kind of like the ones on the voting valets today.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,066 times
well as far as iam concerned that reading test should be for all people
and if there from another country make them take a seperate test based at the 8th grade level in english also since our signs are in english as well

because i agree if you cant read the sign in the languge its writtin in then you shouldnt be able to get a a drivers permit of any kind
just makes since

i knew a guy that used to make 1000 dollars a week he said as a spanish interpritor for drivers permits but he said he was not only reading the questions to them but telling them the answers also
so its all a mess it should be givin in english and english only
just my opinion

Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick1 View Post
well as far as iam concerned that reading test should be for all people
and if there from another country make them take a seperate test based at the 8th grade level in english also since our signs are in english as well

because i agree if you cant read the sign in the languge its writtin in then you shouldnt be able to get a a drivers permit of any kind
just makes since

i knew a guy that used to make 1000 dollars a week he said as a spanish interpritor for drivers permits but he said he was not only reading the questions to them but telling them the answers also
so its all a mess it should be givin in english and english only
just my opinion
Are you sure that you could pass such a test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma