Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 AM

192 posts, read 219,223 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone i am looking for a little help
We will be coming from New Jersey to ft sill for a graduation
There do not appear to be any direct flights into Lawton so. My options are fly into Oklahoma City and then drive which shows it's about an hour and a half
Or option two is to fly into Dallas/ft worth and take another flight to Lawton or drive
Two and half hours ....... can anyone advise best bet on this

Also hotels the closest one shows about Two miles from the base and the others being in the general vicinity
I am looking at home wood suites, spying hill suites and similar

So is it easier to rent a car or use an Uber or cab to get from the airport and then to the base and restaurants there will be seven of us

Also looking for nice restaurants close by

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 07:16 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
I would fly into OKC and rent a minivan. That way you are independent when it comes to transportation and do not have a second chance of the usual aviation issues such as late flights, no luggage, ... Is Uber allowed on US military installations? You may want to post on the Military Forum there should be some current or former Ft. Sill folks and check the site of Ft. Sill for lodging/restaurant recommendations.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:57 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
The only flights in Lawton are on American through DFW. Same goes for Wichita Falls, 40 minutes south.

The Homewood and Springhill suites are in a cluster of hotels on the southwest corner of Gore and I-44. There are two restaurants nearby, a chain (Cracker Barrel) and a local sports bar (Mike's). Basic food. A good Tex-Mex place about a mile east on Gore, Tres Amigos. Nice restaurants (as in upscale)? Not in Lawton. There's a pretty good Cajun/southern place (Swigg's) on the west side, a couple of decent Japanese places (Kobe and Kimono), some truly authentic Koreans (near an Army or Air Force base that's a given) and the standard American chains (Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, El Chico, Buffalo Wild Wings) where I often see new graduates and their families.

There is a really interesting burger joint in Meers called the Meers Store (closed Tuesday and busy weekends). Also drive through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge if you have time, it's adjacent to Fort Sill.

Cabs are allowed on-base, there is no Uber that I am aware of in this area. I too recommend a van or larger SUV from OKC or DFW for flexibility. Be sure that all persons in the vehicle have a government-supplied ID (young children of course excepted) because the gate personnel will perform a 100% inspection of all IDs. From 0730-0830 (7:30-8:30 AM) the gate traffic backs up at all gates except the Key Gate which may be where the graduation is anyway, depends on where it's held, otherwise use Sheridan Gate off Rogers.

Congratulations on your graduate's accomplishment.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,314 times
Did you already go to the graduation? Where did yall end up going for dinner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma