Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
I agree. I don't see people of compassion taking any of these poor souls under their wing.
People are afraid they will be physically attacked or stolen from. That's why the state should take more interest in professionally helping them. But throwing them in prison over being mentally ill isn't the best treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:23 PM

471 posts, read 825,874 times
There's the mentally ill, then there's the mentally ill who commit crimes. Those who commit crimes are already incarcerated, or have completed their sentences and are therefore healed of their criminal activities. So you should be safe, and quite willing, to adopt one or two.

As for the State doing its part, it still runs the nuthouse in Norman. Some of the psychiatry residents even wear burkas, so everything must be proper & correct with the treatment they provide.

https://www.ok.gov/odmhsas/Additiona...ram/index.html

Old 07-23-2017, 04:38 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
People are afraid they will be physically attacked or stolen from. That's why the state should take more interest in professionally helping them. But throwing them in prison over being mentally ill isn't the best treatment.
No one gets thrown in prison for being mentally ill. They have to commit a crime, a felony to be convicted and put in prison.

Quote:
There's the mentally ill, then there's the mentally ill who commit crimes. Those who commit crimes are already incarcerated, or have completed their sentences and are therefore healed of their criminal activities. So you should be safe, and quite willing, to adopt one or two.

As for the State doing its part, it still runs the nuthouse in Norman. Some of the psychiatry residents even wear burkas, so everything must be proper & correct with the treatment they provide.

Good post. That place (Griffin Memorial) still scares me though.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
No one gets thrown in prison for being mentally ill. They have to commit a crime, a felony to be convicted and put in prison.
The Oklahoma County Jail isn't called the state's largest mental health facility for nothing.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
No one is going to take the homeless under their wings in 2017 .

And there's a good reason for that, it's because primary the homeless today in 2017 are sociopaths and Psychopaths.

The last year when someone could take someone under their wings , were the 1970s .

And I took Penity under my arms by giving them one (1)meal on one (1)day. And by picking up hitchhikers and giving free transit to theirs destination.

And don't ever forget all of the items of warm clothing on a cold winter day , but those days are bygone memories today the homeless are hardcore criminally insane people!!!

Last edited by Howest2008; 07-23-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:

The "nut house" is the reason there are so many 'derelicts' in Norman. During the Keating administration there was a movement away from the concept of keeping the patients in the state mental institutions and attempting to do community treatment instead. I know this because I worked at Griffin during the entire decade of the 1990s and watched the change.

Patients from all over the state are taken to Griffin (Eastern and Western State hospitals have been downsized and specialized as well). They generally have a less than 90 day stay at Griffin before they are turned back out. In many cases they stay around Norman after release. Many times the community services they need to access are far better in Norman than where they are from so some stay for that. Others stay because they are in and out of Griffin fairly frequently so it makes sense to stay in town. Many stay because they meet others in the hospital who will stay and they actually have a peer group.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 PM

2,658 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I love it when I wake up in the morning and that guy from Kenya Africa is President of the United States of America.....
Unfortunately this comment reinforces the negative stereotypes many people around the country have of Oklahomans. Everybody there isn't like this.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Unfortunately this comment reinforces the negative stereotypes many people around the country have of Oklahomans. Everybody there isn't like this.

Bingo because the vast majority of Oklahoman did not vote for Barack Hussein Obama....LOL..

I read the profile of the OP which stated that he loved waking up with Trump in the White House , hence you have my tongue in cheek reply........
get it????

Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
[quote=_redbird_;48932130]No one gets thrown in prison for being mentally ill. They have to commit a crime, a felony to be convicted and put in prison.
Sorry, not true. It's a well known fact that many non criminals with a mental illness end up in jail. They are also there longer, generally, and charged more for trumped up fines. And, coincidentally, it's usually the ones with a mental illness who die in jail. If I had a loved one with a mental illness, and he was going into OK. County Jail, I would tell someone at the jail immediately, and that nothing better happen to him/her. They've already had so many deaths there this year, it's disgusting.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:31 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
I was legal guardian for a mentally ill friend since 98-2015 and he was thrown into jail on made up stuff and beaten severely just on sight. At least 40 times arrest and 5 bad beatings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma