Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 PM

471 posts, read 825,874 times

Advertisements

I've been gone from central Oklahoma for the past 14 years. Coming back for visits I've noticed that the downtown area is overran with derelicts. It looks like a mass jail break from a half way house or a minimum security prison. And these are real derelicts, not OU students pretending to be derelicts because their Baby Boomer teachers taught them that being a derelict, sleeping in streets and eating out of garbage cans is cool.

Is there a new city ordinance authorizing deadbeats hanging around as a growth strategy? Maybe it brings in tourism? What's the strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 01:42 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
I've been gone from central Oklahoma for the past 14 years. Coming back for visits I've noticed that the downtown area is overran with derelicts. It looks like a mass jail break from a half way house or a minimum security prison. And these are real derelicts, not OU students pretending to be derelicts because their Baby Boomer teachers taught them that being a derelict, sleeping in streets and eating out of garbage cans is cool.

Is there a new city ordinance authorizing deadbeats hanging around as a growth strategy? Maybe it brings in tourism? What's the strategy?
I don't know, but you'll find the same sad situation under some of the overpasses in Oklahoma City. They are possibly mental cases. Since mental illness is such a shameful stigma in Oklahoma, legislators do not believe more money should be legislated to help them out. If one can not overcome mental illness on his own, then that's tough.

The situation also reflects how Oklahoma is ranked one of the worst states to live in. It's gotten even worse than Mississippi. Report: Oklahoma one of America

Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't know, but you'll find the same sad situation under some of the overpasses in Oklahoma City. They are possibly mental cases. Since mental illness is such a shameful stigma in Oklahoma, legislators do not believe more money should be legislated to help them out. If one can not overcome mental illness on his own, then that's tough.

The situation also reflects how Oklahoma is ranked one of the worst states to live in. It's gotten even worse than Mississippi. Report: Oklahoma one of America
Last month I was discussing it with a barber. Her shop is near downtown and she's been in business there since the early 1980s. Many Norman PD officers get their hairdos there. They tell her that law enforcement agencies in Texas share Texas's vibrant enrichment by purchasing Amtrak tickets for chronic dopeheads, recent prison discharges who don't have any form of supervised release to perform, and thugs who have finished their probation or parole. This explains why they hang around within walking distance of the Amtrak depot. The cops send them north because welfare benefits are more generous in Oklahoma than in Texas.

That's their story anyway. It reminds me of the story a friend told me of his days as an Edmond PD officer in the early 1990s. In fall they would round up all of the vagrants, dopeheads, etc. and give them a choice. They could spend the winter in the jail eating peanutbutter & jelly sandwiches, or the City would buy them a one way bus ticket to Miami. Most preferred to winter in south Florida.

One way to solve the problem is for caring & compassionate people to adopt at least one of these poor souls and provide them with a place to stay, clean clothes, and warm food. And entertainment. They'll need that too.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:

I love it when I wake up in the morning and that guy from Kenya Africa is President of the United States of America.....

Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I love it when I wake up in the morning and that guy from Kenya Africa is President of the United States of America.....
That comment is 8 years too late.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
When I was still working in prison, 50% of our general population was on psychotropics. It was even higher in the women's prisons.

And they tend to cycle while on the streets. They stop taking their meds and cannot be handled at home, so they wind up homeless.

They also have mental health alternatives to jail, similar to drug court. But who can "force" a mentally ill person to get treatment! Add substance abuse and the problem gets worse.

Buying them a bus ticket is like applying a band-aid where major surgery is required.

Working with the mentally ill is no picnic. Good to see Texas stepping up to the plate. <Sarcasm>

Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Last month I was discussing it with a barber. Her shop is near downtown and she's been in business there since the early 1980s. Many Norman PD officers get their hairdos there. They tell her that law enforcement agencies in Texas share Texas's vibrant enrichment by purchasing Amtrak tickets for chronic dopeheads, recent prison discharges who don't have any form of supervised release to perform, and thugs who have finished their probation or parole. This explains why they hang around within walking distance of the Amtrak depot. The cops send them north because welfare benefits are more generous in Oklahoma than in Texas.

That's their story anyway. It reminds me of the story a friend told me of his days as an Edmond PD officer in the early 1990s. In fall they would round up all of the vagrants, dopeheads, etc. and give them a choice. They could spend the winter in the jail eating peanutbutter & jelly sandwiches, or the City would buy them a one way bus ticket to Miami. Most preferred to winter in south Florida.

One way to solve the problem is for caring & compassionate people to adopt at least one of these poor souls and provide them with a place to stay, clean clothes, and warm food. And entertainment. They'll need that too.
Dubious claims

Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That comment is 8 years too late.
Yes it is but it felt so so so good...LOL...

You could put Barnyard animals into the Oval Office and given the right advisors , and cabinet members ( the good old United States of America ) will run just as smoothly as always.

It's the system that makes America great not the men in the Oval Office , and that's the reason why
not much difference is noticed between the great
Obummer and ( what's his name (?)...

Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yes it is but it felt so so so good...LOL...

You could put Barnyard animals into the Oval Office and given the right advisors , and cabinet members ( the good old United States of America ) will run just as smoothly as always.

It's the system that makes America great not the men in the Oval Office , and that's the reason why
not much difference is noticed between the great
Obummer and ( what's his name (?)...
An interesting comment, but during happy hour with a friend, he said what really worries him is not Trump, but rather vice president Pence, if he becomes president from the result of Trump being impeached. He also thought it was interesting how Pence hasn't been speaking out to defend Trump of his controversies. With Pence, it's like just keep it up with your idiocy, and I can become president.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Dubious claims
I agree. I don't see people of compassion taking any of these poor souls under their wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma