U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2017, 07:45 PM
 
35 posts, read 38,830 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 22-year-old from Ft. Worth, Texas. I graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State in May, 2017 with a BS in Occupational Safety and Health. After college I got a safety job for a large general contractor in Dallas where I currently work. Although I work for a great company, I do not want to work in Construction forever because of all of the moving involved. I minored in History in College and really have a passion for it, could see myself teaching history in school. After going to college in Durant, I really like southeast Oklahoma, especially the real pretty rural areas like the region up around Sardis lake. Eventually I would like to gain my Oklahoma teacher certification and hopefully become a history/geography teacher in rural southeast Oklahoma. I understand that it would be a tremendous pay cut for me, but I think I would really enjoy it, plus I would get summers off and would be able to stay in one place.

Soooo...
Is getting my teacher certification and finding a job in a very small school in southeast Oklahoma feasible? I truly think that I would enjoy it more than my current job and I am very tight with my money, so the decreased salary would be okay with me as I am not married and have no kids.

Also, what would the path be for me to become a licensed Oklahoma teacher?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2017, 01:38 PM
 
5,006 posts, read 14,110,692 times
Reputation: 2445
Personally, I wouldn't teach in Oklahoma. The pay is low, and now they are raising the retirement age. Fallon keeps taking more and more money away from the schools and gives it to big oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,022 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Personally, I wouldn't teach in Oklahoma. The pay is low, and now they are raising the retirement age. Fallon keeps taking more and more money away from the schools and gives it to big oil.
At least the cost of living is low.

I don't know how much worse things have to get before Oklahomans can see the value of education and start supporting it better. Until then Dum is GuD in Oklahoma.

If your legislators are governing public education like they send their children to private schools and universities, then please vote them out in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Pending
171 posts, read 136,571 times
Reputation: 261
They spend MILLIONS on a fancy Football stadium or anything relating to stupid Sports. But at the end the Teachers get the shaft !!

Sounds like the New "Oklahoma way lMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Jenks, Ok
874 posts, read 1,430,799 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
They spend MILLIONS on a fancy Football stadium or anything relating to stupid Sports. But at the end the Teachers get the shaft !!

Sounds like the New "Oklahoma way lMAO
That's not really it. In Oklahoma by law operational funds are set by the state. Local communities cannot add funding to local schools for operations. But local communities can fund capital projects, like stadiums or classrooms by voting for it, but it takes a 60% majority to fund capital projects for schools.

My son's high school has a football stadium and basketball arena better than NCAA division II schools. A natatorium better than many NCAA division I schools. It has it's own planetarium in a LEED gold certified math and science center with all the latest lab equipment. Every student had their own laptop, every classroom has a smart board. The facilities are among the best in the nation. Anything that can be capitalized is first rate. But even there, teacher's pay sucks because the jokers at the state won't fund schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2017, 06:35 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,101 times
Reputation: 18
Oklahoma, will never change until the " so called christians " (crooked as a dog's hind leg), and it's other idiotic group" GOP " voter's are locked up for the mass occurrences of paedophilia at schools, churches, or they die. The majority of it's school systems are scrapping by, all while the above mentioned group's continually cut budgets.

However, you can bet your A$$ these individuals show up in church to donate and discuss who they're going to Judge, Discriminate Against, while calling themselves " Christians ". I hope God Truely does have that Special Place reserved just for them... HELL!

When you see Teacher's on the local news station's, standing at intersections begging for a donation is quite sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,022 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Reputation: 5450
Oklahoma Christians feel too poor to provide more support for education as was well proven by voter rejection of a 1% sales tax for education. Also as long as voters insist upon keeping legislators in office who support public education as if they send their children and grandchildren to private schools and universities, there will be no better support for public education in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is led by Republican politicians who quite strongly believe in making the already well off more so, in order to promote a better society. The theory is give special favors to the rich and their businesses, and it will get trickled down to the poor. I don't think it's been working well. If it worked, there would be many more business and jobs, in turn higher tax revenues and money to give teachers a pay raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,634,194 times
Reputation: 2396
Why in Hevens Sake would you want to teach in Oklahoma? Our state government has been cutting education funding for the last 7 or 8 years. Our state legislators have zero respect for teachers. They will not be there to cover your back. A few weeks ago, a Tulsa Public school teacher stood at an off ramp holding a sign say she would work for school supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 PM
 
Location: plano
6,923 posts, read 8,586,900 times
Reputation: 6285
OP have you considered teaching in far NE Texas near the OK border? That might be a good spot to look as SE is close and those towns are conservative but not nut jobs as some seem to think all Christians are in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake94 View Post
Hi,

I am a 22-year-old from Ft. Worth, Texas. I graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State in May, 2017 with a BS in Occupational Safety and Health. After college I got a safety job for a large general contractor in Dallas where I currently work. Although I work for a great company, I do not want to work in Construction forever because of all of the moving involved. I minored in History in College and really have a passion for it, could see myself teaching history in school. After going to college in Durant, I really like southeast Oklahoma, especially the real pretty rural areas like the region up around Sardis lake. Eventually I would like to gain my Oklahoma teacher certification and hopefully become a history/geography teacher in rural southeast Oklahoma. I understand that it would be a tremendous pay cut for me, but I think I would really enjoy it, plus I would get summers off and would be able to stay in one place.

Soooo...
Is getting my teacher certification and finding a job in a very small school in southeast Oklahoma feasible? I truly think that I would enjoy it more than my current job and I am very tight with my money, so the decreased salary would be okay with me as I am not married and have no kids.

Also, what would the path be for me to become a licensed Oklahoma teacher?

Thanks!
Hey my fellow Okies, I know we're trying to cut down on transplantation on guys like Chicagodude, but sheesh.

Blake, by some of the responses on here you would think Oklahoma is Apocolyptopolis. It's your lucky day because I'm the ray of sunshine (Goodpasture and Redbird notwithstanding) in this forum.

My relatives taught/lived in the Broken Bow area for a long time and loved it. SE Oklahoma (and many other parts) is beautiful, underratedly so.

If you wanna make more money, which is highly overrated, you can always move later on if you need to.

Okies, we should commend Blake for realizing that Oklahoma is better than Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top