U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 AM

74 posts, read 70,703 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Tulsa, but never went to Tahlequah. Now I want to move back.

Im looking for the sort of town that Tahlequah shows to be on paper. 16k population, crime below average, 1 bedroom apartments below average cost (cheap). Kinda a college town.

I've seen pics of the surrounding nature, Ten Killer, and Illinois River. Really stunning nature areas.

But I just dont get the city of Tahlequah. I can't find good images or video of what the place looks like. It is very cheap very safe, usually those two things do not go together, plus a comfortable winter with good sun.

So what is the story?

Is Tahlequah run down? Having no charm, or cool? If you have any comparisons to Tulsa, of course on a tiny scale, but visually what it looks like/feels like.

Looking for a chill place for 55+ folks. Where everyone gets together and along.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM

18,013 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Tahlequah is surely cool. It's been growing, adding on population. If like Stillwater, it has a senior citizens center.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM

74 posts, read 70,703 times
Thanks. I have never been to Stillwater though. Hopefully in the coming week I can get even more info.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:09 AM

8,285 posts, read 6,893,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
Thanks. I have never been to Stillwater though. Hopefully in the coming week I can get even more info.

I remember a book that came out about 20 years ago called "the best 100 small towns in America". Tahlequah made that list. One of only two Oklahoma towns that did so.

Tahlequah is in a beautiful spot. Has the fourth largest University in the state and one that has a legacy to the Cherokee nation from before statehood. It is also close to both Tulsa and NW Arkansas for further amenities. As mentioned earlier being the HQ of the various Cherokee tribes provides some unique things to the town.

It's grown steadily. I think I'd enjoy living there and being able to access the Illinois River, lake Tenkiller and the Boston Mountains.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,109,414 times
I live here. I moved here because someone on city data once said that Tahlequah was one of the best towns in Ok. It is.

We have a large Indian population here and once a year the Indian National Holiday. Best if you come here, you love Indians. We don't harass anyone, but still, it would be good to like us.

We have an old town, but just south of it is what I call ugly sprawl.

It is a clean town, but only if you walk along your street and pick up the trash that people have thrown out of their cars and trucks. The town itself keeps trash picked up.

Tahlequah has been tearing down old homes that are an eye sore. But this, in turn, has left some people homeless. They sleep in the parks and along the river, but when it is cold our police dept. is nice. They know where they are and put them in jail over night. We have a new homeless shelter that can't afford to let them spend the night, but they feed them 6 days a week. Give them a big hand.

We have a lot of ticks, mosquitoes and chiggers. So we have tick fever and some Nile fever. The chiggers are just mean. You will be sorry if you meet up with any of these critters.

I have been all over OK, and Tahlequah is one of the best towns. I did like Guthrie but it is big city. I hate big cities which is the reason I don't like Tulsa, but you will have to travel there for good doctors.

Speaking of which, two of our best doctors are retiring, and doctors don't stay here, so God only knows what I will do in a year from now.

On the outskirts of town they are building huge mansions or mini mansions. I hate these too.

It is mostly the bible belt, but there is a Unitarian Church here that offsets it. It is a haven for what Christians call children eaters.

We are mostly democrats, but the Republicans speak louder, so you would never know it.

We have a Gay and Lesbian day in the park once a year. It is fun even if you are not an LGBT.

We have a Red Fern Festival where coon hounds terrorize a raccoon in the park.

we have a motor cycle day where Christians come and terrorize the non-Christians, running them down with their motorcycles.

We have a great library with a few book groups.

We have a meth problem here, but I haven't seen it.

What we really need is someone to come here and buy the Iguana Café for $400,000 and reopen it so our locals can have some place to meet.

If you wish to see Tahlequah use Google earth and stroll down Muskogee Avenue.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,633,360 times
I think Mattie Joe, Eddie gein hit it right on the head. I did want to add a few other things. Tahlequah sits in the Ozarks, which is one of the more scenic areas in Oklahoma, with really clear creeks, rivers and lakes. I'm really surprised Tahlequah doesn't get more attention than it gets now. Also I think that is good because it keeps the town somewhat small and charming. My dads family is from Tahlequah, so are my inlaws, so I'm pretty familiar with the town. My late uncle was a cop there. I wouldn't have any problem at all living in Tahlequah, I personally think it's one of prettiest town in Oklahoma, and a high quality of life, and plenty of culture.

PS I should have mentioned Tahlequah is the home of the Cherokee Nation, the Cherokees are probably the most dominant presents in Tahlequah, and that entire area. The Cherokees are very progressive and are always doing great things for their hometown of Tahlequah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or