U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Reputation: 2396

Advertisements

Has anybody ever wondered what the dynamics of Oklahoma City and Tulsa metro area would have been like today if back in the 1960s Oklahoma had put a large airport in Stroud, and then connected Oklahoma City and Tulsa with high-speed rail. Instead of will Rogers World Airport and Tulsa international airport? Right now Oklahoma City and Tulsa have a combined Metropolitan area a little bit more than 2 million people, both the cities are serviced by their own airport, could you imagine if they actually shared one airport? Who knows Braniff could've made it their big hub, and still be around today. I think Tulsa and Oklahoma City would be much bigger cities today, if a big airport had been in Stroud. Oklahoma City probably would've grown toward the north east, and Tulsa would have grown to the Southwest. Tulsa's built it area may have extended as far south west as Bristow, where Oklahoma City may have gone as far north west as Chandler.

I know Denvers airport is a long way from downtown, and I know Kansas City is airport is at least 20 or 25 miles from downtown. It just seems if like during the 50s and 60s Oklahoma had planned to put a large airport in Stroud, Oklahoma City and Tulsa would be dramatically different than it is today.

Anybody have any wild thoughts on that? Or any other crazy what if things about Oklahoma, like making the Deep Fork River navigable from OKC metro all the way to the Arkansas River?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,040 posts, read 14,346,167 times
Reputation: 5452
50 miles or more to the nearest major airport for Tulsa and Oklahoma City would be too much of a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
50 miles or more to the nearest major airport for Tulsa and Oklahoma City would be too much of a drive.
Did you see the part about a high speed rail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,040 posts, read 14,346,167 times
Reputation: 5452
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Did you see the part about a high speed rail?
I certainly did. But did it exist in the U. S. during the 1960s? And like the bus, I doubt people want to wait for the train. But if I'm wrong, people might want to take a train to Stroud to go to a huge new stadium to see Oklahoma play pro football.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-17-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Status: "We will overcome COVID-19. America will prevail!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
48,851 posts, read 38,799,501 times
Reputation: 29448
I cannot see an airport being built in Stroud. It would not, in any way, be profitable or beneficial. And OKC and Tulsa are not one area; they are two large cities with distinctly different personalities and are over 100 miles apart from one another.

Sorry. Don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I cannot see an airport being built in Stroud. It would not, in any way, be profitable or beneficial. And OKC and Tulsa are not one area; they are two large cities with distinctly different personalities and are over 100 miles apart from one another.

Sorry. Don't see it.
I'm not saying this would happen in today's climate, I'm saying what if they had done this back in the 50s? I really don't think there would've been any change for to be built anyway I'm just saying I'm kind of curious what area would be like if that had happened. I was just throwing something out there. The one thing I don't think, there hasn't been one single day in Oklahoma history that this state ever had a progressive idea! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I certainly did. But did it exist in the U. S. during the 1960s? And like the bus, I doubt people want to wait for the train. But if I'm wrong, people might want to take a train to Stroud to go to a huge new stadium to see Oklahoma play pro football.
Many steam and diesel locomotives were quite capable of doing over 100 mph throughout the 20th century. That line could have even been electrified. But I'm not saying that the state should try to attempt this, because let's be honest we can't maintained roads or pay our teachers a decent salary.

I'm just saying let's try to imagine what it would have been like, if Oklahoma had made a sizable airport between Oklahoma City and Tulsa, to service this area. We all know that Oklahoma would be incapable of ever
Looking that far forward, so this would have never happened. I was just saying what it had been interesting to see what the area Would be like today if that would have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,723 posts, read 12,828,285 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Many steam and diesel locomotives were quite capable of doing over 100 mph throughout the 20th century. That line could have even been electrified. But I'm not saying that the state should try to attempt this, because let's be honest we can't maintained roads or pay our teachers a decent salary.

I'm just saying let's try to imagine what it would have been like, if Oklahoma had made a sizable airport between Oklahoma City and Tulsa, to service this area. We all know that Oklahoma would be incapable of ever
Looking that far forward, so this would have never happened. I was just saying what it had been interesting to see what the area Would be like today if that would have happened.



Yes okie1962... I can see it clearly , if only Captain Kirk and the whole entire crew of the Enterprise would've came to Oklahoma and invaded the state.

And GOD Forbid impregnated all of the woman in the GREAT STATE OF OKLAHOMA ,I could see this happening in the 1950s or the 1960s in Oklahoma
promoted by the children of Captain Kirk....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,634,866 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yes okie1962... I can see it clearly , if only Captain Kirk and the whole entire crew of the Enterprise would've came to Oklahoma and invaded the state.

And GOD Forbid impregnated all of the woman in the GREAT STATE OF OKLAHOMA ,I could see this happening in the 1950s or the 1960s in Oklahoma
promoted by the children of Captain Kirk....LOL.
It would be physically impossible to impregnate all women in Oklahoma, even if they were ideal candidates to get pregnant. Over half of these gals have their bible belts on a tad to tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 12:38 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,723 posts, read 12,828,285 times
Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
It would be physically impossible to impregnate all women in Oklahoma, even if they were ideal candidates to get pregnant. Over half of these gals have their bible belts on a tad to tight.


LOL....rolling on the carpet!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top