U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:41 PM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantisimaMuerte View Post
I live in central OK and I think it has to do with poor nutritional education and classic southern-fried food options. I was a fat kid and we never learned anything about food or nutrition at all in school, so it's natural for people to grow up choosing what tastes good over what's actually good for them. I was a fat adult for a long time too until I finally educated myself about calories and nutrition.

Arkansas is worse than Oklahoma though. I was there for some work training 2 years ago and holy crap, I swear 8 out of 10 people I encountered on a daily basis was either overweight or straight up morbidly obese.
I don't see how I could get that fat, unless I was always committed to eating 3 large meals a day with deserts, snacked between meals and washed everything down with a six pack or two, whether soft drinks or beer. I'm thankful I don't have a huge appetite for food. The new chicken fast food places in town don't quite thrill me with their fried food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM

3,884 posts, read 2,121,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterok View Post
I was born and raised in Oklahoma, so that is all I know. You get made fun of constantly for being a normal size. Family included. Always telling you that you need to eat more, or that they can feel your ribs when you bend over to hug them. If I’m correct, we also have the highest number of fast food restaurants per capita in the country. Just google worst states to live in. We’re always top 5!
This is very true! I am 5'8" and weigh 155-160 lbs. Technically about 20 lbs overweight. People call me skinny. I am not skinny.

People just DO NOT know what healthy, normal weight people look like anymore.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 AM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Oh boy!
Why is it up to an educational institution to teach about nutrition? Look in the mirror, pick up a book, Google a web site. Otherwise your peers will educate you. All these posts here about how bad the school system is. You do not relinquish your responsibilities as parent once your six year old crosses the threshold of a school. It is just so much easier to blame everything on this mysterious all encompassing system which is supposed to spit out well educated, good looking perfect young adults upon graduation.

OK is somewhat of a food dessert compared to other parts of the country; you cannot change soil and weather conditions. Every grocery store I have been to and I go grocery shopping for fun and entertainment has a decent selection of fruit and vegetables. Buy what is in season or on sale, freeze, can, pickle. But that involves effort. You can have a small garden almost anywhere. Our herb garden is still going, spinach is ready for harvest and scallions are daily fare. But you have to plant them first. Nobody forces you to buy junk food. I have yet to have a bully twist my arm to put Twinkies in my shopping cart. After two years in OK I can truthfully say that I have never been to a fast food place. Will they pull my drivers license for that crime? If you live out in the boonies you may have to do some planning to save on time and gas. Turn the TV off!
Our neighborhood has sidewalks which everyone ignores. You see kids playing and adults walking or jogging every day. Town is actually putting in sidewalks along 152 which will make for a nice and safe 5 mile run. I do not think sneakers are being given away at town hall. You still have to put in some fort, get out of bed and out there. Who knows you might in the sense of the word run into a nice person with similar interests as your own.
Pop or soda is something we do not buy. That simple. I gladly offer water, juice, beer, wine. Take your pick.
A serious question - as everyone is over weight or obese - who buys all the mall sized clothes from Tanner's to WallMart? Do they just bring them in to fill the displays?

Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Oh boy!

Our neighborhood has sidewalks which everyone ignores. You see kids playing and adults walking or jogging every day.
Your statement contradicts. If people don't use the sidewalks, one reason why is they don't want to be judged as to why they are doing that from the people driving by in the comfort of their cars. Of course, there are other better reasons, such as you got a lot to buy at Wal-Mart, too much to carry back.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 397,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Your statement contradicts. If people don't use the sidewalks, one reason why is they don't want to be judged as to why they are doing that from the people driving by in the comfort of their cars. Of course, there are other better reasons, such as you got a lot to buy at Wal-Mart, too much to carry back.
They prefer using the streets and motorists are going slowwwww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or