Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:54 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Not all restaurants are like that. Try Whiskey Cake in OKC. I had the manager's praised daily changing sandwich - toasted sourdough, turkey, avocado, micro greens, spicy remoulade and cheese. More like the third day after Thanksgiving. The beer was good. It has been a while that I raided the fridge after dinner and cake with whipped cream.

BTW - tiny Mexican place in Mustang, somewhat hidden behind an Italian place on 152 - home cooked, vegetables in burrito were fresh, SO's beef came hot off the griddle. Salsa was homemade and service a la Speedy Gonzales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 12:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I spend several months in Oklahoma during this summer and fall this year. I did witness a large amount of obese people especially in smaller towns. Wealthy people are not obese for the most part. Its the lower income lower educated ones that have the biggest problems. There are a lot of people who are clueless on eating healthy. Lots of fried foods, lots of buffet restaurants and exercise is just not something most people do. Also seemed like more people smoked cigarettes too. You would think the one positive about being a smoker would be less eating but I saw a lot of very obese smokers.

The one upside to this. I am a little overweight but felt better about myself with all the obese people around me. Its all relative.
Typically smokers have an easier time keeping their weight in check because one of the few positives of the habit is that it increases your metabolism and decreases your appetite. Around here though it does seem like a lot of smokers are also obese.

In terms of staying fit, it can be difficult around here due to the extreme weather, lack of walkability, and the fact that even in central OKC most streets don't have sidewalks. If you are serious about staying in shape you pretty much have to join a gym which costs money.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:05 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Typically smokers have an easier time keeping their weight in check because one of the few positives of the habit is that it increases your metabolism and decreases your appetite. Around here though it does seem like a lot of smokers are also obese.

In terms of staying fit, it can be difficult around here due to the extreme weather, lack of walkability, and the fact that even in central OKC most streets don't have sidewalks. If you are serious about staying in shape you pretty much have to join a gym which costs money.
This is rose fertilizer. There are plenty of parks and sidewalks all over. It means you have to get out of bed early if you cannot handle the heat. Most apartment complexes have gyms and some national chains cost 10/mo. Just go downtown OKC and you see a lot of folks parking for an hour and running.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Because, according to Oklahomans, "if it ain't fried it ain't food"

I spend a lot of time on the road for my work and it is impossible, especially in rural areas, to find food that is healthy. Even the salads, if you can find them, are made with iceberg lettuce which has 0 nutritional value.
This is 100 percent true. The quality of food that people eat in this state is abysmal. Want a drink of water? No, I want a "pop" (can't stand that word, it wreaks of hick) instead. People simply don't eat anything healthy, at least not compared to the national average. That's why there are so many diabetics and disabled in Oklahoma.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Too many good cooks?

Old 12-21-2017, 08:12 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
i spent 3 years there once and lived out on a farm outside a small town and I remember going in grocery stores and seeing all white foods and large chunks of meat . Lots of processed . I went to alot of farmers markets , road stands and had my own garden . Fruits and veggies in some stores were really hit and miss.

Then of course fry -bread , yum ...but I won't go there .

Old 12-21-2017, 02:34 PM

38 posts, read 23,849 times
I live in central OK and I think it has to do with poor nutritional education and classic southern-fried food options. I was a fat kid and we never learned anything about food or nutrition at all in school, so it's natural for people to grow up choosing what tastes good over what's actually good for them. I was a fat adult for a long time too until I finally educated myself about calories and nutrition.

Arkansas is worse than Oklahoma though. I was there for some work training 2 years ago and holy crap, I swear 8 out of 10 people I encountered on a daily basis was either overweight or straight up morbidly obese.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Similar conditions exist in Texas. Yes, the Mexican food is delicious, as is the biscuits and gravy, french fries, monster burgers.

I don't eat it, hence I'm not obese.

People are going to eat what they grew up on - carbs.

I do see lots of folks out biking, walking, running here in Fort Worth.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,347 times
I was born and raised in Oklahoma, so that is all I know. You get made fun of constantly for being a normal size. Family included. Always telling you that you need to eat more, or that they can feel your ribs when you bend over to hug them. If I’m correct, we also have the highest number of fast food restaurants per capita in the country. Just google worst states to live in. We’re always top 5!

Old 12-21-2017, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Because, according to Oklahomans, "if it ain't fried it ain't food"

I spend a lot of time on the road for my work and it is impossible, especially in rural areas, to find food that is healthy. Even the salads, if you can find them, are made with iceberg lettuce which has 0 nutritional value.
The salad comment is so accurate it made me laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma