U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
It appears the anti fracking movement has some Russian money behind it. I wonder if they are being honest by only wanting no fracking for the environment or to increase demand for their oil? I believe it was in the Hill yesterday as an opinion piece.
Given the propagenda machine surrounding our current 'government', no reason it wouldn't touch many aspects of the mess our nation is in. And it really doesn't MATTER. The fraking is still going to make more quakes and when the current invasion is done, the effects of that will stay. And the oil companies will also be operating in a world where greed matters more than anything else.

As the science has been established, and in multiple areas fraking is followed by a lot of quakes, the only thing which really matters is that oil companies and other special interests continue to push it and resist its being banned knowing the harm, again over GREED.

We need to be rid of greed, the open card for oil companies AND the Russians. And also rid ourselves of the current adminestration and its well riddled core of greed and manipulation which grows worse daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
So you think selling nuclear assets to Russia under Obama was good it bad or just more greedy stuff? How are we going to get rid of the greedy Russians? Or oil companies? They aren't all USA based by miles.

Say we snap our fingers and oil companies go away. Who's going to find and produce gasoline or natural gas to hear homes? The government? Ask Mexico how that worked out.

I don't like earthquakes either. So change the fracking process if it's the cause don't end people's jobs and a source of fuel for our way of life.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM

5,216 posts, read 9,343,706 times
Quote:
So you think selling nuclear assets to Russia under Obama was good it bad or just more greedy stuff? How are we going to get rid of the greedy Russians? Or oil companies? They aren't all USA based by miles.
Another Russia-based conspiracy theory? You must really believe that Trump is the president instead of him posing as one.

Can I have what you're smoking? The illicit weed in Texas is definitely stronger than the ones for sale in California dispensaries.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:31 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Quote:

Say we snap our fingers and oil companies go away. Who's going to find and produce gasoline or natural gas to hear homes? The government? Ask Mexico how that worked out.

I don't like earthquakes either. So change the fracking process if it's the cause don't end people's jobs and a source of fuel for our way of life.
How do we 'change' the fraking process when its the cause, other than to remove it? If its claimed that it must be allowed to happen, then every single person endangered by its results must be allowed to say no. And the cost of getting their permission should be so high its not worth it.

What's so hard about understanding that PEOPLE are more important than oil company profits? Shouldn't those people be given a voice? Shouldn't citizens be allowed to say NO first when it could cost them a home and risk their safety? When did people become chump change next to Big Oil and its dark little hole?

The thing is that the oil companies claim that fraking is the means that they are extracting so much oil. They are getting production out of played out areas. They are also trigering quakes which are damaging homes and risking the personal safety of people who get nothing from it. They are also endangering the fresh water reserve by the fracturing allowing contaminants to leak in. If you live in California, Mother Nature owns the quakes. She doesn't listen to humans. But Big Oil Greed does not get that pass and owns those quakes and that they allowed them to happen. Thus we can stop Big Oil Greed.

How does this work? Its very simple. Look at the science. Fraking causes quakes. The fix is simple. If fraking causes quakes its really basic and straightforward. Stop it. If its risking the health and safety of people who were not ask, then they are reaching too far.

The safety of the people who live where the quakes have been destroying buildings and damaging homes DO supercede the oil company profits and jobs. Why are the oil companies who claim that its needed not feeding a fund which will have sufficent funds from their profits to rebuild and restore ANY property which is damaged in a quake, paying for alternate living area until its done, and should anyone die, make it extremely expensive for them as they must pay off the family as well.

I don't care if people lose jobs if its to prevent other people from losing their homes and possibily lives. Few of them are locals. Those who have these jobs owe them too.

There needs to be a clearing process and an approval based on the likelyhood of damage to any homes or infrastructer for ANY fraking process, requiring science, and if there is ANY danger, then the answer is no.

If you walk through downtown Cushing right now, a lot of it is closed up and missing. The quake which caused the damage, and turned streets into ghost town was triggered. Why hasn't the oil company responsible funding the rebuilding and restoration of the town? Why haven't the owners not been helped in suing the oil company requiring restoration of lost income until they are open? Why have not any home owners with damage been accomidated to be paid for their damage? These companies are NOT invulnerable to harm done by them and if they choose not to pay then they should lose the right to use fraking at all.

Lets suspend ALL fraking for a long enough time that its clear where its triggering quakes, and ban it from being resumed in these cases. Lets require all those who were damaged by these quakes to be well paid and their damage fixed by the oil companies before they can resume any wells at all.

Stand up to them before there's nothing left to stand up FOR.

Last edited by nightbird47; 11-01-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 05:33 AM

18,119 posts, read 8,145,654 times
Just to clear something up, it's not the fracking that's causing the quakes... it's wastewater injection wells. While fracking has consequences environmentally, it's the injection wells that are causing seismic disturbances. Last year (Labor Day weekend) my wife and I were on I-35 near Guthrie heading to her uncle's funeral in Wichita when that big one hit. We didn't feel it, but heard about it when we got to Wichita. Her cousin said "OK, that was fun, but when you go back to Oklahoma, take your earthquakes with you." The cousin's husband, who works as a petroleum engineer for a drilling company in Haysville, told me "Yep, that was us", with "us" being the industry. He explained wastewater injection and how it has been recently proven to be the cause of the quakes, which definitely don't feel like the ones I felt in California when I was stationed there. He used the term "seismically sensitive areas" such as NW OK, and alluded to smoking while pumping gas into one's car. Most of the time you get away with it, but if not, the consequences are dire. Areas which are not seismically sensitive (e.g. North Dakota) don't have the incidence of wastewater-induced quakes.

Last week I noticed a ticker headline on the news which confirmed injection wells as the culprit. Where they have significantly reduced injection, the quakes have slowed, reduced in intensity, or stopped. My in-laws west of Enid have not had a palpable earthquake in some time. But it's not enough; maybe a class-action from people who have suffered damage is needed, given the overwhelming evidence of the causes.

A good apolitical discussion from the USGS: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

Old 11-02-2017, 05:38 AM

23,587 posts, read 10,775,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Now Russian is behind this? I don't want oil or fracking. I want really clean energy.
We have clean energy. It is called natural gas, and oil. It is so abundant her in the U.S., it can be considered "renewable". Wind, and solar can NOT power our country. Fracking does not cause earthquakes, and is heavily regulated by states, and Fed EPA. It provides jobs, tax revenue, and DOMESTIC ENERGY.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We have clean energy. It is called natural gas, and oil. It is so abundant her in the U.S., it can be considered "renewable". Wind, and solar can NOT power our country. Fracking does not cause earthquakes, and is heavily regulated by states, and Fed EPA. It provides jobs, tax revenue, and DOMESTIC ENERGY.
True, how the fracking part doesn't, but injection of waste water near faults does.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,527,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
As the science has been established, and in multiple areas fraking is followed by a lot of quakes, the only thing which really matters is that oil companies and other special interests continue to push it and resist its being banned knowing the harm, again over GREED.
except its not fracking that causes the quakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or