U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:25 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, I walked over the the downtown area of Cushing. There were places I liked to go, like the record store and wouldn't miss the book store. And the theater was a nice cheap way to see a movie. And its was a nice calm comfortable space. But now its a ghost town.

It took a while to find the book store, which is empty, but I recognized the arch and nearby buildings. It was a very sad walk. I won't do it again.

Not to mention that they were lucky nobody died in the Tower.

Then I am watching the local news today and there is this ad. It's funded by the oil companies. They start saying don't listen to the critics, showing some people protesting fracking. Then they go on and show oil wells and other crap which will fufill our future.... of what, wreakage?????

But I'm from California. This little wood frame house I have would NOT survive a major quake. And half of Cushing with be in ruins, not to mention so many other places. And these greed machines continue to insist there is no connection. The fault lines in California were known about a long time ago and you can't 'fix' them, but they absolutely can move to protect the citizens of this state by banning fraking.

I am considering writing the station and asking for that ad to be removed as its lies and propaganda. People matter more than money. And fraking has to be stopped. I would like to see the business in downtown Cushing rebuilt and restored and every single penny comes from the greed of the oil interests. And any areas rebuilt, like the Tower, should be reimbursed in full with a penalty.

People matter more than oil barrons and perhaps the state should institute a very high tax on any profits which is used to help repair damage from their quakes and should the quakes become more common, the tax goes up so much per instance. And all fracking is halted after a quake so the situation is not made worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:26 PM

18,018 posts, read 14,334,567 times
I hear ya. Also consider that at least 3 states have totally banned fracking. Their concern mainly wasn't about it causing earthquakes but rather with it causing air and water pollution.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,732,214 times
We were approached about a year or so that they were coming onto our ranch with a fracking well. They pulled the order and went on to the ranch behind ours thank goodness but I still always worried. Many on this site acted like I shouldn't even comment on the not wanting the well because of jobs and the money in Oklahoma. We're on a well and one person on this site told me to buy my water! It tells you about the people of this State, they do not care about there water, pollution or Noise....

Old 10-26-2017, 09:19 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,110,692 times
I don't know how we could stop fracking since the governor never listens to the people.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:18 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
I've got a gallon britta water pitcher, and any water which gets drunk or used for food or fed to the pets comes out of that. You can actually see the difference in the way the water looks, very clear and with a blue tinge. It looks cloudy coming out of the faucett.

Near where I live is some kind of oil business, currently called Bison but it changes often. I don't know what they do since nothing shows but they'll be making this loud sublimital humm and you can feel the vibration through the foundation. I worry about them too since its a mystery what they are adding to the mess. It just makes your nerves feel on edge constantly. If it or any of its predicesors had been there when I looked, this area would have been off my list.

My son and I figure I'll sell and move up close to him. Just as long as its not 'with' as while multi generational familys in the same house is hmmmmm, my dil's already live with them. But what I'm worrying about is with the big ugly so close would anyone want to buy?

I wonder what they'd say if a big quake hit square in the middle of the governers mansion or whatever they are raising money to fix, and undid all of it. Would it take something like that for the people who matter but are deaf to reality or would people finally quit shutting it all out in favor of football.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:09 PM

1,323 posts, read 836,466 times
Nightbird, that Britta isn't going to filter out harmful chemicals. What you need is a Berkey water filter. It will filter out all of those nasty bugs and chemicals to almost 0% level. My well water isn't all that great since I live on the downhill slope of orange groves and their fertilizers and herbicides are washed down to me. I bought a Berkey and had it tested by the county health dept and it tested true to their advertisements....no bacteria and no measurable pesticides or other chems in it. Please check it out.

Berkey Water Filter - New Millennium Concepts, Ltd

PS: the water tastes fabulous too!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 PM

I have never heard of that water. I use reverse osomosis. I would have never moved here either of i had known, but I don't know where I would have gone.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:22 AM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
It appears the anti fracking movement has some Russian money behind it. I wonder if they are being honest by only wanting no fracking for the environment or to increase demand for their oil? I believe it was in the Hill yesterday as an opinion piece.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
It appears the anti fracking movement has some Russian money behind it. I wonder if they are being honest by only wanting no fracking for the environment or to increase demand for their oil? I believe it was in the Hill yesterday as an opinion piece.
Now Russian is behind this? I don't want oil or fracking. I want really clean energy.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:18 PM

6,921 posts, read 8,584,898 times
Good luck. Why read to learn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or