U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 AM
 
1,219 posts, read 856,928 times
Reputation: 2249

Advertisements

The quakes in OK are caused by the wastewater injection. After two years here, we have figured out the “rotation” the trucks are on. When we start seeing the wastewater trucks, we know to expect quakes. It is a very easy pattern to learn.
Water will take the path of least resistance, so it’s blasted down in to the earth and finds the cracks between plates, fills the space, and shifts the plates. Presto! You get an earthquake..
We are renting and would never buy a house in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2017, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
The quakes in OK are caused by the wastewater injection. After two years here, we have figured out the “rotation” the trucks are on. When we start seeing the wastewater trucks, we know to expect quakes. It is a very easy pattern to learn.
Water will take the path of least resistance, so it’s blasted down in to the earth and finds the cracks between plates, fills the space, and shifts the plates. Presto! You get an earthquake..
We are renting and would never buy a house in this area.
I actually live IN Cushing. I don't get to see the trucks, only feel the results. And some of those have NOT been minor for older homes built 90 years ago. They need to STOP the waste water injection and live with it. And any damage in any house which happens from a quake they pay for the repair plus a penalty.

I came from California, and lived near several rather active faults, but buildings there are built to withstand them. They still ruin your day. I also moved here BEFORE they started making earthquakes. The powers that be here all deserve to be fired and replaced by people who will represent the PEOPLE of the area, not oil.

I assume that selling in this area is also going to be hard too. And a large number of people have already left Cushing. What we need is a class action law suit against the oil concerns demanding they cease causing quakes and pay for damage and lost peace of mine if they want to keep drilling, with NO fraking. And maybe they are required to buy homes which will not sell in an active zone. And I mean full value plus. I don't care about the exact details of how the quakes and worry come about.

Back when I first came, they were not fraking and there were no earthquakes, and I consider their actions basically criminal as they are endangering everyone who lives here. Safety wins over profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2017, 05:40 AM
 
1,219 posts, read 856,928 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I actually live IN Cushing. I don't get to see the trucks, only feel the results. And some of those have NOT been minor for older homes built 90 years ago. They need to STOP the waste water injection and live with it. And any damage in any house which happens from a quake they pay for the repair plus a penalty.

I came from California, and lived near several rather active faults, but buildings there are built to withstand them. They still ruin your day. I also moved here BEFORE they started making earthquakes. The powers that be here all deserve to be fired and replaced by people who will represent the PEOPLE of the area, not oil.

I assume that selling in this area is also going to be hard too. And a large number of people have already left Cushing. What we need is a class action law suit against the oil concerns demanding they cease causing quakes and pay for damage and lost peace of mine if they want to keep drilling, with NO fraking. And maybe they are required to buy homes which will not sell in an active zone. And I mean full value plus. I don't care about the exact details of how the quakes and worry come about.

Back when I first came, they were not fraking and there were no earthquakes, and I consider their actions basically criminal as they are endangering everyone who lives here. Safety wins over profit.
Do you know what amazes me about my current area? They are building brand NEW $500,000 houses right where the epicenters usually are, and people are buying the homes!
The local news station actually did a story from the front of one of them. Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Do you know what amazes me about my current area? They are building brand NEW $500,000 houses right where the epicenters usually are, and people are buying the homes!
The local news station actually did a story from the front of one of them. Crazy.
Hmmm, I wonder if they are building by California earthquake standards. Since quakes have been an issue there for a long time, the state requires new buildings to be able to resist the normal quakes, and stay in one piece. The big one who knows, but your house should stand up to a normal quake. It does mean that building can cost more, but its pretty much sure there will be quakes so it would be worthless to not have the dwelling able to resist.

If I was looking at a home, I'd look for telltale signs of damage, and also ask the owner if they'd had damage. Might be tempting to leave that part out. Or if in the case of a quake near water, if there was any dams to keep it there, I'd look at the lay of the land to see if my house would be sitting in a big wet puddle. If rivers or lakes are near, and the area floods, would I be swimming?

Geesh, my house was bought for 13k. $500,000???? and in a hot zone for quakes????? Sounds like stories I heard about the 1920's and early 30's in Long Beach, as the oil business was established. Some of those homes ended up in a very bad spot since they hadn't looked at any of the natural additions.

Something Oklahomans will have to learn is before you sign on the dotted line, find out about the quake risk in an area. And fault location and how close to sitting on it you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Tulare County, Ca
1,323 posts, read 836,466 times
Reputation: 2566
My house was built in 1873, single wall construction, wood siding....still going strong through many, many earthquakes. With a wood framed/sided home it will swing and sway with an earthquake, but the give and take of the wood as opposed to concrete or block will usually withstand the shaking more. I would think a mobile home left on its wheels would be an advantage in earthquake country. The most you would have to do would be to have it releveled.

As far as moving to California, nightbird, my advice would be to stay where you are if you have a good support system there with friends who will help you in time of need. That's way more important that any location. Friends who care about you are a precious commodity. If you don't feel you are among friends, then by all means move where you'll feel safe and happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 06:39 PM
 
Location: C-U metro
1,368 posts, read 2,811,865 times
Reputation: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Do you know what amazes me about my current area? They are building brand NEW $500,000 houses right where the epicenters usually are, and people are buying the homes!
The local news station actually did a story from the front of one of them. Crazy.
Some people get "house fever" and just have to have it. Shyster developers feed into this by overbuilding the home with all manner of fancy stuff (granite countertops, luxury master suites, hot tub). Its only 6 months later when they realize that they grossly overpaid for the home for any number of reasons like:

1) It's in the flight path of the airport that's been there since the 1920's.
2) It's near an oil production area that can operate 24 hours a day.
3) Its near the gun range and/or police/sheriff/fire training facility.
4) The river/stream nearby floods every 3 to 5 years.
5) The interstate curve/exit built in the 1950s or 1960s has a lot of road noise.
6) The light commercial/industrial area nearby has a lot of semi trucks driving through it.
7) The view you paid for is actually land owned by someone else who is now developing it.

It's the responsibility of the Planning and Zoning boards to help avoid these kinds of scenarios. The issue is that many of them get run by the developer's buddies or become under pressure to approve the plat to generate revenue for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
My house was built in 1873, single wall construction, wood siding....still going strong through many, many earthquakes. With a wood framed/sided home it will swing and sway with an earthquake, but the give and take of the wood as opposed to concrete or block will usually withstand the shaking more. I would think a mobile home left on its wheels would be an advantage in earthquake country. The most you would have to do would be to have it releveled.

As far as moving to California, nightbird, my advice would be to stay where you are if you have a good support system there with friends who will help you in time of need. That's way more important that any location. Friends who care about you are a precious commodity. If you don't feel you are among friends, then by all means move where you'll feel safe and happy.
As far as moving to California, nightbird, my advice would be to stay where you are if you have a good support system there with friends who will help you in time of need. That's way more important that any location. Friends who care about you are a precious commodity. If you don't feel you are among friends, then by all means move where you'll feel safe and happy.[/quote]

The thing is, day to day I'm very comfortable. And I have what I always wanted, my OWN space for me an the four legged kids. And I get to plan the day just for me. I've even learned to not let 'stuff' take over when my mind goes into worry mode. It's those 'if this happen' moments when you have to pull back and say okay, pull back, stow the panic, and at the least, find your options. Then, since they haven't, quit worrying.

I moved to this little town almost ten years ago, and I'm used to it. There are a few real problems, and some still unsolved wishes. But I've learned that 'perfect' isn't likely, and even then, only for a time. I had someone who could give me a ride, but he's in California now after losing his mom.

Every time I get lonely and just want someone *like* me around I think about going back, not yet but 'sometime'. I moved to this little town almost ten years ago and I'm used to it. I had a few friends but they moved a few years after I moved in. But I'm more of a loner, anyway.

The thing about moving *back* is that you have to realize that time moves on and it has there too. It's not going to be the same place. The people you know may have moved on, and even with their circle still gathering, you'll have to mostly start over. And some times you think the comfortable is a place in time which has changed a lot. It was home before, but maybe it isn't now. That's what's scary, ending up back on square one with nothing better.

I wish it was more clearly cut, but it feels like I lose something major whatever I end up doing. I'm not the same person who moved anymore. I have come to very much like how slowly things happen here. Socal everything and everyone is in a hurry. Most of the people I knew well have moved, and even if they haven't they've changed too. It's true you can't go home again, especially if have found ways and things you like in the new one.

Now and then I get reminded that *depending* on someone else is never going to let you feel secure, and I hate that, especially if its involving something important. And then, there's the times I just want to do or go somewhere myself.

I think a lot about this, then its evening and dinner turned out good and the fourlegged crew is behaving and I wonder why I'd even WANT to take the risk of it changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Some people get "house fever" and just have to have it. Shyster developers feed into this by overbuilding the home with all manner of fancy stuff (granite countertops, luxury master suites, hot tub). Its only 6 months later when they realize that they grossly overpaid for the home for any number of reasons like:

1) It's in the flight path of the airport that's been there since the 1920's.
2) It's near an oil production area that can operate 24 hours a day.
3) Its near the gun range and/or police/sheriff/fire training facility.
4) The river/stream nearby floods every 3 to 5 years.
5) The interstate curve/exit built in the 1950s or 1960s has a lot of road noise.
6) The light commercial/industrial area nearby has a lot of semi trucks driving through it.
7) The view you paid for is actually land owned by someone else who is now developing it.

It's the responsibility of the Planning and Zoning boards to help avoid these kinds of scenarios. The issue is that many of them get run by the developer's buddies or become under pressure to approve the plat to generate revenue for the city.
Everyone who decides to go looking for the house of their dreams needs to read this. If its cheap, there is a reason. It may be worse than a few surface fixing up. Do you know if the foundation is about t cave in? Before you go for granite, have the pipes and water flow checked out in the kitchen. Better new pipes then ritzy granite. And DO walk around and look at what's there. Read up on the area. Talk to prosepctive neighbors. Just because the realator showed you the most wonderful house of your dreams, have it checked before anyway, and know how costly those repairs are. And remember the realator makes more if you fall in love with it and you buy and discover your mistake too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,207,281 times
Reputation: 16829
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
My house was built in 1873, single wall construction, wood siding....still going strong through many, many earthquakes. With a wood framed/sided home it will swing and sway with an earthquake, but the give and take of the wood as opposed to concrete or block will usually withstand the shaking more. I would think a mobile home left on its wheels would be an advantage in earthquake country. The most you would have to do would be to have it releveled.

As far as moving to California, nightbird, my advice would be to stay where you are if you have a good support system there with friends who will help you in time of need. That's way more important that any location. Friends who care about you are a precious commodity. If you don't feel you are among friends, then by all means move where you'll feel safe and happy.
It's interesting that houses going on 80 to a hundred can sometimes be a very good idea based on the history of the area and the construction. Even in California, an older home which was solidly built and *has kept up the sturctural system with maintaince and vigelence* is one you'll get damage, but not the full on type seen in poorly built ones, and anything built in the seventies. In the seventies some of the regulations got left aside and some of the higher end houses were built to a lesser standard, so if you lived in one likely you started spending $$$ on fixing things you shouldn't need to after only a few years.

I sure wish I did have some friends around here, but being more a loner type its not terribly bad. The worse was when I lost a couple of the people who live in various states now, but had never stopped talking. And there's this moment when you realize that your parents are gone or have moved to a spot they have retired, and your friends from school have mostly gone off in different directions, and you've lost contact with most. And the people you meet now are not 'different' like you and those friends are. You want to go back to when you'd found your 'real family' and yet know that while you'd fit in, you'd have to start over on some.

Right now with it brrrrrr cold all day and double brrrrrrrr at night, I'm mostly thinking about what I need to order from the store (with the magic of delivery) and the stuff to do which seals up those cold holes as they are now talking days of twenties or below, and a very frigid New Years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,016 posts, read 14,334,567 times
Reputation: 5450
It's interesting the frequency level of earthquakes has dropped to a small level seldom seen since the earthquakes started. Just four for the past week. What else was unusual is that Mother Nature gave a Christmas present of reprieve. No earthquakes happened in Oklahoma between Thurs. Dec. 21 to Tues. Dec. 26. A period that long without earthquakes is also rare. I hope it isn't the calm before the storm:
https://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top