Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times

Advertisements

We went down to Spaulding yesterday for Dizzy Dean Day. Dizzy Dean once lived in Spaulding. We got there too late for the parade, but we saw a lot of good things, and I took a few pics.

Here are some favorites.

Many antique tractors, stationary engines, and old trucks were there for the show. They had a tractor pull. The tractor starts out pulling an empty sled. As the tractor goes forward, more and more big guys get on the sled until the tractor tires begin to spin and the tractor stops.

There were many demonstrations of old time crafts. There was a sawmill, sorghum mill, peanut threshing, hay baling, corn shelling, and broom making. This fellow's dad made brooms, and he inherited the broom making machine from him.

After seeing all that, we were able to grab some lunch and eat in the shade while listening to old time country music and gospel. It was a great day!

Here are all the pics, with some good ones of the tractor pull:
Dizzy Dean Days Spaulding Oklahoma (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11441121@N04/sets/72157602406523163/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:31 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Great pictures peggy. It makes me want to move back to Oklahoma right now. Not that they don't have such things in Texas, but Oklahoma's my home!
Thanks

Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Makes me wish I were in Spaulding that day. Wherever that is.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Makes me wish I were in Spaulding that day. Wherever that is.
Well, jessaka Spaulding is Northeast of Sasakwa, and a good eight or ten miles Northwest of Atwood. There, now you know where Spaulding is!

We used to play Spaulding in basketball when I was in (Allen) HS. I think they were too small to have a football team, but always had a pretty decent basketball team. Sadly, I hear that Allen no longer fields a standard football team; they only play eight man football these days.

We used to have a pretty good football team back in my HS days, although every time we went to the playoffs we'd usually get stomped by Davis. Grrrr..

Yeah, I wish I could have been there too. That broom mill seems interesting, and I always love live music from people just getting together to have fun and enjoy some tunes.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 AM

Hey Peggy, what's the name of that day they have in Wewoka or Weleetka every year that's called "sucker day" or something to that effect? Oh, and I remember one year they had the guy that played Festus Hagin on Gunsmoke as a guest of honor (in Wewoka, I believe). Speaking of Weleetka, those folks always had a really, really good b-ball team..

Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 AM

Haha Synopsis. Those are what I call the W towns. It is easy to get confused about those.

Wetumka has Sucker Day. It is based on a time when a con man came to town promoting a circus that never happened. I hate to criticize, but that festival is not much for anyone who doesn't live in Wetumka. Wetumka has gone downhill for a time, but the Muscogee Nation is putting some new industry and a health center of some kind there soon. I hope that helps turn the town around.

Wewoka has Sorghum Day. It is the best festival around and has big crowds. I am going to make a thread about that festival. It is coming up in 2 weeks I think. I will have to check. I never go to Weleetka. It is not on my way to anywhere.

I really like to go to the festivals. Since we have lived in the area a while, we always see people we know, or make new friends. I like the festival in Spaulding because of all the demonstrations of old farm methods. The music was very good. Another band was playing Jerry Lee Lewis songs.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,888 times
Default Dizzy Dean Festival ?

Hi Peggy,

I grew up in Spaulding. I went to school there until it was closed and students had to transfer to Holdenville. I haven't had a chance to visit in a long time. Is the Dizzy Dean festival always in October? I would like to go back during the festival. It looks like a lot of fun.

Deb

Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Hi ShilohDeb. I think it is always in October. That would be a great time to visit. It is a lot of fun, and the weather is usually nice.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hey Peggy, what's the name of that day they have in Wewoka or Weleetka every year that's called "sucker day" or something to that effect? Oh, and I remember one year they had the guy that played Festus Hagin on Gunsmoke as a guest of honor (in Wewoka, I believe). Speaking of Weleetka, those folks always had a really, really good b-ball team..

Its called sorghum day, u know like the stuff they use to make syrup

Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 805 times
Default Spaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShilohDeb View Post
Hi Peggy,

I grew up in Spaulding. I went to school there until it was closed and students had to transfer to Holdenville. I haven't had a chance to visit in a long time. Is the Dizzy Dean festival always in October? I would like to go back during the festival. It looks like a lot of fun.

Deb
When did you live in Spaulding. I lived there from 58 to 64
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma