Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

A new report on the tv news, with an its okay, you'll be fine. No need to look, or upset yourself....trust us, we know what we're doing....

After the swarm of quakes in Yukon, indisputatedly caused by fraking operations, they've come up with new 'rules'. Its not quite the same as the injection process so they shouldn't be as 'bad'. And if there's any over 3.5 magnitude, they'll have to shut down.

All empty crap. 3.5 can cause damage to your house. It can be very disturbing, when any little shake like feeling makes you nervous. Its NOT okay to be okay to cause ANY quakes. If people wish to pretend it will all be okay, and take their medicine, it does not mean its all right.

First off, they should be required to notify by mail EVERY home and business in the suseptable area that fraking operations will begin in say a month. Anyone who wishes to complain has to be accomidated. If there is anything more than a few, their permission to frak is suspended. Period. Power to the residents and people who pay for it AFTER the money grabbers are done.

What will it take for the people of this state to lose their amnesia and stand up and use the power they hold to fix the problem?

Would the companies be so careless if after a quake they'd owe payment to any resident who either had damage to their homes or to their sense of well being? At the very least, before they can frak again they must pay in full for ever single claim of damage.

The people of Oklahoma need to quit drinking the coolaide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Finally some earthquakes that took place in the OKC metro area. Most of the quakes take place out in very rural areas where very few people sense them. The media ignores those, unless they're stronger than usual.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Finally some earthquakes that took place in the OKC metro area. Most of the quakes take place out in very rural areas where very few people sense them. The media ignores those, unless they're stronger than usual.
In addition to the Towers, which is a residental area, falling apart, when the quake hit Cushing, the downtown is gone. Those businesses which had been there for years closed up rather than have to pay for the damage and reopening. Its a pretty sad place now. The apartments were rebuilt, the rest just sits empty.

Of course, you wouldn't ignore that in OKC. The Big Oil people keep the locals as happy as they can so they can do whatever they want in the rest of the state.

And they wouldn't want the state capital building they're fixing to end up a jumble of brick before they can get to it.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:52 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
"The growing body of evidence tells us that fracking is a danger to our water supply, our most precious resource. It is a danger to the air we breathe. It has resulted in more earthquakes. It is highly explosive. And it is contributing to climate change. (Source)

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c9a175a9e3ba

More Pruitt and Sanders:

Sanders and Pruitt Rumble Over Earthquakes - FactCheck.org

Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
In addition to the Towers, which is a residental area, falling apart, when the quake hit Cushing, the downtown is gone. Those businesses which had been there for years closed up rather than have to pay for the damage and reopening. Its a pretty sad place now. The apartments were rebuilt, the rest just sits empty.

Of course, you wouldn't ignore that in OKC. The Big Oil people keep the locals as happy as they can so they can do whatever they want in the rest of the state.

And they wouldn't want the state capital building they're fixing to end up a jumble of brick before they can get to it.
Big oil should pay to fix the damage in downtown Cushing. Its a drop in the bucket for them but its politics.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Big oil should pay to fix the damage in downtown Cushing. Its a drop in the bucket for them but its politics.
I had to look up the city website to pay my property tax, and they had some stats. Since 2010, and the arrival of all the quakes, Cushing's population has dropped from 10,000, to 8,000. I can't find the figure but the most recent since the bad quake is now in the 7's. I didn't look at the values of real estate, especially homes, but wonder what the value of homes has shrunk since we're trapped by powers that be that don't value the welfare and safety of individuals who are in the way.

I also wonder about sales of homes. They were lower cost than other places before, and now I'm sure its less. Really, would you buy now, especially knowing that it's likely to be worse over better? Yes, its cheap but so is the least expensive on the shelf, but it likely won't last as long as better ones.

I am considering going back to California, (not Riverside, though, unless all the smog has blown away. I value breating). Norcal would also be of interest. I'm sure I could find a place to live, but it wouldn't be like your OWN home. I've had apartments and just 'feel' the people behind the walls and hate the place. But then with the drought, the current fire and the one up in Napa will only be the first. I wonder, are those who came here from California following this fire with sad memories?

Maybe some place off the beaten track up in rural norcal.... It sure is a temptation.

I think there, the fraking causing a quake would lead to some sort of enforced responsibility, and rules. Sometimes you NEED rules and should have them. Fraking is one of them. If a company caused a quake, even a small one, it should pay for the damage. It shouldn't matter which state or area it happens in. Here in OK, its a gee sorry, want some money, and then pennies on the dollar. People don't matter, just greed.

I want the movie theater and the book store back and the little place with rocks (am a major rockhound) and classic household things. I'll always remember, my inlaws visiting and he played one of the origional albums for a gramaphone, asking who knows it was. It was 30's jazz. I knew immediately and it was just such a cool thing.

I'm sure he's gone too. I hope he was able to get his classic stuff out.

Soon I fear Cushing will be fast food, cheap stores, Walmart, pizza places (LOVE Mazzios, they should remain), and unless you work in oil, you have a plan to leave. At the very least, these drilling and oil companies should have to pay out to residents the cost of repairs in full. Of course, when you own the politicians you get your way.

I honestly wonder if the state capital lost to an earthquake, more people would decide that its time to say a firm and meaningful NO, and send a bill.

Last edited by nightbird47; 12-16-2017 at 12:52 AM..

Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
California is way too expensive, and the fires are causing lung problems. Plus they have earthquakes too, but they could have a big one.

I think Wyoming is a beautiful State. I am not sure where I would go if we left Oklahoma. Every place has a problem. I had checked air quality before moving here, and Fayetteville had the best clean air, well, so does Tahlequah. I don't know how close we are to fracking, but I was sitting at my desk on the computer a year or so ago, and I felt the earthquake. I didn't move for a moment as I was in shock as to the fact that we were having one. after that I had my husband cut down our seven foot bookcase so it wouldn't fall on me. haven't felt one since.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
They've been fracking in my area of the country for over 60 years. Here's two great articles on fracking from The Bakersfield Californian newspaper. Bakersfield has the biggest oil fields in California. It explains the whole process from beginning to end. It also tells what the chemicals, or "ingredients" if you will, are used in the process. I don't know about how Oklahoma does it, but in California, they're required to do extensive testing of the ground water both before and after the fracking process. They try do everything they can to prevent groundwater contamination, but I don't know how that's working out.

Anyway, there is now legislation coming up that will severely regulate fracking. Here are two excellent articles on it.

INSIDE FRACKING: Chevron offers rare look at controversial ...

Bakersfield, CA ... Chevron offers rare look at controversial practice BY ... which is why oil wells that undergo fracking are designed to prevent it from ...

Fracking California: The view from Kern County | KALW

Fracking California: ... The Kern River Oil Field in the city of Bakersfield is over 10 thousand ... where most of California's oil production, and fracking, ...

Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
California is way too expensive, and the fires are causing lung problems. Plus they have earthquakes too, but they could have a big one.

I think Wyoming is a beautiful State. I am not sure where I would go if we left Oklahoma. Every place has a problem. I had checked air quality before moving here, and Fayetteville had the best clean air, well, so does Tahlequah. I don't know how close we are to fracking, but I was sitting at my desk on the computer a year or so ago, and I felt the earthquake. I didn't move for a moment as I was in shock as to the fact that we were having one. after that I had my husband cut down our seven foot bookcase so it wouldn't fall on me. haven't felt one since.
That's the quandry. OK isn't exactly working out, but unless I could find a place up in Norcal, where we tried to move before, its city crush and noise and smog. And I hardly ever take anything for allergy here but lived on it in smog filled Riverside, even in the winter. Part of moving was to get away from the smog as I was having real breathing problems.

I don't know if they were fraking, problably were, but the fault likes there were unstable and one of the strongest happened when I was half asleep and upstairs in the apartment. It was shaking so much I just grabbed pillows and rolled up around them, but worried about the windows. I think it was about a 7, and a lot of older buildings did have damage. And Riverside was growing MORE prone... that and the smog insured I was not going to quit until I found a way to move. Alas, here in Cushing I moved before the fraking and quakes, but at least the apartment was build to some degree to withstand quakes.

One thing, if you are getting quakes now, is put up the bookcase again. But physically have it attached TO the wall at the areas where the wall has wood behind it. Things can fall but not the shelf. Your books might, and you can run a railing low on the shelf which will allow you to pull out books but will keep them from tunbling out. Also I look at where furnature is in the bedroom. I make sure nothing if it falls will land on the bed. Dangling lights shouldn't be over the bed. And keep a space which shouldn't be tumbled to get out the door. And make sure glass items on shelves have a railing or don't put them up. A little of the soft puddy under the glass will also keep the glass clean, but keep it from falling. But basically, just walk around and ask if the stuff behind chairs, couches, and tables can come down on the people sitting in them, and if they might, use some means to keep them in place.

This doesn't mean you will have a quake which knocks down stuff, or worse, but that being careful is just as important as making sure that fire sources are kept clear of things to burn.

The last quake we had here were I live did a lot of damage and they did actually suspend or move a lot of the fraking operations. They still do them and we've had a lot more little quakes, but then little is good as it releases pressure. After the last big one destroyed downtown and an apartment building they did add some steps for show. Too bad they didn't feel that the businesses extensively damage which are now gone were not worth it.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
They've been fracking in my area of the country for over 60 years. Here's two great articles on fracking from The Bakersfield Californian newspaper. Bakersfield has the biggest oil fields in California. It explains the whole process from beginning to end. It also tells what the chemicals, or "ingredients" if you will, are used in the process. I don't know about how Oklahoma does it, but in California, they're required to do extensive testing of the ground water both before and after the fracking process. They try do everything they can to prevent groundwater contamination, but I don't know how that's working out.

Anyway, there is now legislation coming up that will severely regulate fracking. Here are two excellent articles on it.

INSIDE FRACKING: Chevron offers rare look at controversial ...

Bakersfield, CA ... Chevron offers rare look at controversial practice BY ... which is why oil wells that undergo fracking are designed to prevent it from ...

Fracking California: The view from Kern County | KALW

Fracking California: ... The Kern River Oil Field in the city of Bakersfield is over 10 thousand ... where most of California's oil production, and fracking, ...
There don't seem to be any rules, or limitations on how the fraking has been done here. They use waste water injection, and found it was excellent at opening up deposits betwen layers of earth and rock. One of the largest quakes we've had was determined to have been specifically cause by that method used near the time of the quake, weakening the layers of strata until they slipped. After that, it was temperarily banned, and they have to study to determine where the danger points were and so on. Unfortunately, the court said the company couldn't be sued.

There has been less, but where I live you'll feel this vibration under your feet, and I wonder if it isn't the small breaks they were using deep, which contributed to the larger quake. But whatever is proposed, OIL comes in and whines that it will decrease production.

Maybe if they risk the people in the area's homes and perhaps injury or death, they should be automatically assigned blame and forced to pay for ALL repars and losses if they brew up a quake.

People complain that California has 'too many rules' but maybe they should look into why the rules are there. This area needs MORE rules....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma