U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 01:56 PM

208 posts, read 825,181 times

Advertisements

I think I might be over stressing myself but do not wish to end up in OK in RV with cats,dog,hubby for great length of time.Was pretty set on Poteau but it is a little far from the VA in Muskogee.George wants at least rolling land,I want rich soil.Were is the richest soil in the SE part of the state? Is it mainly all rock? I am an avid gardener,both vegtables and flowers.George wants fruit tree's.I really would like to narrow my search down a little.Any body know how much it costs to run bob wire a foot (labor and materials).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,127,714 times
We had some 4 strand fence run for $400 per quarter mile lately, labor only.

If you do not need a job, I would just look closer to Muskogee, like Marble City, or Cookson, just for examples. The hills have creeks between them, and the lands are fertile and not so rocky along those bottom lands. You don't want to put a house too close to a creek, of course.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Talking Once again,thank you Peggy

We don't need jobs,we are both disabled vets and just need access to a VA.Gas prices are also motivating us-we can control our shopping trips but not our Dr. visits.George wants to have a little fun and adventure and to see me settled before he get's much worse Today was the first time he ever asked me to mow the garden area with the self propelled lawnmower-he just couldn't do it.His COPD is getting much worse rapidly.This move will probally be George's last-we plan to make it fun and interesting.The man love's animals-if he names it,I can't butcher it.Plan to get him some really silly looking hens and ducks and keep him away from the cattle.I have already named them,one will be "Chuck" and the other will be "Roast". I will HURT the 1st person who offers him a minature horse.I will target that area,my face is already buried in a map. Thank you

Old 03-25-2008, 06:11 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,690,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
I think I might be over stressing myself but do not wish to end up in OK in RV with cats,dog,hubby for great length of time.Was pretty set on Poteau but it is a little far from the VA in Muskogee.George wants at least rolling land,I want rich soil.Were is the richest soil in the SE part of the state? Is it mainly all rock? I am an avid gardener,both vegtables and flowers.George wants fruit tree's.I really would like to narrow my search down a little.Any body know how much it costs to run bob wire a foot (labor and materials).
You are describing Tahlequah. You are also describing me. We needed to be near the VA in Muskogee. I wanted a lush area with a small town and rolling hills. I wanted fruit trees and a garden. I got it all now, even if it is in town. At least it is 1/2 acre and the State said I could plant on their property next door. I planted fruit trees, and they are coming in bloom, one is already. I am getting ready to plant two almond trees as well. I have hickory trees and pecan already.

The soil is rich but lots of small rocks. I would suggest doing a raised garden when it comes to underground veggies. Yet I know of a woman that picked the rocks out of her garden and kept adding mulch so you can go pretty deep in her yard without rocks. They just keep popping up in my yard in spite of the fact that I picked them out after my DH rototilled.

By the way, You may like Wagoner area as well. It is a sweet town with a train that runs through it, and it is close to Muskogee, maybe closer, or even Ft. Gibson.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM

702 posts, read 2,366,776 times
Barbed wire runs around 7 cents/foot. Not sure what you would have to pay to have it installed, it would probably be expensive. Unless of course you hire one of those illegals before they leave the state!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,127,714 times
You have to have a t-post about every 12 feet too.

There is a group of Mennonites that does fencing around here & that is who we used, and I can assure you they are perfectly legal.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Wink doing the math-which I'm bad at

1/4 mile =1320 foot divided by 400.00 labor cost = .3030 cents a foot

.07 cents a ft bobwire x 4 strand=.28 cents a ft.
.59 cents a foot + cost of 110 t posts (1320/12 ft apart)
now I need to know length of T post for 4 strand wire and cost of T post to get total cost per foot for running wire.
The only cost I know here in OR is it cost 7.00 a foot for chain link last year.
I'm a firm believer that good fences make good neighbors and cross fencing makes good farming.
Jessaka,my only fear is that the VA in Muskogee is going to send us to the VA in OKC for specialty clinics like hematology That makes for a long drive,here we have DAV vans that transport to hospitals from differant cities.
George is of the belief that the hilly areas have fewer tornado's won't look at the middle of the state since it is tornado alley and doesn't like red dirt. I am so happy Tenkiller Lake is a clear lake.He's gotten use to clear water here. Thanks y"all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma