Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 AM

8,820 posts, read 15,279,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OK Dept. of Education, you should also be able to pull numbers by name.
This chart is directly from the Dept of Ed's page. I'm seeing a minimum salary of $31,600. You wrote $46k.

http://sde.ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov.s...Schedule_0.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 AM

641 posts, read 1,069,410 times
Half of the teachers in my sons high school are way left radical nut jobs who we would be better off firing anyway. One teacher insisted that we don't know that Hamlet was a male, and had the part played by a girl in class.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:02 AM

24,255 posts, read 10,581,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This chart is directly from the Dept of Ed's page. I'm seeing a minimum salary of $31,600. You wrote $46k.

http://sde.ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov.s...Schedule_0.pdf
Certified Staff Salary Information | Oklahoma State Department of Education
Pull up individual pay plus fringe plus rejected 6100 increase.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:02 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,187,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Half of the teachers in my sons high school are way left radical nut jobs who we would be better off firing anyway. One teacher insisted that we don't know that Hamlet was a male, and had the part played by a girl in class.
But you won't home school him?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM

641 posts, read 1,069,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
But you won't home school him?
Have sure thought about it. There is something to be said for learning to adapt and survive in this new, weird liberal world among people like that. My boys know foolish nonsense when they see it and are not being influenced, quite the opposite.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:33 PM

24,255 posts, read 10,581,371 times
9 hours a week for extra activities - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ok...cid=spartanntp

The gentleman who handles that bit of grass we have spoke with me the other day. He has a new customer who is on fixed income, a retired school teacher in Canadian County on 60k. He gave the retired school teacher a break on his anyway reasonable charge. Turned out to be on of the big real estate developers:>)

Old 04-02-2018, 05:15 PM

24,234 posts, read 13,094,739 times
Quote:
Certified Staff Salary Information | Oklahoma State Department of Education
Pull up individual pay plus fringe plus rejected 6100 increase.
Interesting link. My sister-in-law teaches in the Moore SD and there she is, on a spreadsheet. It's what she said she gets paid, less than $40K annually. My wife is a state employee, too, what's not being said is the value of those fringe benefits... free healthcare, a nice bennie.

My SIL said this weekend that the raise is nice, but there are two problems that really need to be fixed, in her opinion. She doesn't like the administrative bureaucracy layers, with redundant personnel overseeing the school systems. Cut some of them out. (Her opinion isn't alone, she says.)

More importantly, and this HAS to be frustrating for a teacher, whether in Oklahoma of Connecticut or Oregon or anywhere, and she's been talking about this for over a decade: parental support. Or rather, non-support. Every year parents are given a list of supplies they need, some required, some optional. And every year Smedley comes to class with a brand new backpack, an iPhone, a couple USB cables and chargers, and nothing else. When this is pointed out, the answer varies, but the basic response is, "So? You're the teacher, then teach them." Economics, demographics, political affiliation don't matter. I feel for her, it's frustrating to do what she does to be slammed on one side by the state and the other by a fairly significant population of parents, who either don't care, or care too much (i.e. their kid isn't the problem). She knows she can't do much about them. In the end, she spends a lot of time and her own money (almost $1100 last year) fixing the problem. Her thoughts: take half the raise and use it to improve the classrooms and get her the tools she needs, as a primary grade teacher, to do her job.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:41 PM

8,820 posts, read 15,279,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Interesting link. My sister-in-law teaches in the Moore SD and there she is, on a spreadsheet. It's what she said she gets paid, less than $40K annually. My wife is a state employee, too, what's not being said is the value of those fringe benefits... free healthcare, a nice bennie.

My SIL said this weekend that the raise is nice, but there are two problems that really need to be fixed, in her opinion. She doesn't like the administrative bureaucracy layers, with redundant personnel overseeing the school systems. Cut some of them out. (Her opinion isn't alone, she says.)

More importantly, and this HAS to be frustrating for a teacher, whether in Oklahoma of Connecticut or Oregon or anywhere, and she's been talking about this for over a decade: parental support. Or rather, non-support. Every year parents are given a list of supplies they need, some required, some optional. And every year Smedley comes to class with a brand new backpack, an iPhone, a couple USB cables and chargers, and nothing else. When this is pointed out, the answer varies, but the basic response is, "So? You're the teacher, then teach them." Economics, demographics, political affiliation don't matter. I feel for her, it's frustrating to do what she does to be slammed on one side by the state and the other by a fairly significant population of parents, who either don't care, or care too much (i.e. their kid isn't the problem). She knows she can't do much about them. In the end, she spends a lot of time and her own money (almost $1100 last year) fixing the problem. Her thoughts: take half the raise and use it to improve the classrooms and get her the tools she needs, as a primary grade teacher, to do her job.
I have not heard one example of a school district in OK providing “free healthcare”. Here is the chart for Moore:
http://www.mooreschools.com/cms/lib/...OGPremiums.pdf

It’s been said repeatedly that they are in need of funding, not just in the form of a pay raise.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 PM

24,234 posts, read 13,094,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I have not heard one example of a school district in OK providing “free healthcare”. Here is the chart for Moore:
http://www.mooreschools.com/cms/lib/...OGPremiums.pdf

It’s been said repeatedly that they are in need of funding, not just in the form of a pay raise.

I shouldn't have used the term "free". However, there is an allowance for healthcare premiums. My wife uses HealthChoice to supplement my program. The state allows ~$700 a month for premium coverage... go over, and the employee is responsible for the difference. If one is a military or retiree or one has a spouse who already has coverage, then that can be deferred, but the allowance goes back to the state and there is no extra money per paycheck. So use it. That's my case, and my BIL's, but the HealthChoice covers what FEHB or Tri-Care doesn't.

Bold emphasis: My SIL would rather the funds be diverted to textbooks, classrooms, and curriculum improvements.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,102,878 times
Quote:
Considering COL and actual hours worked - 46k minimum is thaaaat bad?
They don't get 46k minimum, here is a chart of Oklahoma teachers wages, the current salary is crossed through and the new salary reflects a 6k annual increase.

A nationally credentialed teacher with 5 years experience is currently getting paid $34,500 a year. That $46,000 figure you're claiming is a minimum is the salary for a teacher with a masters degree and 15 years experience.
By the numbers: Closer look at minimum Oklahoma teacher salary under proposed plan | KFOR.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma