Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:04 PM

24,194 posts, read 10,523,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
That's what I'm saying. So Oklahoma teachers expect to be paid like they live in NY or California? C'mon now, that place is CHEAP

Here's the thing about teaching, and I say that as someone who is one......there's no suprises when it comes to raises and benefits. You know exactly what you will be getting paid year after year (especially with the internet)
Why go through all the schooling, take the job and then whine about pay. So yeah, they can 1) look at a different profession, 2)leave town, 3) If they really feel they are entitled to certain things, make sure the significant other is pulling their weight financially.

ANd for those who don't know,...with the exception of maybe chemistry, and severe special education...most teaching credentials aren't that hard to get. Its mainly just a lot of busy work.
COL is relatively low in OK. Teaching is still a profession being recognized in social circles. Pay scales are public record down to the individual. My grass guy talked to me the other day about a new customer - older gentleman who is barely making it on a 60k pension after teaching for life so he gave him a break in price. Happens to be the biggest land developer in Canadian County:>)

Walking out when testing for school scores is due? Do we know something about potential scores?

Let's not discuss the demand about reinstating capital gains tax as a demand.

Spending 1100 on supplies - there are kids who are needy and there are kids whose parents do not care. Send them to the principal's office. Let them figure our aid or discuss things with parents.

My little town increased sales tax by 1% last year. May sound like nothing but when I figured out what I actually spent in town - ... . The local paper had a front page of the foot ball team with heavy chains around their necks and sledge hammers with the logo Go ... . Not quite my idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:14 PM

42,767 posts, read 26,060,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I just don’t get why it becomes the teachers problem when parents don’t provide the needed supplies! The school should have to do so. If it’s such a big problem then increase the per pupil monies to include supplies. Yes, taxes (homeowner or state) may have to go up, but it’s the school that’s responsible for making sure kids have the needed supplies not the teachers. Your SIL should not have to spend $1100 of her money. When did we start thinking this is ok??
It happens everywhere. I'm in California and when my grandson started kindergarten the teacher handed out a list of supplies that each family had to provide, when I talked to her later she said that about 2/3 of the families provided the supplies so she had purchase the rest. Last week she told me that there were 10 families who did not send in the $11 for a field trip so she had to pay for those kids out of her own pocket. I wrote a check to the school for $50 to offset some of the expense. And this isn't in a poverty stricken area, it's an open enrollment fundamental school and the highest rated elementary school in the area. Lots of BMW's and new SUVs outside the school picking their kids up so I can't explain the lack of involvement.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It happens everywhere. I'm in California and when my grandson started kindergarten the teacher handed out a list of supplies that each family had to provide, when I talked to her later she said that about 2/3 of the families provided the supplies so she had purchase the rest. Last week she told me that there were 10 families who did not send in the $11 for a field trip so she had to pay for those kids out of her own pocket. I wrote a check to the school for $50 to offset some of the expense. And this isn't in a poverty stricken area, it's an open enrollment fundamental school and the highest rated elementary school in the area. Lots of BMW's and new SUVs outside the school picking their kids up so I can't explain the lack of involvement.
Leave the kids at school and they will have their field trip money next time. Cannot do a project due to lack of supplies - failed grade on the report card and parents will notice.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Leave the kids at school and they will have their field trip money next time. Cannot do a project due to lack of supplies - failed grade on the report card and parents will notice.
That's not going to happen so why even offer it as a solution?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,331,282 times
You can have all the nice things like IL., California where I moved from but it will cost you. If your willing to up your property taxes go for it. If your willing to up the State tax keep up the striking. Yes, you can make more money in other States. Our family is from California and the teachers make 3 times as much but their standard of living is lower than ours. My daughter a nurse has been offered more in other states but choses to stay put. If you want more go to the other state otherwise everyone's taxes MUST go up. Personally, if we have money to spend then first raise the police salaries then go down the ladder to nurses, firefighters then teachers. So, they haven't had a raise in 10 years that is BAD but 10 years ago they sure were making good money. I agree they need a raise but after the senate voted on ways to give them money and they still strike I stopped supporting. They say they are doing it for the kids. RIGHT for the kids who are out of school and happy as can be there is no school.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM

997 posts, read 844,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
You can have all the nice things like IL., California where I moved from but it will cost you. If your willing to up your property taxes go for it. If your willing to up the State tax keep up the striking. Yes, you can make more money in other States. Our family is from California and the teachers make 3 times as much but their standard of living is lower than ours. My daughter a nurse has been offered more in other states but choses to stay put. If you want more go to the other state otherwise everyone's taxes MUST go up. Personally, if we have money to spend then first raise the police salaries then go down the ladder to nurses, firefighters then teachers. So, they haven't had a raise in 10 years that is BAD but 10 years ago they sure were making good money. I agree they need a raise but after the senate voted on ways to give them money and they still strike I stopped supporting. They say they are doing it for the kids. RIGHT for the kids who are out of school and happy as can be there is no school.
Meet the Press showed a graph of police vs teacher raises since 2000 in the state of Oklahoma. The police had out paced the teachers by almost 3-1 in percentage. They deserve everything they are willing to risk, to get it!

Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
That's not going to happen so why even offer it as a solution?
And why not?

Old 04-10-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And why not?
Because your "solution" punishes kids, and teachers chose their career because they care about kids - that is why teachers buy supplies and pay fees out of their own pocket because they can't even consider taking the class on a field trip but having the kid whose parents didn't send in the money sit in the office during the event...or watching a kid sit at their desk unable to do the class project because their parents didn't provide the material for it...sitting there being laughed at.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Because your "solution" punishes kids, and teachers chose their career because they care about kids - that is why teachers buy supplies and pay fees out of their own pocket because they can't even consider taking the class on a field trip but having the kid whose parents didn't send in the money sit in the office during the event...or watching a kid sit at their desk unable to do the class project because their parents didn't provide the material for it...sitting there being laughed at.
enabling 101

Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,331,282 times
Nurses chose their career because they care about patients - that is why they buy their supplies too and take out personal insurance because we live in a sue happy nation. They make not much more and work 12 months. They should be first in line for a pay raise. Of course walking out and striking is a death situation so they cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma