Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Stillwater is a lot more expensive for the same sized home, unless you go outside of town which would put you in the same situation. When I was looking at housing to buy that was a big factor in choosing Cushing. I like Stillwater it is big enough to have almost everything a big city would have. It does seem to have very slow traffic most of the time on Perkins Road which is where most of the businesses are located which I have learned to avoid as much as possible. Its the odd thing that Oklahoma roads often do not have a left turn lane even when they really need them. And residential streets are unusually narrow.

Try putting a rideshare ad on Craigslist in Stillwater.

Bingo... or buy a used car and advertise for a driver. Does Cushing have a movie theater , I would just see a movie in Cushing and call it a day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 12:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Bingo... or buy a used car and advertise for a driver. Does Cushing have a movie theater , I would just see a movie in Cushing and call it a day!!!
The Dunkin Theater downtown has been closed since the 5.0 earthquake. It was the only theater. It may reopen. I don't think Cushing will ever appear to have fully recovered from the earthquake until all the traffic lights downtown quit flashing red and return to normal operation. Until that happens, visiting downtown will give you an eerie feeling that something very bad happened, or something isn't right. Thank God, the earthquake frequency has greatly subsided since then. I only sensed several weak earthquakes in 2018.

Cushing Moviegoer Describes What Happened In The Theater During The Quake - News 9

Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:

Cushing no longer has a movie theater. I believe the one that closed is being renovated into something else.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The Dunkin Theater downtown has been closed since the 5.0 earthquake. It was the only theater. It may reopen. I don't think Cushing will ever appear to have fully recovered from the earthquake until all the traffic lights downtown quit flashing red and return to normal operation. Until that happens, visiting downtown will give you an eerie feeling that something very bad happened, or something isn't right. Thank God, the earthquake frequency has greatly subsided since then. I only sensed several weak earthquakes in 2018.

Cushing Moviegoer Describes What Happened In The Theater During The Quake - News 9

Cushing Oklahoma is a hard nut to crack!!--

Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Cushing no longer has a movie theater. I believe the one that closed is being renovated into something else.

That's really sad to hear what are folks supposed to do now?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:13 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
That's really sad to hear what are folks supposed to do now?
Go to AMC in Stillwater.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Go to AMC in Stillwater.

I personally I like Netflix. Its been years since I went to an actual movie theater. But it would be difficult to live a small town without a vehicle to public transportation to a bigger town.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I personally I like Netflix. Its been years since I went to an actual movie theater. But it would be difficult to live a small town without a vehicle to public transportation to a bigger town.
One of the things to consider before you move there.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm not sure I'm ready for school again. And classes cost. I don't think it would be practical for the budget either. If the commuter ran from the south to Stillwater instead of Tulsa, which is north of Tulsa, it might help. I'll just have to find other things to do I guess.

I've never used uber but I *would* try it if it could provide a way up there, but when I loaded it on my phone to check, it showed only ONE driver in Cushing who worked for them.....

It's a choice though, one that won't work out great somewhere and in this case might not work. If maybe I try to get to the convention (science fiction/fantasy) which is held in the late spring, I'll look harder. It was one of the smaller ones but awesome and as fannish as the ones in California.

And I have some new, young furfaces to get acquainted and love, in memory of the older ones who passed onto kitty paradise recently out of old age so the house won't ever seem as lonely as it did when the last of my older kids passed on.

As far as how the different areas of OK, I came knowing it was largely rural. My friend who talked me into moving here grew very ill and I didn't feel really all that welcome with her roomates. But I came knowing that transportation could become a problem and still do not regret the move. Coming from the fast pace and hurry up always of socal, its still a welcome retreat which fits what I wish now much more than my home state.

Here, once in a while dinner out or some kind of neat trip would be welcome, but not too often. Finding some people who are into science fiction fandom or especially filking would be wonderful. People who only sorta speak your 'language' and wouldn't know what any fannish joke was about wouldn't really help. There is ONE reall good convention in okc though and just maybe again....

I think that one thing which makes a move a sucess is when you go *knowing* that it might not be perfect, but you give it a chance and take people at their best behavior and then get used to you and see how well you come to actually mesh. And remember you don't have to be perfect and neither do they.

You have just learned the number one hidden truth to the " El Cheapo Culture ". Low price " Real Estate " is real. cheap for a reason.

I don't see you evér getting any type of transportation out of Cushing to Oklahoma larger cities and towns.However
there are Science Friction Conventions in OKC and Tulsa see the listing below.

A) SoonerCon 28 June 7rh 8th Doors 1:00PM Location Embassy Suites Hilton Norman OK Tickets $30.00 $50.00 $100.00.

B)SoonerCon OKC June 7-9th Loctation 9118 Western Ave Suite B OKC Time 1:00PM

C)SoonerCon Midwest City. June 7-10th 2019 Location. Reed Conferences Center. 5800 Will Roger Road Doors 2:00PM.

D)You missed tulsa ok wizard world convention tulsa convention center sep 7-9 2018.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
When will your son and his family visit you? That will. Give you some drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma