Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

I live in Cushing. I can't drive with an eye which does not focus properly. I'm trying to find a way to make life more interesting, and would love to be able to get to Stillwater now and again. As far as I know there isn't any way which leaves Cushing or gets you home. Does anyone have a suggestion. I tried Uber but there was only one person and they never responded.

Stuff is changing, and if I want to stay or not or what else I'd do is becoming a huge question mark. It wouldn't be often, and I'm mostly a homebody, but not all shopping can be done on line and sometimes you just need to enjoy some fun.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by nightbird47; 07-22-2018 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:09 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Try Google, ask at the mayor's office, check with local churches and schools in Stillwater. I am at the wrong end of OKC to offer you a ride. How about a CD meeting with locals?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I live in Cushing. I can't drive with an eye which does not focus properly. I'm trying to find a way to make life more interesting, and would love to be able to get to Stillwater now and again. As far as I know there isn't any way which leaves Cushing or gets you home. Does anyone have a suggestion. I tried Uber but there was only one person and they never responded.

Stuff is changing, and if I want to stay or not or what else I'd do is becoming a huge question mark. It wouldn't be often, and I'm mostly a homebody, but not all shopping can be done on line and sometimes you just need to enjoy some fun.

Any ideas appreciated.
Greyhound doesn't have a bus that Run From Cushing to Stillwater? I do know that Oklahoma State University has a commuter bus that runs from Tulsa to Stillwater if you would take some classes maybe they could fulfill some of your transportation needs.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Greyhound doesn't have a bus that Run From Cushing to Stillwater?
No, and can't remember back when it did, if ever. Maybe the poster should try again for Uber or Lyft later in August when more OSU students doing that will be in Stillwater. They would surely like the bigger than usual fare.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, and can't remember back when it did, if ever. Maybe the poster should try again for Uber or Lyft later in August when more OSU students doing that will be in Stillwater. They would surely like the bigger than usual fare.

that appears to be the only solution to her problem but it appears that would cost an arm and a leg......

Old 07-31-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Will you do me this one favor , i'm chomping at the bit to find out what the round trip cost is of a uber trip from Cushing to Stillwater Oklahoma is....curious minds would
like to know(?)

Old 07-31-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Will you do me this one favor , i'm chomping at the bit to find out what the round trip cost is of a uber trip from Cushing to Stillwater Oklahoma is....curious minds would
like to know(?)

I'd put uber on my phone, but it turns out there is ONE driiver. He didn't reply. I haven't tried lyft. Maybe we need to bribe someone with a free pizza if they do a two way run. I SO wish I could drive, since I was a good driver until the fix for the the catarack nicked the muscle and it no longer retracts to tell you how far away the car is from yours.

When I lived in Riverside, we had busses. But I got to where I made it a last option because of the brown goop which filled the air. I'd gladly put up with some smog here for a bus run.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'd put uber on my phone, but it turns out there is ONE driiver. He didn't reply. I haven't tried lyft. Maybe we need to bribe someone with a free pizza if they do a two way run. I SO wish I could drive, since I was a good driver until the fix for the the catarack nicked the muscle and it no longer retracts to tell you how far away the car is from yours.

When I lived in Riverside, we had busses. But I got to where I made it a last option because of the brown goop which filled the air. I'd gladly put up with some smog here for a bus run.

When I was down in SoCal\Long Beach California in 1978 , Riverside CA was okay. However in the 1980s 90s and 2000 well that's a different story.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:06 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

You left SoCal to move to inexpensive OK.

I really feel for you about the surgery gone bad. A friend will go through it Thursday. But you are simply out of my "go out of my way" range. Maybe Stillwatertownie has someone.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
When I was down in SoCal\Long Beach California in 1978 , Riverside CA was okay. However in the 1980s 90s and 2000 well that's a different story.

When the area between Riverside and the new housing east got full up of houses and freeways, this basically narrow tunnel of rock, it really trapped the smog. In winter you could see the blue sky. Come later spring it would get a grey caste to it and then in summer the winds blew it all up from the OC as well. It was one of the worse areas for people with breathing problems, with the perfect geology to trap it where it didn't blow. When I moved, it was getting worse, and lots of people were getting the heck out for their health.

When I got to Oklahoma on a visit to a friend, I was amazed at how much you could see, but within a day I could *breath* freely again. When I got home I went to see the doctor, who said I had the breathing of someone twenty years older. So while I had a few issues with OK, breathing was one of the best ones.

Los Angeles was a series of canyons and open valleys and the areas below had creeks and a river back when Mom grew up in North Hollywood, but if you stuff enough people and cars in and area, you get air you can see. I lived on allergey meds as a teen on in the 60's. There's places in OK which are ready and waiting to become smog pits should they every fill tightly with cars and population, and even with wind blasts, the contamination which comes home grown may just hover. In addition to the cost angle, that the quality of the air here, aside from allergy mostly in seasonal bouts, is not likely to follow is a good reaso to stay.

San Bernado with more flat surrounded by mountains and a lot of manufacturing also feeds the whole area and has long had a reputation of being a smog pit at least part of the year.

I read where with all the building and growing population in OKC, they are starting to see measurable rises in smog and I really hope they take the lesson of other places before they get stuck with it too.

Back when socal was becoming the great smog out, everyone noticed and some had to move, but it was just another 'cost' of living in a vibrant place, just as being able to drive to the beach was even if you couldn't stay all day. NObody sat back and looked ahead. But doctors do test you for the strength of your breathing, how efficent or blocked or other bad things it shows. Maybe if you have small kids somewhere else would be better, but smog is an equal opportunity thing where ever you go. If you can see the air, say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma