Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:44 AM

45 posts, read 66,455 times

Advertisements

So I was planning on transferring last semester, but I actually decided to stay in San Diego for one more semester. I am moving at the end of this semester and I think I am going to try and get into OU. I'm really excited and hope I get accepted (I have a 3.7 gpa)! I am just a little worried about location. How is Norman?

How is the food? I'm and international Business major and study Japanese as my language, is there any Japanese population whatsoever there? How is OKC? I'm planning on visiting before I go if I get accepted but just wanted some info! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 03:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,497,798 times
Good Lord, why remotely considering leaving the everyday wonderful weather of San Diego and consider moving to the super BAD weather of Oklahoma?

How is the food? LOL, It's mostly fast food! People fondly wait for the day when In-N-Out Burger finally opens!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:34 AM

45 posts, read 66,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Good Lord, why remotely considering leaving the everyday wonderful weather of San Diego and consider moving to the super BAD weather of Oklahoma?

How is the food? LOL, It's mostly fast food! People fondly wait for the day when In-N-Out Burger finally opens!
Haha, it is a money thing. San Diego is infinitely more expensive. OU seems like a good school and has the exact program I am taking! i'm looking at other places but wanted an idea of what it was like out there

Old 09-16-2018, 10:54 AM

17,639 posts, read 13,462,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
Haha, it is a money thing. San Diego is infinitely more expensive. OU seems like a good school and has the exact program I am taking! i'm looking at other places but wanted an idea of what it was like out there
It would probably be easier (for me) to compare Norman to the other places you are considering. OU will be a more "traditional" midwest/southern university environment than anything in San Diego. However OU has the advantage of being in close proximity to OKC which gives you some more entertainment and food options than some more isolated college towns. But OKC/Norman isn't going to be like San Diego.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
Norman is considered the best college town in Oklahoma, due to its large size and to cover for what it lacks, Oklahoma City is just a fairly short drive away. What else would you want?

No doubt, one of the biggest differences is having to put up with some pretty damned bad weather compared with what you have been spoiled with in California. Believe me, bad weather in Oklahoma never improves to good weather fast enough, despite the saying that goes, "Don't like the weather, wait a minute."

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-16-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 01:45 PM

793 posts, read 1,101,303 times
I graduated in 2015 and loved OU! I miss it quite a bit. Lots of cool, different places to eat.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:13 PM

23,980 posts, read 10,323,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I graduated in 2015 and loved OU! I miss it quite a bit. Lots of cool, different places to eat.
Give me a recommendation for Cowton please - no BBQ. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:10 AM

80 posts, read 65,083 times
Norman is a great college town. It's got a small town feel and everything revolves around OU, but there are plenty of great food and entertainment options to fill the time between studying and working.

OKC is a short drive away and has more food and entertainment than you'll be able to experience in a few years at OU. My wife and I have tried new bars, restaurants, breweries etc. every week for the past few years and we still have a list of places we want to try. The Asian district has dozens restaurants, shops, and a massive super market. There are a bunch of great sushi and ramen places that I'm sure have Japanese owners and patrons that would love to converse with you.

OU is the best of both worlds. You get the traditional college experience with a massive campus in a college town, and you have access to the largest city in the state right up the highway.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 AM

In short, you can't do Oklahoma any better than living in the Oklahoma City area, so don't worry.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,446,190 times
Just get ready for some culture shock as you move to the Southwest/South.

If you come with an open mind and you're ready to meet new people in a new area I think you'll be just fine.

Welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: