Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Most teenagers I know think 25 is starting to get kinda old.
I wouldn't go as far as to say 50 year-olds are young, my sister is 30 and my brother-in-law is 34 so I'm used to "old people"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
Quote:
Well, um, okay.

Actually, that's a good lead-in to the topic I raised when I asked whether anyone wanted to take a guess about what had impressed me about Cali_Okie's earlier post. I was impressed when she said she thought of "young folks" as being in the age range from 13 to 50. I mean, how many teenagers do you know who would go as high as 50 on the age range they considered young? Most teenagers I know think 25 is starting to get kinda old.

One thing for sure, the older you get, the more of life you see, and your perspectives will definitely change, but all those old cliches about staying young as long as you stay young at heart are true! But it really shows some astute understanding of things for someone Cali_Okie's age to catch on to this truth. Way to go Cali_O!
haha thanks ogre..young folks is way above 50 now!! WOOP GO YOUNG FOLKS

Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
You got to watch the lift off live, Ogre? That is so cool. I was looking for a job at the time and was in an office full of people I didn't know. They had a tv on and we watched the lift off. We were all screaming.

It all seems so innocent now.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
the lift off of nasa? that was awful!! i didnt get it first but then it clicked it and it was awful..very sad too

Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Yes, my coach did say that, several times. But it was all in good fun, and the kid who was the object of that mild roasting clearly understood this, and took the ribbing in stride.

Yeah, Cali_Okie, I'd say you definitely qualify as "young folks."

But I'm impressed with something you said here, being the "young folks" that you are.
Quote:
Anyone want to take a guess what Cali_O said here that impresses me so?
It has something to do with perceptions of young and old at different ages.
Cali_Okie wrote:
Quote:
young folks i think is the range between 13-50.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
the lift off of nasa? that was awful!! i didnt get it first but then it clicked it and it was awful..very sad too
I thing your refering to the "Challenger" shuddle explosion.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
haha thanks ogre..young folks is way above 50 now!! WOOP GO YOUNG FOLKS
I have a feeling Cali_Okie realizes that a number of regular users here are 50ish and above. Very diplomatic. And I'm still impressed at your original thought that "young folks" ranged up to 50, C_O. As I said before, seriously, how many 16-year-olds does anyone here know who would consider anything above 25 young?

Okay, Cali_Okie, Nameless, and any other "young folks" on here, do you know who George Burns was? He was an actor and comedian who died just a few years ago. He lived to be at least 100, maybe 101 or 102, not sure of his exact age. He kept performing up until his very last few years. He had a saying which sums up the idea of how Cali_O can be right that "young folks" can go way above 50. When people would say how remarkable it was that this man in his 90's was still performing a stage act, Mr. Burns would observe that, "You can't keep from getting older, but you can keep from getting old!"

Last edited by ogre; 04-11-2008 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM

George Burns (born Nathan Birnbaum January 20, 1896–March 9, 1996) was an Academy Award-winning American comedian, actor and writer.
ended shortly before his death at age 100,
George Burns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Cali_Okie_Girl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mkfarnam:
I thing your refering to the "Challenger" shuddle explosion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mkfarnam points out, you're thinking of a different liftoff Cali_Okie. I wasn't being facetious when I said I would offer something positive as an early memory. The liftoff I saw was very positive. It was the liftoff of Apollo 11. You know, where Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon. That was positive. Really was a thrill to see it in person too.

It was just a matter of lucky timing. My grandparents lived in Florida. We used to visit them every summer. As a kid I was really fanatically enthusiastic about space flight. I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up and the whole bit. When the news came out that the first Moon walk would happen during the summer, about the time my family was usually in Florida anyway, I got excited about the idea of going to see the launch, and kept talking up the idea. Pretty soon my father was like, well, why not? And so we went to see it. Quite a sight to see, I can tell you that.

Last edited by ogre; 04-11-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
George Burns (born Nathan Birnbaum January 20, 1896–March 9, 1996) was an Academy Award-winning American comedian, actor and writer.
ended shortly before his death at age 100,
George Burns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized he had died that long ago. I would've guessed early this decade, but thought it might have been as far back as maybe the late '90's.

So he just barely made it to 100. I bet he was hanging on tenaciously at the end, bound and determined to make it to 100 once he got close! Thanks for the info MK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma