Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM

46 posts, read 141,861 times

Advertisements

I plan on relocating to rural Oklahoma later in the year sometime, but it may be some time before I'm able to. My truck has gotten to the point where it needs frequent work, and, though I do it all myself, I'm not sure it's something I want to keep putting time and the cost of parts into, given the amount of rust it has. Nor is it something I really want to bring south with me.

What I'm really wanting is a '67-'72 Chevy pickup. What I'm wondering is, is there going to be much of a difference between the condition of vehicles from that era in Ok/Tx as say Phoenix, rust-wise? I'm thinking maybe I'll just dump my truck as-is right now, fly out that way for a visit and drive one back. Would it be worth it to go out to Az to get one, and just visit Ok on the way home?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:24 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Hey Grogan,
The vehicles in Oklahoma won't have a lot of rust on them, but there is ice and snow at times as opposed to Phoenix. However, I think you can find a decent vehicle in Oklahoma as compared to snowy Massachusetts.
I remember you from another forum!

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Steve-Grogan-Photograph-C10108405.jpeg (broken link)

Wouldn't you like to have this baby? It's not mine. My father had a 68 chevy with a straight six cylinder; I wish I had that thing.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM

266 posts, read 971,929 times
Just don't keep it uncovered 365 days out of the year. And yeah we get snow and ice, and with those comes salt and sand. Just make sure you wash the salt off I guess.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hey Grogan,
The vehicles in Oklahoma won't have a lot of rust on them, but there is ice and snow at times as opposed to Phoenix. However, I think you can find a decent vehicle in Oklahoma as compared to snowy Massachusetts.
I remember you from another forum!

Sure, I remember!

That's one certainly nice, though I prefer something more stock, myself.

Though prefer this color scheme the most

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM

Ya, I like the stock version better too. I loved that 69 (or was it a 68) chevy my dad had. It was a four speed with a granny gear. You could put that baby in first gear and it would climb a mountain without even putting your foot on the gas. And that straight 6 was plenty powerful. I remember in 1978, 10 years after it was made it only had 50,000 miles on it. After my dad passed away, my brother got the truck and sold it for 600 dollars! I could've killed him!

BTW, welcome to Oklahoma when you get here!! You'll fit in just fine!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
BTW, welcome to Oklahoma when you get here!! You'll fit in just fine!
Thanks!! Can't wait! I'm just waiting on some property to sell. Whenever it is, it won't be soon enough!

That's sure a shame, 'bout your dad's truck. I think a lot of us have regrets like that, and especially about vehicles.

I had an old Landcruiser FJ60 geared like that. Rust ended up killing it. It's bad up here.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I hope you like it here in Oklahoma. Trust me, we have plenty to offer, just have to know where and how to look.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks, TU.

I'm all about the outdoors, and sounds to be a great area for that. I fish pretty much daily, and it'll sure be nice to have access to the water for more than 8 months or less out of the year.

I also love the idea of the amount of personal freedom one has out there. I plan to buy myself a little acreage somewhere, to build myself something modest upon, maybe have a few animals. Being able to do this without a ridiculous amount of regulations, and a mountain of permits, is worth the move alone!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM

The lakes are amazing. NE/Eastern OK is where you want to go for fishing. That's where all the big lakes are. Grand Lake, Eufala, Fort Gibson, Oologah Lake.. All great places and those are the lakes that I go to. But I live in Tulsa so all those lakes are also within a reasonable distance for a weekend trip.

You'll have a lot of fun if you're an outdoors guy, like I said, just gotta know where to go.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan14 View Post
Thanks, TU.

I'm all about the outdoors, and sounds to be a great area for that. I fish pretty much daily, and it'll sure be nice to have access to the water for more than 8 months or less out of the year.

I also love the idea of the amount of personal freedom one has out there. I plan to buy myself a little acreage somewhere, to build myself something modest upon, maybe have a few animals. Being able to do this without a ridiculous amount of regulations, and a mountain of permits, is worth the move alone!

Fishing permits are cheap in Oklahoma; even for out of state permits.

fishing

Fishing License
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma