U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 PM
 
1 posts, read 706 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I was sitting and this restaurant came up I went to when I was younger called Po Folks. The thing I remember is their good fried chicken they served on Sundays and their homemade buttermilk biscuits. I think on Sundays, they had All You Can Eat fried chicken. Don't remember the actual dates, but it may have been in the late 80's to the early or mid 90's it was open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
8,291 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Reputation: 7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry405 View Post
I was sitting and this restaurant came up I went to when I was younger called Po Folks. The thing I remember is their good fried chicken they served on Sundays and their homemade buttermilk biscuits. I think on Sundays, they had All You Can Eat fried chicken. Don't remember the actual dates, but it may have been in the late 80's to the early or mid 90's it was open.
I remember it from the early '80s. I specifically remember going there around 1984 with some friends. I think that spot is a gym now. I believe it was in what's called Lindsey Square.

I think Po Folks was actually a chain of some sort that never got that big and didn't last that long.

There was a place across the parking lot to the west that I loved called Oklahoma Cafe that went out in the mid '80s.

We used to have a joke in Norman about new Norman restaurants back in those days that went something like "we better hurry up and eat there before they close down."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
18,123 posts, read 8,148,453 times
Reputation: 7672
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I remember it from the early '80s. I specifically remember going there around 1984 with some friends. I think that spot is a gym now. I believe it was in what's called Lindsey Square.

I think Po Folks was actually a chain of some sort that never got that big and didn't last that long.

There was a place across the parking lot to the west that I loved called Oklahoma Cafe that went out in the mid '80s.

We used to have a joke in Norman about new Norman restaurants back in those days that went something like "we better hurry up and eat there before they close down."

It was a South Carolina chain that folded the late 80s and only a few remain in the Deep South. There was one in Alexandria, LA when I was stationed there in the late 80s and I remember at least one in Tucson; after the bankruptcy around 1992 they were gone.

It was named after a song by country singer Bill Anderson; according to web articles, he and Conway Twitty bought a franchise in OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2019, 03:28 PM
 
798 posts, read 1,249,263 times
Reputation: 463
I remember Po Folks very well, loved them. There were lots of them in the Atlanta area in the 80's-early 90's. As was mentioned, only a handful remain, mostly in Florida and, I think, Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
8,291 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Reputation: 7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It was a South Carolina chain that folded the late 80s and only a few remain in the Deep South. There was one in Alexandria, LA when I was stationed there in the late 80s and I remember at least one in Tucson; after the bankruptcy around 1992 they were gone.

It was named after a song by country singer Bill Anderson; according to web articles, he and Conway Twitty bought a franchise in OKC.

It's interesting because Conway Twitty lived in Norman in the late 1960s/70s and then later had a lake house at Lake Eufaula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 03:30 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
Reputation: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry405 View Post
I was sitting and this restaurant came up I went to when I was younger called Po Folks. The thing I remember is their good fried chicken they served on Sundays and their homemade buttermilk biscuits. I think on Sundays, they had All You Can Eat fried chicken. Don't remember the actual dates, but it may have been in the late 80's to the early or mid 90's it was open.

Absolutely.

They served biscuits with molasses, just wonderful.

Also, if you had to wait, which that particular one in Norman you did, you could enjoy an RC and a Moonpie before getting a table.

Great homestyle food. Typical Okie/Southern fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 PM
 
204 posts, read 299,643 times
Reputation: 146
I remember being in Mississippi at this happened at the po folks there

https://amp-clarionledger-com.cdn.am...2F725260001%2F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,821 posts, read 1,505,763 times
Reputation: 2321
Used to eat at Po Folks fairly regularly. They are still around, but it appears that their only remaining locations are in Florida and Alabama.

Po Folks locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Clarksville, TN
713 posts, read 2,492,648 times
Reputation: 472
I ate at one in Sacramento, California when I lived there (in the 70's early 80's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2019, 07:46 PM
 
Location: South of KC
28 posts, read 52,074 times
Reputation: 19
There used to be one in south Kansas City sometime in the early 80's. Do remember the fried chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top