Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 PM

388 posts, read 327,362 times

Advertisements

Out here in western America we are spoiled on the little extras we often get when renting an apartment.

I have been looking at apartments in Indiana, Oklahoma and Missouri.

According to my Google studies, the Heartland states and some southern states tend to offer the lowest rents nationwide. The cheapest states are Kansas, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Georgia and Missouri.

There is a reason, however. These states are prone to tornadoes, high winds, dust,erosion, hurricanes, and/r flood zones.

It is easy to find one or sometimes 2BR apartments for $500 and under.

I just secured a 700 sq. foot 1BR apartment for $450.mo in Lawton, OK. The lady on the telephone said the complex was early 1070's and entirely renovated inside the units.

The cheesy thing is my new 1BR unit will have no dishwasher and none of the units have outdoor patios on the ground level. I would have to rent a 2BR 800 SQ FT unit at $535/mo. to get the convenience of a dishwasher.

I don't know what Oklahoma and Indiana have against patios. Don't apartment dwellers in the mid-west enjoy private outdoor space? I know houses in the South stereotypical have front porches.

Looking in apartments.com at $500 max rent, I could not find one apartment in the state of Oklahoma that had a patio at ground level. I found one in Indiana but the patio was not covered. It seems you have to rent expensive apartments in the mid-west to get a nice covered back patio or large covered back porch on the units.

In both California and Idaho where I now live, covered patios on ground level apartments are quite common. The upper levers have covered balconies.

The lease woman in Oklahoma does not want me to use a portable dishwasher because "they include water costs in the rent". I have to pay for electricity: thy cover water, serer and trash. The apartment in Lawton is advertised as having WiFi but I don't know if its a shared WiFi hot spot for the complex or if each tent had to pay extra for Internet access outside of the rent cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 06:05 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I am not sure what you get where in CA for 450/month.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:26 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
You want cheap but complain when cheap doesn't have amenities that more expensive units offer. Maybe it's not just the units that are cheap.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
You want cheap but complain when cheap doesn't have amenities that more expensive units offer. Maybe it's not just the units that are cheap.
So, what's the least I should expect to pay for a bottom 1 BR apartment with both covered patio and dishwasher in any of the 50 states?

I know you can't get any 1 BR apartment in Boise, ID for under $650.

The main amenity is living "roommate free" on a budget.

In Boise, ID I NOW pay $544/mo. for one room in a 2BR unit with shared common areas and everything is included in the $544 price:

1. large covered large patio
2. dishwasher
3. air conditioning, Motel-6 style
4. all utilities including electric, Internet and cable
5. a ROOMMATE! YUK!
6. stained concrete floors

I will be moving in to a $450 unit in Lawton, OK

and be losing:

1. a dishwasher
2. private covered patio
3. a roommate, YES!!

and gaining:

4. a separate electric bill, YUK!
5. a George Foreman grill to help run up that electric bill because there is no covered patio to sue my Weber gas grill

and keeping:

6. air conditioning, Motel 6 style
7. my own assigned parking space

Fair compromise to go from Idaho or California to a Heartland state?

Aside from the "get what you pay for" saying, I strive to get the very most for my housing dollar.

Can you get a better apartment for $450/month where you live?

Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
So, what's the least I should expect to pay for a bottom 1 BR apartment with both covered patio and dishwasher in any of the 50 states?

I know you can't get any 1 BR apartment in Boise, ID for under $650.

The main amenity is living "roommate free" on a budget.

In Boise, ID I NOW pay $544/mo. for one room in a 2BR unit with shared common areas and everything is included in the $544 price:

1. large covered large patio
2. dishwasher
3. air conditioning, Motel-6 style
4. all utilities including electric, Internet and cable
5. a ROOMMATE! YUK!
6. stained concrete floors

I will be moving in to a $450 unit in Lawton, OK

and be losing:

1. a dishwasher
2. private covered patio
3. a roommate, YES!!

and gaining:

4. a separate electric bill, YUK!
5. a George Foreman grill to help run up that electric bill because there is no covered patio to sue my Weber gas grill

and keeping:

6. air conditioning, Motel 6 style
7. my own assigned parking space

Fair compromise to go from Idaho or California to a Heartland state?

Aside from the "get what you pay for" saying, I strive to get the very most for my housing dollar.

Can you get a better apartment for $450/month where you live?

The price of apartments are driven by location , location , location........

Old 05-01-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The price of apartments are driven by location , location , location........
Exactly, most people don't want to live in Oklahoma (with the wind, the dust, the tornadoes, the federal building bombing of 1995, the flash floods, the boredom of the flat-open prairies, the toll roads and no sandy beaches to go to) but some people, the poor like me, have no choice, thus the relatively-cheap humble (minimalist) apartments there. The meager Oklahoma market can't bear California apartment rent rates. Farmers left the dust bowl of Sooner to California in the 1930's for a reason. Now CA high prices and liberal gun-grabbing politics are driving Americans eastward again.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 05-01-2019 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
You forgot rain, hail, bad infrastructure, limited social services, pick up trucks, wild fires, open carry and worst of all locals and all their weird habits. OK may not be right. Try DFW.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You forgot rain, hail, bad infrastructure, limited social services, pick up trucks, wild fires, open carry and worst of all locals and all their weird habits. OK may not be right. Try DFW.
I was stationed at Fort Sill army post 1989-1991 as a soldier. I rode my bicycle all through that town. I feared nothing then. i bought a new car in that town. Was treated right at the dealer. I purchased a handgun in that town even. Never a tornado or bad storm. severe wind chill factor winter of 1990. I am pro-gun and that OK is now a Constitution Carry state will make me feel safer.

The military is right next door to Lawton (90 miles south of OKC) so I am safe from the Commie hordes. i have driven to DFW in my car and have changed planes out of it many a time while in the service. Might be more expensive than OK for rent. I have nothing against pickup trucks as I've owned many myself. I like hunting and shooting and my gun rights. The Sooner people aren't too hickish like the Deep South.

I've lived in California lost of my life and I am glad to leave it for good.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:39 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
I was stationed at Fort Sill army post 1989-1991 as a soldier. I rode my bicycle all through that town. I feared nothing then. i bought a new car in that town. Was treated right at the dealer. I purchased a handgun in that town even. Never a tornado or bad storm. severe wind chill factor winter of 1990. I am pro-gun and that OK is now a Constitution Carry state will make me feel safer.

The military is right next door to Lawton (90 miles south of OKC) so I am safe from the Commie hordes. i have driven to DFW in my car and have changed planes out of it many a time while in the service. Might be more expensive than OK for rent. I have nothing against pickup trucks as I've owned many myself. I like hunting and shooting and my gun rights. The Sooner people aren't too hickish like the Deep South.

I've lived in California lost of my life and I am glad to leave it for good.

Oklahoma is alright so stick around................

I just might come down and visit Lawton Oklahoma for the first time in my life , on my Oklahoma vacation 2019 the month of October.......

Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Oklahoma is alright so stick around................

I just might come down and visit Lawton Oklahoma for the first time in my life , on my Oklahoma vacation 2019 the month of October.......
A lot of people come down this way to drive to the top of Mount Scott in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. The road to the top is closed right now to vehicles but can still be walked or biked. It may reopen by October. And Meers Store is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, cash-only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma