Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times

Advertisements

Are the income taxes and sales taxes on groceries really a big deal or something you find cost prohibitive? Or does the fact that OK property taxes are lower than TX make it worthwhile?

I'm considering a move to OK from TX. I'm very familiar with OK and have several friends in OKC and TUL and have traveled to both cities to work when I was a defense contractor. I've spent a lot of my working years in non-income tax states (WA, TX, FL), and I've spent most of my adult-working life in TX. I'm currently in San Antonio, and although it's a nice enough city, I am not a big city person and would like something more manageable and less hectic.

It goes without saying that the property taxes here are insane. Yes, most Texans will offset that by saying we have no income tax, but neither does TN and their property taxes are low. They do have a higher sales tax and they tax groceries, but to me a consumption tax hits everyone, so it makes more sense.

Anyway, back to the change from TX to OK taxwise, (I'm not worried about cultural differences), is it a big deal? Are you worse off financially?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Don't overlook insurance as part of the cost of living in Oklahoma. Insurance on home and car have been going up for a long time.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
It depends on what you are looking for.
Breaking even - it depends on your tax bracket
Real estate - 2/3 house, 1/3 property, purchase the same, taxes 1/3
Groceries - as long as you can do without fresh vegetables/fruit you have a chance. Fast food all over. What I call clover leaves - start ups with fanfare, little on the plate and actually nothing new - have at it. Beef tenderloin was 21/pound today. At least now you can up wine and most beer at non regulated stores. We used to do booze runs to TX
Insurance - not much different, car tags are cheaper after you get through the maze of drivers license and initial registration
Utilities - seem to be cheaper
Gas - SO says it is cheaper
Hunting/fishing - who you know or it gets expensive.

We moved because it simply got to crowded in Tarrant County, TX. Now rabbit warrens of starter homes are popping up in OK. Kansas?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Stay well away from the big urban metro areas and the cost of living will greatly fall. Example:

Cost of Living Index
Oklahoma City: 91.5
Altus, OK: 72
National average: 100

Since your house will be worth less, so will your property taxes be less.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Stay well away from the big urban metro areas and the cost of living will greatly fall. Example:

Cost of Living Index
Oklahoma City: 91.5
Altus, OK: 72
National average: 100

Since your house will be worth less, so will your property taxes be less.
And then you are in the Oklahoma Outback as soon as a cog in the wheels goes out. How is employment, healthcare, infrastructure, education and basic needs such as grocery stores doing in Altus?

I love those indexes; especially the ones I can compare and chuckle about

Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And then you are in the Oklahoma Outback as soon as a cog in the wheels goes out. How is employment, healthcare, infrastructure, education and basic needs such as grocery stores doing in Altus?

I love those indexes; especially the ones I can compare and chuckle about
I've been there before. Besides Wal-Mart, there are several other grocery stores. If you need other stores and services not available, then a much bigger town, Lawton, is a little more than an hour away. The countryside outside of Altus has rocky hills, a few cotton fields and some mesquite trees. There is also a nice lake if the level isn't down from a drought.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I've been there before. Besides Wal-Mart, there are several other grocery stores. If you need other stores and services not available, then a much bigger town, Lawton, is a little more than an hour away. The countryside outside of Altus has rocky hills, a few cotton fields and some mesquite trees. There is also a nice lake if the level isn't down from a drought.
So - you are an hour from a military installation. Rocky hills, a few cotton fields and mesquite trees do not feed a family. Where is an outsider supposed find gainful employment not 15/hr job?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM

241 posts, read 431,739 times
Quote:
So - you are an hour from a military installation. Rocky hills, a few cotton fields and mesquite trees do not feed a family. Where is an outsider supposed find gainful employment not 15/hr job?
Lawton is a town not a military installation.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I guess at Altus Air Force Base.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
I guess at Altus Air Force Base.
I LOL'd..............

I figured if anybody knew one single thing about Altus........ it would be that there was an AFB there.

It's also important to know that they have a Whataburger there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma