U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 AM

656 posts, read 236,036 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all (did I use that right? )

I'm moving to Stillwater soon and some questions about lakes. I lived in Florida for a year and didn't go near lakes because of alligators and also water moccasins.

I know Oklahoma lakes also have some threats, like water moccasins.

Anything else I need to worry about? I don't really plan to swim in the lakes, mostly Stand-Up Paddleboard. I may also take my dog to the lake once in a while to frolic, and don't want him to get bit.

The nearest lake is Carl Blackwell.

Can anyone give me details on this? What's the risk? Are there other creatures to worry about? I know in Florida people had said water moccasins might actually come up onto your paddleboard so...

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 01:15 PM

8,291 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Hi Y'all (did I use that right? )

I'm moving to Stillwater soon and some questions about lakes. I lived in Florida for a year and didn't go near lakes because of alligators and also water moccasins.

I know Oklahoma lakes also have some threats, like water moccasins.

Anything else I need to worry about? I don't really plan to swim in the lakes, mostly Stand-Up Paddleboard. I may also take my dog to the lake once in a while to frolic, and don't want him to get bit.

The nearest lake is Carl Blackwell.

Can anyone give me details on this? What's the risk? Are there other creatures to worry about? I know in Florida people had said water moccasins might actually come up onto your paddleboard so...

Thanks,
There are effectively no water moccasins in lakes around Stillwater. Have to go to SE Oklahoma if you want those. No worries about any water activities except for non venomous water snakes.

Copperheads can be aquatic but Stillwater lakes are just on the edge of their habitat. Probably not very many around to worry about.

http://www.247wildlife.com/copperhea...ttonmouth.html

Here is a list of the reptiles of Payne County.

https://www.inaturalist.org/check_li...ic_taxon=26036

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-30-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 10:03 PM

Thanks eddie gein, good to know. Seems I was worried for nothing

Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 PM

18,031 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Welcome to Stillwater. Hopefully, the unusual flooding that just receded won't return.

It's considerably smaller, but Boomer Lake is where it's at within Stillwater for water. The lake attracts many Canadian geese, so the only wild life hazard there is to avoid stepping on their poop left on the sidewalk, which goes around the lake for a bit over 3 miles. The geese love the lake so much that they are currently having lots of babies. It makes for some real cute sights. For fun at the lake you can rent a kayak. I don't see stand up paddle boards. Swimming not permitted. The lake is popular for walking dogs around it.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 AM

Man my dog would go nuts with all the geese... Actually, he might not. I was at a park once and there were a bunch of geese and he didn't seem to care. I was going to ask about getting in the water. Sounds like it's not allowed. I mostly stay up on the board anyways.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,974,233 times
My Uncle used to tell me the catfish at the dam at Beaver's Bend were as large as a small car. Most likely a tad of an exaggeration! ...no, but seriously, some of these Noodlers can pull in some hogs.

The Alligator Snappers can get pretty dang large...suggestion that you don't do any skinny-dippin' in Okie rivers or lakes.

You may have to watch out for one of these guys. They can get kinda large. Oklahoma Alligator Gar.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:05 PM

Here it is...

https://www.newsweek.com/huge-prehis...texoma-1403492

Old 06-02-2019, 01:35 PM

8,291 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
My Uncle used to tell me the catfish at the dam at Beaver's Bend were as large as a small car. Most likely a tad of an exaggeration! ...no, but seriously, some of these Noodlers can pull in some hogs.

The Alligator Snappers can get pretty dang large...suggestion that you don't do any skinny-dippin' in Okie rivers or lakes.

You may have to watch out for one of these guys. They can get kinda large. Oklahoma Alligator Gar.
The gar is not an aggressive fish. Don't scare the poor guy away.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Old 06-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The gar is not an aggressive fish. Don't scare the poor guy away.

Tell that to all the catfish they're gobbling up! I always celebrate a bit when I see one of my friends snag one with a boat bow & arrow. That's more actual fish I want to catch available to me.

I think I already scared him away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or