Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 AM

388 posts, read 320,643 times

Advertisements

I just spent over $2,000 in my bank account just to move here.
I moved in from Boise, ID where "roommate-free" apartment rent is getting too damn expensive. I'm age 55, an American veteran, and get a little VA Pension for disabilities to to live on at $1,127/mo. I get $15 in SNAP also.

It was my anticipation that I would get a decent apartment cheap on account of this state's being a crappy place on the map weather-wise and most Americans don't want to live here in the Heartland States and that since apartments here are cheap, electricity and everything else on the local economy should also be cheap. My last PSO bill was over $94!! My fuel consumption for just 733 kwh WAS UNDER $27!! The bastards at PSO (Piece of Sh_t Operations) hit me for over $58 just for the lousy "SERVICE" charge.

I thought the whole Oklahoma cost of living would be on a sliding scale, cheap housing must mean cheap everything else. Housing is the single greatest monthly expense for renters.

I thought Mother Nature with the horrible weather of Tornado Alley would drive the price of everything down into the ground. I thought my only consolation to live in Oklahoma would be putting up with sh_tty weather.

I've had no trouble at all getting a driver license in a number of other states but the bastards at Public Safety in Comanche County won't issue me an Oakie license because I have a name different on my out-of-state license that what is on my birth certificate. I have notarized document attached to my BC that every other state will accept except Sooner. Oklahoma is Sooner State because the sooner people can afford to get out of here the better.

I can't afford to keep moving forever.

Yes, I totally underestimated OK before trucking my rented moving van in here.

Now, it's true that gasoline is quite "cheap" here now at only $2.15 a gallon.
But being a poor man not working, I don't have to drive much anyway and I get travel pay from the VA for medical appointments.

So, here's my compromise to get to be roommate-free as a poor American in Lawton, OK:

1. a slum-lord apartment complex, LaneStone at 4733 NW Motif Manor, in such a slummish neighborhood
2. crappy weather
3. crabby local taxi companies
4. fat-ass electric bills
5. rotten weather.... the threat of tornadoes, flash floods and nasty summer humidity
6. local streets and infrastructure that's totally broke-dick
7. a bunch of bible-thumping buffoons who vote Republican
8. crappy grocery shopping choices: an utter lack of a warehouse supermarket like WinCo

If you can think of a NICER place on the map of the United States of America for a poor person, age 55+, to get a clean-and-well-maintained 1-br apartment in a decent neighborhood for $420/month, please let me know.

A poor person is going to have it crappy everywhere.

The conspiracy for POOR Americans is not to find the "nicest place" he/she can afford, but the "least crappy" place he/she can afford.

I'm not living in Hooverville but a Trumpville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM

317 posts, read 370,177 times
Come to San Francisco - the city by the bay. Lots of homeless to keep you company but liberal policies. BTW Salina Kansas or Fort Smith are cheap, cheap cheap - just got back from cross country trip and amazed at low prices.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Come to San Francisco - the city by the bay. Lots of homeless to keep you company but liberal policies. BTW Salina Kansas or Fort Smith are cheap, cheap cheap - just got back from cross country trip and amazed at low prices.
I want the best DEAL on a place to live on American soil as a POOR American citizen but not to live in a homeless situation or as a vagrant. I certainly don't want to commit a crime to live on the taxpayer dime in jail.

I want the BEST legal residence and neighborhood on American soil fit and habitable for free law-abiding human beings I can afford and in a local economy that is sustainable for my income level.

Fort Smith is in Arkansas and that state has no "warranty of habitability" laws to protect tenants from unscrupulous landlords.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM

29,751 posts, read 18,615,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
I moved in from Boise, ID where "roommate-free" apartment rent is getting too damn expensive. I'm age 55, an American veteran, and get a little VA Pension for disabilities to to live on at $1,127/mo. I get $15 in SNAP also.

It was my anticipation that I would get a decent apartment cheap on account of this state's being a crappy place on the map weather-wise and most Americans don't want to live here in the Heartland States and that since apartments here are cheap, electricity and everything else on the local economy should also be cheap. My last PSO bill was over $94!! My fuel consumption for just 733 kwh WAS UNDER $27!! The bastards at PSO (Piece of Sh_t Operations) hit me for over $58 just for the lousy "SERVICE" charge.

I thought the whole Oklahoma cost of living would be on a sliding scale, cheap housing must mean cheap everything else. Housing is the single greatest monthly expense for renters.

I thought Mother Nature with the horrible weather of Tornado Alley would drive the price of everything down into the ground. I thought my only consolation to live in Oklahoma would be putting up with sh_tty weather.

I've had no trouble at all getting a driver license in a number of other states but the bastards at Public Safety in Comanche County won't issue me an Oakie license because I have a name different on my out-of-state license that what is on my birth certificate. I have notarized document attached to my BC that every other state will accept except Sooner. Oklahoma is Sooner State because the sooner people can afford to get out of here the better.

But being a poor man not working, I don't have to drive much anyway and I get travel pay from the VA for medical appointments.

So, here's my compromise to get to be roommate-free as a poor American in Lawton, OK:

1. a slum-lord apartment complex, LaneStone at 4733 NW Motif Manor, in such a slummish neighborhood
2. crappy weather
5. rotten weather.... the threat of tornadoes, flash floods and nasty summer humidity
8. crappy grocery shopping choices: an utter lack of a warehouse supermarket like WinCo

If you can think of a NICER place on the map of the United States of America for a poor person, age 55+, to get a clean-and-well-maintained 1-br apartment in a decent neighborhood for $420/month, please let me know.

The conspiracy for POOR Americans is not to find the "nicest place" he/she can afford, but the "least crappy" place he/she can afford.

Wow, so hard to google search and learn that Okalhoma is Republican, weather is crappy, they get tornados, and $420/mo gets you a subpar apartment....easier to move a thousand miles and find out yourself.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:52 PM

24,165 posts, read 13,012,472 times
Sorry OP that this area is not for you. I live nearby and while it's not Nirvana, it's better than some places I have lived (Southern California [taxes, crime, didn't like being able to see my air] and Alamogordo, NM, for example).

A place I really liked when I lived there was Alexandria-Pineville, LA. No, it won't pass your "warranty of habitability" requirement, nor will it pass your low humidity test. I'm not sure if there's anyplace affordable with all the requirements listed above that's affordable; one of the benefits of big city living is access to good things, but at a price. Or there are cheap places but they lack infrastructure.

Currently in Pineville the place I rented from, albeit a couple decades ago when I was stationed at nearby England AFB, Tanglewood Terrace at the intersection of US 71 (Shreveport Highway) and US 165 (Monroe Highway) offers one BR places for $550. It's 3/4 of a mile from a huge VA center that my wife and I would run to along 71 as a turnaround almost every day. They were new when I was there, hopefully they've undergone renovations. CLECO bills back then were ~$40 a month.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Wow, so hard to google search and learn that Okalhoma is Republican, weather is crappy, they get tornados, and $420/mo gets you a subpar apartment....easier to move a thousand miles and find out yourself.
Actually closer to $1,500 miles from Boise, ID.

I figured any place that I can afford an apartment to myself roommate-free can't be any worse than Oklahoma already is.

Oklahoma also meets the requirement that I live at low altitude for my asthma and that it have at least a VA clinic in town. Lawton is about 1,100 feet above mean sea level. Bosie was too high at about 2,750. So, I have to live low but cheap but not so low I drown in a flood.

The poor have few options.

I don't know if I would not think Wichita, Kansas so crappy if I were to move there. Wichita has the nation's lowest median rent according to Google.
Kansas seems much more tornado-prone than Lawton, OK. OKC metro is a bad tornado trap too. Lawton, for all its ghetto-ness, does have a good record for deadly tornadoes' which are thankfully rather rare here.

I think the way people look, dress, talk and act nowadays makes America as a whole look slummish. It's not that Lawton is naturally horrible, the governments and the class of people that affect it is what mostly makes it a bum place to live.

The trouble with me is that I'm much too fancy a person for my own bank account. I was raised in white middle-class California communities around San Francisco from 1965 through the early 1980's. I was raised in NorCal counties what are now opulent Marin and San Mateo. Things in the SF bay weren't' so opponent in 1974, however. Children could get admitted to the Exploratorium in San Francisco's for just one dollar in 1974. This was before the Asian bankers came in and ran a monopoly on the state and its real estate. I'm old enough to know when CA was not sky-high for cost of living at all. Age 55.

Aside from the astronomical cost of living these days, horrible traffic jams and the Communistic anti-gun politics, the San Francisco metro area has the nicest natural qualities for living. It's what I know and grew up in. Deadly earthquakes are still quite rare in SF. Deadly tornadoes are much more common around Oklahoma City.

I love the SF area weather and the Climate Best By Government Test of the Peninsula.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 06-18-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM

120 posts, read 64,309 times
You forgot to mention the mullets everywhere.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 PM

17,606 posts, read 13,425,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
You forgot to mention the mullets everywhere.
I smell Texan. Gotta get out the Fabreze.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:08 PM

4,324 posts, read 4,266,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post

2. crappy weather

Cry me a river.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,472,899 times
The skyrocketing cost of car and home insurance cancels out some of the low cost of living in Oklahoma.

At least the poster isn't in an earthquake prone part of Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma