Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times

Advertisements

My son finished school and I'm looking for a place to retire. My parents met in Guthrie and both sets of grandparents were there; I spent many happy hours there as a child. So it's definitely on the list, especially since there's now a medical marijuana dispensary there.

What is it like living there? Cost of living, crime, medical care? Anything you could tell me would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 11:02 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
To me, the main appeal with Guthrie is that much bigger Edmond and Oklahoma City and all the extras they offer, such as specialized medical care, are just a short drive away, a much shorter drive than from Stillwater. (Stillwater is kinda of a popular place to retire for OSU alumnae and sports fans.) Guthrie hasn't been growing as fast as Edmond, so the cost of living should be lower in Guthrie. So don't think you would go wrong by retiring there.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Apparently there's some flooding issues, but that's everywhere. Looks like housing is inexpensive. My parents are both buried there. I'm a violinist and started on my mother's violin which was bought in a luthier shop in Guthrie which is still in business. Looks like Bluegrass is very popular, but I play and teach that. I bet I could get lots of students.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:50 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Apparently there's some flooding issues, but that's everywhere. Looks like housing is inexpensive. My parents are both buried there. I'm a violinist and started on my mother's violin which was bought in a luthier shop in Guthrie which is still in business. Looks like Bluegrass is very popular, but I play and teach that. I bet I could get lots of students.
Yes, the Bluegrass festival is huge. Every October.

Guthrie is still kind of sleepy. Most of it's growth has actually been south of town in numerous sub divisions in the woods between Guthrie and Edmond. The main drag (Division) can be a headache at times. I think crime can be an issue there but it mostly depends on where you live. There are some great vintage neighborhoods throughout the town with some stunning old homes.

As mentioned earlier on the thread, in Guthrie you get a sleepy 1950s feel but you are just a few minutes away from larger city amenities.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:55 AM

It would be nice to revisit both grandparent's houses, and the places my parents walked, but on reflection, there's probably not enough going on to keep me occupied, I'm neither conservative, religious or very interested in Bluegrass. I'm also concerned about cancer rates, earthquakes (from fracking) and tornadoes and floods.

I had so many conflicts with my parents, a culture that is reflective of their values might be a bad choice. Some of their values, anyway.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:06 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It would be nice to revisit both grandparent's houses, and the places my parents walked, but on reflection, there's probably not enough going on to keep me occupied, I'm neither conservative, religious or very interested in Bluegrass. I'm also concerned about cancer rates, earthquakes (from fracking) and tornadoes and floods.

I had so many conflicts with my parents, a culture that is reflective of their values might be a bad choice. Some of their values, anyway.
I've seen some of your posts on various topics so I a sort of know where you are coming from. Judging from what you have mentioned I'd think you'd be best suited for the core area of OKC, Tulsa or in Norman to be around like minded people.

While Oklahoma is very conservative the "culture" that you are looking for does exist. It is small but very tight, and pretty active. A person could live in Guthrie and access all that but there wouldn't be a lot going on locally right there in Guthrie. However, I'm sure even in Guthrie you could find like minded friends if you were willing to look.

Some on here routinely express frustration that their views aren't the dominant ones around here. If you would be frustrated by that then you want to steer clear of here.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:24 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've seen some of your posts on various topics so I a sort of know where you are coming from. Judging from what you have mentioned I'd think you'd be best suited for the core area of OKC, Tulsa or in Norman to be around like minded people.

While Oklahoma is very conservative the "culture" that you are looking for does exist. It is small but very tight, and pretty active. A person could live in Guthrie and access all that but there wouldn't be a lot going on locally right there in Guthrie. However, I'm sure even in Guthrie you could find like minded friends if you were willing to look.

Some on here routinely express frustration that their views aren't the dominant ones around here. If you would be frustrated by that then you want to steer clear of here.
You said it a lot nicer than I could have.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Oh, please don't mention Tulsa. This probably has nothing to do with Tulsa and everything to do with me, but my dad was a car dealer and we moved to Tulsa before my senior year of high school. I spoke French, played the violin and had my head in a book most of the time. And I was 6'3". I might as well have been from Mars. I had *one* friend in high school, this AFS exchange student from Italy.

I was always miserable when I visited. Just the thought of Tulsa makes me unhappy.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You said it a lot nicer than I could have.
Well sorry. People were very abusive to me when I was there. Looks like you're carrying on the tradition.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:52 AM

339 posts, read 171,140 times
Why don't we all gang up on her like a pack of wild dogs, criticizing and abusing her. That's always a lot of fun, right? Anyone who is different, no matter how innocent. Anyone who dares to deviate from the norm gets it. Maybe she'll even cry.

Wouldn't that be GREAT?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma