Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Ya know...I can't think of too many spots in the contiguous US, that ISN'T prone to some kind of natural disaster.

Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, Texas...all of those states are prone to tornados. The whole east and gulf coast can be effected by hurricanes, and Louisiana seems particularly prone to flooding. The west coast seems prone to wild fires.

I've lived in Missouri most of my life. I've NEVER seen a tornado with my own eyes. Not to say they haven't happened, because they have, but they're not SOOO prevalent. And I'm a typical Missourian...I'll stand out in the street to try and see a tornado. lol

You left out earthquakes. Blizzards up north. Not too many places where something isn't a problem...just a matter of picking your poison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 PM

41 posts, read 34,489 times
I'm 76 years old and saw the results of. a tornado around the age of 8 (trees knocked down) but have never seen a tornado other than videos and the news. and I've lived her the majority of my life-although not all my life yet...
I'm not particularly concerned about tornados, I'd like to see on from a distance but so far I haven't. so if you're concerned or worried about tornados there is no reason to be unless the weatherman says head for your safe place.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Ive iived in tornado alley alot of my life. I worry.more about being injured or dying in a car wreck than being directly impacted impacted by a tornado. Living is risky but well worth the risk vs the alternative.

Floods hurricanes and earthquakes and driving dangers afe all above tornados in Texas and Oklahoma. Tornados rarely hit and when they do but they impact an extremely small part of Oklahoma or Texas. As technology has advanced more timely warnings make tornados easier to avoid now too.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:41 PM

30,139 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1 View Post
I like the cost of living plus the feel of small town in OKC. And it is possible to tornado proof a home.
In the town where I own property there are lots of houses close to 100 years old. They have not had a direct hit during that time. Sure it could happen in the future but its not like every few years you have to rebuild everything. And no you cannot Tornado proof your home. If a large enough tornado crosses right through your house it might totally destroy it. That is what insurance if for. Its like saying I can I accident proof my car? No you cannot.

Two years ago in May I had some car trouble heading back to Oklahoma. Stopped in El Reno and had to stay in a motel for my car to be fixed in the morning. I got my car fixed and headed to my house. Anyways one year later in May a tornado ripped through El Reno and destroyed the motel I stayed in. To be honest that was a little scary.

I have been out here the past 4 years in the time of year where Tornadoes are most likely (spring and early summer) and only had to deal with a tornado warning once (last year in May). The weather people see rotation on the weather radar and issue warnings from that. Sometimes a tornado does not actually form.

Oklahoma is a really nice state. People are friendly. Crime is low especially in the small towns. The weather is mild overall. And it is so green. I came here from the west coast. And I was also worried about tornadoes. Get a house with a storm shelter just in case for your personal safety. But the chances of your house being destroyed in a tornado is very low. In all the time I have been out here I have never seen one.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:51 PM

30,139 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
My best advice is don't live in a trailer park. Tornadoes have been known to eat them!
Where I am there are lots of RV parks with pretty nice 5th wheels there full time. They do not stand a chance in a tornado.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:31 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Make sure you have a basement and a loud weather radio to wake you up. I have lived in Texas and Kansas.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Make sure you have a basement and a loud weather radio to wake you up. I have lived in Texas and Kansas.
Basements aren't real common in Oklahoma, but cool if you can find a house with a basement in good shape.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:54 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
I'm probably not a good one to ask. I left Oklahoma in 1998, one of the reasons being that I got tired of wondering if my house would still be standing every time that the sky got dark. At one house where I lived in Moore, I literally had a tornado siren in my back yard.

I lived in Norman, Moore, Del City and Midwest City during the 20-plus years that I lived in the state. Two of the places where I formerly lived have been wiped off the face of the earth by tornadoes since my departure. I don't miss it whatsoever. I now live in the desert southwest.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Tulsa County is a pretty large and populated place. 700k people in the county. For example, there have been 95 tornados in the county in the last 70 years. A little over 1 per year. But most tornados are small and most by far cause no deaths and no damage.

In the last 70 years only 30 people have been killed in Tulsa County by a tornado. And even that is skewed. With modern weather reporting only one person has been killed in the last quarter century. As a comparison, Coronavirus, which has not been that bad in Tulsa, has killed 61 people in the last three months, or more than twice as many as tornados have in the last 70 years.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-county-ok-tulsa

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We had tornadoes come through in GA, AL, TX not yet in OK. When. I say come through I mean damage. And in Germany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma