Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 05:38 PM

127 posts, read 178,282 times

Advertisements

I live in DFW, but grew up in OKC. Weather's not much different between the two. OKC might get a little more snow, and worse, ice, than we do. I agree that the humidity in this part of the country is something to be reckoned with. The wind comes from the south, off the gulf, most of the summer. As I get older, it gets tougher to deal with because I spend most weekends outside. On the odd days that the humidity drops, usually because of a summer "cold" front from the north, it's like heaven. The temp may only drop one or two degrees, but you can breathe better.

We have family in Phoenix and have been there a few times. It ain't great either. Drier, yes, but also hotter. We're usually in the high 90's, or low 100's. Like 100 -103. Phoenix gets those 110-112 days. Which you can tolerate better is probably personal preference.

You might look to the northern part of AZ. We're looking at Prescott. The higher elevations keep it cooler in the summer. From what I've read on this forum, winter gets some snow, but it's not crippling. And there is a lot of sunshine in the winter. Or if you really like snow, Flagstaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I'd go east like east Tennessee or Charlotte, NC. Much milder weather and no tornadoes. I hate living in Oklahoma, personally. Even North GA. Smaller towns, so that might not work as well for finding a job (or a long commute to Atlanta), but very nice weather and friendly people.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is the typical response of people who have "been" to Phoenix............for a few days. Unless you've been through the 5 month exercise that entails a full Phoenix summer.......you don't get the full effect.
It really depends on whether you are a hot weather person or not. 95 degree afternoons in Phoenix are quite comfortable for me in the shade (95 degrees in OKC, with the humidity, is miserable). It's mostly the 110+ days that are really bad, but despite the stereotype, it's definitely not 110+ all summer long.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It really depends on whether you are a hot weather person or not. 95 degree afternoons in Phoenix are quite comfortable for me in the shade (95 degrees in OKC, with the humidity, is miserable). It's mostly the 110+ days that are really bad, but despite the stereotype, it's definitely not 110+ all summer long.
I won't argue that but you ain't gonna see very many 95 degree days in the summer in Phoenix. This year the last 95 degree or below day was June 2. It was never that cool again until September 21.

You truly have to live there to understand. Yes, the dry heat feels good even at really high temperatures if you care coming from a more humid climate but the dry heat is just relentless. No breaks, it's still above 80 in the middle of the night. The monsoons may drop the temperature but it kicks up the humidity.

In Oklahoma you are really sick of the summer when it finally ends. In Arizona you are real close to going stark raving mad when it ends.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:31 AM

24,557 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
I won't argue that but you ain't gonna see very many 95 degree days in the summer in Phoenix. This year the last 95 degree or below day was June 2. It was never that cool again until September 21.

You truly have to live there to understand. Yes, the dry heat feels good even at really high temperatures if you care coming from a more humid climate but the dry heat is just relentless. No breaks, it's still above 80 in the middle of the night. The monsoons may drop the temperature but it kicks up the humidity.

In Oklahoma you are really sick of the summer when it finally ends. In Arizona you are real close to going stark raving mad when it ends.
This is your personal experience of AZ weather. Being part lizard I thrive in it. OKC has cooled down last week to make socks/closed shoes and fleece a must for me.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:

I definitely understand that. In Oklahoma it's always nice to get the occasional summer day with highs in the 70s/80s. Usually it will come after a cold front with overnight severe weather. There's typically a few days like that every summer and it helps break up the monotony of the heat. In Arizona, you don't get that. Also, the past several years in Oklahoma have also been very nice with ample rainfall and summer cool fronts. I can remember plenty of Oklahoma summers with very little rainfall period during July and August and temps in the mid-high 100s, not much cooler than Phoenix.

I guess I'll have to see what I think after spending an entire summer in Phoenix (I've spent many summer days but never an entire season). I find Oklahoma's winters and springs to be pretty miserable.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I definitely understand that. In Oklahoma it's always nice to get the occasional summer day with highs in the 70s/80s. Usually it will come after a cold front with overnight severe weather. There's typically a few days like that every summer and it helps break up the monotony of the heat. In Arizona, you don't get that. Also, the past several years in Oklahoma have also been very nice with ample rainfall and summer cool fronts. I can remember plenty of Oklahoma summers with very little rainfall period during July and August and temps in the mid-high 100s, not much cooler than Phoenix.

I guess I'll have to see what I think after spending an entire summer in Phoenix (I've spent many summer days but never an entire season). I find Oklahoma's winters and springs to be pretty miserable.
August through mid May is the payoff for living in Arizona. And it's a sure thing each and every year. One problem with Oklahoma is that we have nice days throughout the winter but if you work you don't get to enjoy them and they don't promise they will come on weekends.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:15 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Can anyone here compare Oklahoma to south Texas? I'm trying to decide between Tulsa and San Antonio. I know San Antonio weather well and I figure Tulsa has to be a little bit better, right?

Old 10-19-2019, 09:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
If you want the in the plains Des Moines, Iowa would be a good choice. You'll definitely get the snow and when its not storming its cold, clear and sunny. Big enough city for work, very low unemployment rate, inexpensive real estate, not so big as to be hectic or intimidating. The schools are excellent for the most part in Iowa. You wouldn't need to home school.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This is your personal experience of AZ weather. Being part lizard I thrive in it. OKC has cooled down last week to make socks/closed shoes and fleece a must for me.
Again, it's great for a few days. It ain't great for five months.

The summer of 2011 in OKC was eerily similar to a "typical" Phoenix summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma