Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well, just met a guy from Tucson at church the other day who has family here in OK City.

He says that he much prefers the dry heat of Arizona over the humidity and heat of Central/Eastern Oklahoma.

I think there are many who would trade Arizona for OK City straight-up even though Arizona is in the desert and has very little tree line except in Flagstaff.
Yes, the Arizona to OKC (for a few days) summer transition is very noticeable and uncomfortable for the Arizonan due to the humidity. I've done it many times when I lived out there. Also, out there you can go up the mountain to get out of the heat which we can't do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Can anyone here compare Oklahoma to south Texas? I'm trying to decide between Tulsa and San Antonio. I know San Antonio weather well and I figure Tulsa has to be a little bit better, right?

My dad is from San Antonio. I've been there numerous times, usually in the summer. The summers really aren't that different temp wise. It's a bit warmer, and more humid, than Tulsa. Main difference is it stays hotter longer in south Texas. But, the winter in Tulsa is going to go way beyond what San Antonio experiences. Tulsa averages something like 10 inches of snow. When was the last time it snowed in San Antonio? If I had the choice, I would pick south Texas over northern Okla any day of the week.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoonmom View Post
We have been looking at various states and among the states that we are considering to move to is Oklahoma. We are originally from Australia but have been in the United states for a a couple of years. At the moment we live in Arizona but we are not enjoying the extreme heat in the summer. We are looking for a state with less severe heat. My husband has a series 7 as well as a law degree from Australia but he has not yet done a conversion. We also own a small Maine coon cattery. I have three teens age 14, 16 and 17. I also have a daughter with a young child who will join us later. She has recently lost her husband in Arizona and would like to start a new life with us, wherever we are.

This is what we are looking for and I hope you can help us make a final decision..

1) Family friendly city but not too big. We do not enjoy over crowded areas.
2) We home school therefore schools are not a factor
3) close to an area where my husband can look for work. He will travel alone and set up a few interviews
before we move as a family.
4) We love snow and we love sun, so a mixture would be great. Ideally we are looking for a place with
seasons.
5) I am TERRIFIED of tornadoes! that is the only factor holding me back but I am hoping to find a town
where the chances of tornadoes are minimal.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Ironically, a friend of mine just moved from Flagstaff to Australia...he's originally from southern Oklahoma. Why can't you move further north? The climate up around Sedona is pretty close to what we Okies consider perfect.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sorry, moving to Oklahoma to escape Arizona summer heat won't work. With the much higher summer humidity in Oklahoma, I bet the heat would feel even worse and get more sweaty.
I was going to say this about the heat. I just moved to Stillwater in June and the summer was a huge shock to me. It was way hotter than I expected, downright miserable. It honestly felt hotter here than it did when I lived in Orlando, Florida although as others have pointed out, the season is not as long. Tornadoes terrify me too, but I think the odds are in your favor. People here don't seem overly concerned about them and they hit such a narrow path, that you'll likely never get hit, especially if you ignore tornodo prone areas like Moore, OK (Been hit twice in the past 20 years pretty badly).

That said, I think the only two options as far as cities go are OKC and Tulsa. To me they are both small and spread out. Stillwater is just too boring and slow for me, but hey, it might be right up your alley.

Also, they don't really get snow here. It snows, but it doesn't stick most times and create a magical winter wonderland, so if you want that, you might try another place. I think there are probably other states you should consider... I don't know the weather patterns, but just based on latitude, check out Utah and Colorado, maybe even some parts of northern New Mexico, or hell, even northern AZ. Have you looked at Flagstaff? Oooh yeah, or Sedona. That's a really cool town.

Last edited by stablegenius; 11-10-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-12-2019, 10:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Last summer didn't have much of anything unusual for heat. Really unusual was the very wet spring. What was really a more than seriously hot summer in Oklahoma was 2011. It had more days going over 100 than in history of Oklahoma. Nearly every day in July got up to 100 or better. The summer peaked out at around 112. Little rain in July and August didn't help matters. Nobody in Oklahoma, who hadn't spent a summer in the desert, had lived through anything like it.

Last two winters were unusual for not getting typical amounts of snow. Maybe this winter will have more snow.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I was going to say this about the heat. I just moved to Stillwater in June and the summer was a huge shock to me. It was way hotter than I expected, downright miserable. It honestly felt hotter here than it did when I lived in Orlando, Florida although as others have pointed out, the season is not as long.
I've lived in Florida and the main difference is that Oklahoma dries up a little bit when it gets really hot.

And the other irony for you is that this was the longest summer I can ever remember. This was THE WORST September I can ever remember. And what was unusual is that generally the first half of September is like August and the second half is fall. This year September was more like June.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've lived in Florida and the main difference is that Oklahoma dries up a little bit when it gets really hot.

And the other irony for you is that this was the longest summer I can ever remember. This was THE WORST September I can ever remember. And what was unusual is that generally the first half of September is like August and the second half is fall. This year September was more like June.

Well, you got your wish because part of October and November so far has felt almost like January or February.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

But on the good side, it was rainy in July and August and I don't think we had a single day hit 100 this year. And only a couple of days last year.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well, you got your wish because part of October and November so far has felt almost like January or February.
Yes. I have to go back to maybe the 1970s to remember Octobers and Novembers like this.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
But on the good side, it was rainy in July and August and I don't think we had a single day hit 100 this year. And only a couple of days last year.
At my house one day had 100 in July and one day in August. I think Regional Cooling has been going on. Will it spread and become Global Cooling? Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma