U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:29 PM

11 posts, read 64,666 times

Advertisements

My Hubby and I and our 18 year old son are moving to the McAlester area and I would love to get feedback on homes. We drove up last week and checked it out, we loved the "slow pace". We can't wait to get out of the "rat race". We moved to Houston 14 years ago from Duncan OK and loved it at first, but now we are older and ready for the relaxing years. We are boaters and would love to live near Lake Eufaula. Anyone got any suggestions??? Thanks a bunch and a big texas howdy to y'all.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,234,851 times
Hi katfromhouston, and welcome to the forum!

Do you want to live in town, or have some land?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:38 AM

6,987 posts, read 9,555,057 times
I have also done some researching of the McAlester area, and even made a contact regarding a possible job opportunity for me there. However, I have some concerns about the area because I know "Big Mac", Oklahoma's maximum security prison, is located there. In my experience, the general area surrounding a prison of this type can be pretty "rough", mostly due to relatives of the inmates moving in to be closer to their family members who are incarcerated there. Sometimes the relatives on the outside are not much better than their family members on the inside! Just wondered what the situation is there, or anyones viewpoint or opinion on whether or not the presence of the prison is a negative factor on the area - something to worry about or not?

Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 PM

That is an interesting question, montanamom.

McAlester is known as the epicenter of corrupt politics in Oklahoma. That would be a bigger concern for me than living close to the prison.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 AM

435 posts, read 719,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I have also done some researching of the McAlester area, and even made a contact regarding a possible job opportunity for me there. However, I have some concerns about the area because I know "Big Mac", Oklahoma's maximum security prison, is located there. In my experience, the general area surrounding a prison of this type can be pretty "rough", mostly due to relatives of the inmates moving in to be closer to their family members who are incarcerated there. Sometimes the relatives on the outside are not much better than their family members on the inside! Just wondered what the situation is there, or anyones viewpoint or opinion on whether or not the presence of the prison is a negative factor on the area - something to worry about or not?
McAlester is a large small town. It's too large for the quality to be effected by a hand full of inmate families living in the area.

You will find McAlester filled with warm, friendly, gracious and hospitable people.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 AM

That's good to hear! Except about the corrupt politicians, but I"m afraid that's widespread these days and not just in Oklahoma. It takes citizens paying attention and getting involved to change that.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM

McAlester is one of the prettiest towns in Oklahoma, located in a scenic area.

The town itself is facing some tough choices, as the corrupt politicians recently "stole" quite a bit of money from the town (not to mention the state). They are a little hard up as far as providing services like street work, water system work, etc. I think the citizens there will pay a lot more attention in the future.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 AM

OK Peggy, now you've piqued my curiosity. Are there articles where I can read about the "goings on" with the political corruption there in McAlester? Maybe I'll try a search on News OK. Almost nothing makes my blood boil like elected officials with their hands in the cookie jar.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM

I read this newspaper online, since it is the closest larger town to us.

McAlester News-Capital, McAlester, OK - Homepage

It has to do with the former city manager of McAlester, the dog food plant, and about 50 years of corruption before that.

I hope this is true. U.S. attorney says, 'An old way of doing business is being nudged toward the dustbin of history'

Last edited by peggydavis; 04-22-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanks Peggy, that was interesting reading, and that online link to the newspaper is a good resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma