U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 PM
 
7,869 posts, read 4,897,024 times
Reputation: 20724

Advertisements

We'll be driving from Southern California to Oklahoma City in December, via I-40. We've been to Oklahoma before (have family there), but have always flown. And we'll be flying back this time; the purpose of driving out is to transfer a car from one place to the other. This isn't a sightseeing trip and we will mainly need to keep moving, but it seems like a shame if we can't stop somewhere for at least a couple of hours to see something new and interesting.

So, if there is anyone here who has made that drive and can recommend something we might enjoy, I'd appreciate it. Flagstaff? Albuquerque? We are "nature" people, so maybe the Petrified Forest? If you could only stop ONCE along this route to sightsee (sleeping overnight doesn't count), where would you stop?

Anything we should know about making this drive in later December, weather-wise? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
8,286 posts, read 6,896,181 times
Reputation: 7397
Oak Creek Canyon Flagstaff to Sedona and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2019, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,018 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Anything we should know about making this drive in later December, weather-wise? Thanks for any advice.
Yeah, better hope a snow storm doesn't come that is so heavy that part of I-40 has to be closed. Avoid trying to drive in heavy snow at night. In other words, avoid driving through white outs. It's too hard to see the snow covered road. I've done it once before and swore I would never do it again even though I made it home okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM
 
7,869 posts, read 4,897,024 times
Reputation: 20724
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, better hope a snow storm doesn't come that is so heavy that part of I-40 has to be closed. Avoid trying to drive in heavy snow at night. In other words, avoid driving through white outs. It's too hard to see the snow covered road. I've done it once before and swore I would never do it again even though I made it home okay.
Yeah, that would be bad. We have little to no experience driving in snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 PM
 
7,869 posts, read 4,897,024 times
Reputation: 20724
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oak Creek Canyon Flagstaff to Sedona and back.
That sounds like a great idea, if the weather is good (and I can talk my husband into a 2-hour detour)! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2019, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,777 posts, read 2,087,713 times
Reputation: 7402
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, better hope a snow storm doesn't come that is so heavy that part of I-40 has to be closed. Avoid trying to drive in heavy snow at night. In other words, avoid driving through white outs. It's too hard to see the snow covered road. I've done it once before and swore I would never do it again even though I made it home okay.
Yes, watch the weather. Worst snow storm I was ever in was at Amarillo over Christmas years ago. Nothing moving on I-40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
18,119 posts, read 8,148,453 times
Reputation: 7672
I drive the I-40 to Holbrook route almost every winter en route to Phoenix. I pick up I-40 at Amarillo, and have had to twice take the southern route through Tucson; when I lived in Tucson it was the other way, AZ to OK. I-40 has been closed a couple times in the past decade for a day or two due to snow, but normally the weather is clear, and of all the times I have done the trip, I have had to reroute once. Even then, I spent a day in Las Cruces because I-10 (!) was closed between Deming and Tucson, there are some higher-altitude areas subject to closure, and frankly the southern parts of AZ and NM are just not prepared or equipped the way they are on US 70 near Ruidoso. Every state from CA to OK has a web site that shows the road conditions, some are GIS-based and are very good at showing closures and road conditions, links below from my bookmarks. Plan ahead if you need to take I-10 through Tucson to either US 70 to Roswell or I-20 to the DFW area... it adds at least a half day.

In 2015 I had to leave the Phoenix area a day early to get ahead of the snow. The interstate was clear all the way but the subsequent ice storm and high winds left me somewhat without power in SW OK for a week; having learned the lessons of 2010, I have a generator that powers most of the home.

AZ: https://az511.com/

NM: https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html?

TX: https://drivetexas.org/#/7/32.340/-99.500

OK: https://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View...9ccfd58d92c3da
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM
 
7,869 posts, read 4,897,024 times
Reputation: 20724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I drive the I-40 to Holbrook route almost every winter en route to Phoenix. I pick up I-40 at Amarillo, and have had to twice take the southern route through Tucson; when I lived in Tucson it was the other way, AZ to OK. I-40 has been closed a couple times in the past decade for a day or two due to snow, but normally the weather is clear, and of all the times I have done the trip, I have had to reroute once. Even then, I spent a day in Las Cruces because I-10 (!) was closed between Deming and Tucson, there are some higher-altitude areas subject to closure, and frankly the southern parts of AZ and NM are just not prepared or equipped the way they are on US 70 near Ruidoso. Every state from CA to OK has a web site that shows the road conditions, some are GIS-based and are very good at showing closures and road conditions, links below from my bookmarks. Plan ahead if you need to take I-10 through Tucson to either US 70 to Roswell or I-20 to the DFW area... it adds at least a half day.

In 2015 I had to leave the Phoenix area a day early to get ahead of the snow. The interstate was clear all the way but the subsequent ice storm and high winds left me somewhat without power in SW OK for a week; having learned the lessons of 2010, I have a generator that powers most of the home.

AZ: https://az511.com/

NM: https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html?

TX: https://drivetexas.org/#/7/32.340/-99.500

OK: https://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View...9ccfd58d92c3da
Thanks very much for this valuable info; I am going to save the links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
18,018 posts, read 14,340,547 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Yes, watch the weather. Worst snow storm I was ever in was at Amarillo over Christmas years ago. Nothing moving on I-40.
Years ago, one night shortly after I exited I-35 at Highway 51 during a heavy snowstorm, I-35 was closed north of Oklahoma City to no surprise of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM
 
1,501 posts, read 1,164,616 times
Reputation: 3623
Stop in Amarillo for the big-steak challenge. If you can eat a 72oz steak, you get it free.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/big-texan-steak-challenge/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top