Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,027 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am an NP and will be relocating to the Muskogee area from Virginia to work at the VA Medical Center. We're black and have a 5-year old in kindergarten. I'm looking for input on decent areas to live. I understand Muskogee is far from the urban area we're used to. Pretty much looking for a decent area with amenities in a decent school zone. I don't mind commuting 20-30 minutes.

Last edited by Raven_Nicci; 11-06-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 03:36 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Nicci View Post
Hello,

I am an NP and will be relocating to the Muskogee area from Virginia to work at the VA Medical Center. We're black and have a 5-year old in kindergarten. I'm looking for input on decent areas to live. I understand Muskogee is far from the urban area we're used to. Pretty much looking for a decent area with amenities in a decent school zone. I don't mind commuting 20-30 minutes.
There are some nice parts of Muskogee to live in. In fact, the VA is located smack dab in the middle of one. Honor Heights neighborhood is stunningly nice and IMO one of the nicest old traditional neighborhoods in Oklahoma (but remember this isn't Virginia out here). There is a grade school in that neighborhood. However, HH might not be what you are looking for (older homes, more older people).

Fort Gibson seems to be the up and coming "suburban" neighborhood. Fort Gibson is across the river from Muskogee. The bad part is that it is on the exact opposite side of town from the VA. I believe that NE Muskogee over by Bacone College is where most of the newer home construction has been occurring over the past couple of decades. (I don't know this for sure because when I go there I'm always on the west side of town).

As an Oklahoman I am so happy and grateful to have an NP come to our state!!

Old 11-21-2020, 02:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Nicci View Post
Hello,

I am a Oklahoma/ California Transplant , 40 + years , maybe I can help you on this. I am motivated to respond to this thread because I was stationed in Virginia in the United States Coast Guard at Yorktown Virginia. I find myself feeling obligated to help anyone from the great state of Virginia.

Muskogee OK is just 50 miles away from Tulsa Oklahoma and the two cities are connected by a Turnpike . I have been to all of the Virginia cities in the 1970s Richmond , Portsmouth , Chesapeake. , Norfolk , Hampton , Virginia Beach , and none of them have more to offer than Tulsa Oklahoma. Tulsa Oklahoma has two world-class Museums Philbrook and Gilcrease Museums , which also has satellite Museums in downtown Tulsa , the world-class BOK Arena , world class live music night club The Cain's Ballroom , the Woody Guthrie Museum , the Hardesty Museum , and soon to open the red hot Museum of popular Arts the OKPOP to open in North Downtown Tulsa. Tulsa also has it's Fame Riverside Park , plus the highly proclaimed Gathering Place a 500 million dollar urban Park rated 2019 greatest Park in the United States of America.

Tulsa Oklahoma Satellite City Broken Arrow Oklahoma , wouldl place you 15 to 20 miles closer to Muskogee than Tulsa OK would. I would just live there in BA and just commute into Muskogee . I am also African American and the Broken Arrow Oklahoma school district is a Good School District I even sent my two kids to a private Broken Arrow School back in 1988 when I was living in Tulsa for two years.

Last edited by Howest2008; 11-21-2020 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma