Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You better have a big yard and a stout fence. Buffalo will walk right through a 5 strand barbwire fence, so you would probably need at least a range fence that is pretty goat tight.......either that or a 40 (minimum) acre yard with a good fence.

I think the auction over in Prague has an exotic animal auction once a month, and there are frequently buffalo calves on sale there. If you need a processor, I know a guy who kills for a living.

If it were me, I would just check the super markets and buy the meat, or locate a buffalo breeder in your area and buy one that is ready for the slaughterhouse. You should be able to get one for under $1500 and processing should only be about $300 or so, not bad for 1,000 pounds of meat. You will spend another $1,000 or more to get the head mounted and the hide cured.........
WHAT!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Have you ever watched "Paul James, Gardening by the Yard". BJB and I love to watch his show, he's from Oklahoma.
Never seen the show. I don't watch a lot of TV. I Tivo most everything that I watch and don't surf channels but I'd watch it. What station is it on?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:04 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
[I thought you took a picture of my garden! We used the hog panels this yar ourselves. I did about 10 of them and planted the tomatoes every 3 feet next to them. beans on both sides on two of them and cucumbers on one of them. My tomatoes are not looking as good as I want. I am very worry abuot them. I did all my plants from seeds this year and I'll give those tomatoes another week before I might do some buying of plants. They have a yellow tint to them. Debbie at Bountiful

bell peppers, not planted yet, ran out of steam

watemelons, not planted, the seeds we had have not sprouted.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1110.jpg (broken link)

I nearly died after only 2 minutes of planting. Man, how pathetic is that? Don't answer that. Any other gardeners out there?

Post your pics of your pigs and goats too![/quote]

Old 05-05-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,661 times
gardening... mmm. do that every year all my life.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossCroft View Post
gardening... mmm. do that every year all my life.
Hello...and Welcome to CD.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Finally got our tomatoes planted. Well, almost all of them.

27 mater plants

6 mounds of squash and zucchini squash

bell peppers, not planted yet, ran out of steam

watemelons, not planted, the seeds we had have not sprouted.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1110.jpg (broken link)

I nearly died after only 2 minutes of planting. Man, how pathetic is that? Don't answer that. Any other gardeners out there?

Post your pics of your pigs and goats too!
RB, what did you use to turn the soil?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
No, GP, I'm buying, not selling Thought I would try some buffalo meat. Doug knows what it is, but I won't tell the kids until they've eaten it. Or maybe not then either.

Wichita Buffalo Company LLC

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
RB, what did you use to turn the soil?
We always use a cheapo roto-tiller, but this year I had to pay someone to do it, because last year it tore my back up. Now Don wants more cleared out because there is no room for the watermelons.

He said we couldn't plant watermelon next to the squash because they will get too friendly and have watersquash children. I am not knowledgable on gardening.

And to tell the truth, I hate all the weeding and stuff during the summer months. But Don likes to can tomatoes/squash/onions all together in one jar. It tastes great in the winter to have that over hamburger.

One year we had the whole gamut of every thing under the sun and then Don had surgery, so I was giving away three bags of tomatoes per day!

And one year I had 5 habaneros and 10 jalapenos. That was cool. Painful, but good.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Here's how my garden looked on March 20. I will try to take another pic when it stops raining here. I now have 18 tomatoes, 24 peppers, onions, peas, and a line of potatoes. Watermelon & cantaloupe have not sprouted yet.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Here's how my garden looked on March 20. I will try to take another pic when it stops raining here. I now have 18 tomatoes, 24 peppers, onions, peas, and a line of potatoes. Watermelon & cantaloupe have not sprouted yet.

Peggy.I'd love to see picture like tha with everything green around there

I like your new Mercedes in the car port
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma